IGNORED

M-Network Cart Logevity?

Mockduck

In all my years of collecting Atari VCS carts, I've only had two that I was simply unable to revive, no matter how much rubbing alcohol and scrubbing I did: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe and Kool-Aid Man, both M-Network carts. Is this just pure un-luck, or is there something about the M-Network carts that make them less survivable over the years?

M-Network carts have trouble fitting in the cartridge slot sometimes. Try wiggling the cart a bit while it's plugged in. Also Kool-Aid Man will crash if the difficulty switch is left in a certain position when starting the game.

The only carts I've had die on me were CBS RAM Plus carts like Tunnel Runner and Mountain King. I think they were more susceptible to static shocks or voltage spikes.

I recently inserted my M-Network games Burgertime and Bump and Jump in my 2600 for the 1st time in over 20 years. Neither worked properly. I think you may be on to something...

Nah, clean up the contacts on the edge connector and try again. Bet they boot right up. Probably just got a little dusty and rusty sitting all that time...

In all my years of collecting Atari VCS carts, I've only had two that I was simply unable to revive, no matter how much rubbing alcohol and scrubbing I did: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe and Kool-Aid Man, both M-Network carts. Is this just pure un-luck, or is there something about the M-Network carts that make them less survivable over the years?

Did u try flipping the difficulty switchs?

Did u try flipping the difficulty switchs?

I didn't! I will give that a try when I get back to the office on Tuesday. Yes, I have an Atari 2600 next to my desk in the office...

For He-Man, I can't get a picture to display at all. For Kool-Aid, I can get a picture to display, but there's a vertical line down the right side of the screen, sort of a series of dashes, from the top to the bottom of the screen, and I can't get the game to start.

Do M-Network use Mask or EPROMs? If it's the latter, it could be bit-rot.

Only protos, I have never come across an EPROM board, taking those apart. Maybe Supergun has.

Ironically, BOMB carts have worse mask ROM's in them, than their counter versions of EPROM populated ones.

^ is that what you call the black silicon or plastic blob on their carts? Always referred to them as shit on a shingle. :lol:

Funny Mattel chose to go that production route with their 2600 games. Much lower cost probably and weren't as concerned about quality compared to their Intellivision releases.

First things first... apparently I can't quote two different people in one reply... it always attributes the second quote to whoever the first quote was from.

Technical Difficulties Aside:

OP:

I've had trouble with 1 M-Network cart over the years: Super Challenge Baseball... it's just dead... I accept it now.

Jason Atari:

I agree, I've had 3 Activision carts die on me: Skiing, Ice Hockey, and Dragster. Luckily I have a dupe of Dragster... but now I still gotta replace the other two... just as well, Ice Hockey had no label (not sure what happened there) and Skiing had SEVERE actiplaque; it's beyond actiplaque, someone must have spilled something on it. I got it from a friend who got it from his older cousin.

Gotta love atari games... I don't think any games for a system since changed so many hands for free like they did.

I like to think of Atari 2600 carts like trading cards. Just so fun to find, collect and trade dupes for.

The italics are in reference to a post I made in another thread, where sometime it's fun to trade while collecting, other times things are so limited... no one would or should trade them!

Edited by Torr

I know M Network games don't always like to agree with 2600 Jrs. I have a few that will work fine but I have to insert them with more force than what should be required because the game fits so tight. Kool Aid Man and He-Man are among them. When I swap over to a 4-switch woody there are no issues with fit whatsoever.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently inserted my M-Network games Burgertime and Bump and Jump in my 2600 for the 1st time in over 20 years. Neither worked properly. I think you may be on to something...

Well I've now tried these 2 games out on my 7800 instead of my 2600 Jr, and I'm happy to say they both work as they should... must be something wrong with my 2600 Jr cartridge contacts.