IGNORED

BASIC Tenliners Contest 2016

Bunsen

OK That was hilarious :D so you didn't play the original Gravity from abbuc contest :twisted: Yes you need to play Gravity / X on the Atari as emulation doesn't read the fire button in a reliable/timed manner (probably down to the PC) : Post #90 has the info and download :)

• Like 1

Hello!

I was curious and wanted to know how it would look like if I put all entries together. Here are the resulting listings for each category, only Atari XL/XE entries:

I think I'll add listings from previous contests. :grin:

BTW, while I was doing this, I found another game that had to be classified as WILD, or it had to be accommodated to qualify in the next category, because it has 11 lines of code (without REM statements).

This is cool, thanks for sharing.

The whole experience has been cool to be honest. Anyone who has ever considered getting into something like this should consider entering next year's 10 liner contest, as it's tremendous fun.

• Like 3

Graviten looks AMAZING for being that little code... Love the colors - i dont remember seeing a color combo like that in atari games back in the day...

Also - to the person whos son is writing atari competition programs - you've got an awesome kid!!!!

Thanks - the Graviten colors are all by luck! I just incremented color registers to differentiate between levels.

This contest blows me away. For one, that little bonus Atari 2600 game is another example of how surprisingly good the compiled BASIC tools are for that platform. I never expect games in BASIC to be any good, but somehow someone got a Tempest clone. Using that string as a pre-rendered background frame buffer was brilliant.

I did notice that the joystick handling could have been optimized ever so slightly:

IF S=7:A=A-1:IF A<0:A=11:END.:END.

could be reduced to

IF S=7:A=(A+11)MOD12:END.

If you can add FOR L=1TO200 to the beginning of line 60, then you can replace the end of the loop's L=L+1:IF L=200:END:END.:GOTO60 with NEXT L:END

• Like 3

This contest blows me away. For one, that little bonus Atari 2600 game is another example of how surprisingly good the compiled BASIC tools are for that platform. I never expect games in BASIC to be any good, but somehow someone got a Tempest clone. Using that string as a pre-rendered background frame buffer was brilliant.

I did notice that the joystick handling could have been optimized ever so slightly:

IF S=7:A=A-1:IF A<0:A=11:END.:END.

could be reduced to

IF S=7:A=(A+11)MOD12:END.

If you can add FOR L=1TO200 to the beginning of line 60, then you can replace the end of the loop's L=L+1:IF L=200:END:END.:GOTO60 with NEXT L:END

Thank you!! :) There's a discussion on trying that 2600 BASIC if any Atari 8-bit programmers want to give it a try for next year's contest!

This is cool, thanks for sharing.

The whole experience has been cool to be honest. Anyone who has ever considered getting into something like this should consider entering next year's 10 liner contest, as it's tremendous fun.

X2! :)

Hey!!! I've received my prizes!!!

post-20192-0-23972300-1462391870_thumb.jpg

This is the unboxing picture... Both prizes were at the bottom of the parcel covered by some balls of a local newspaper in german:

post-20192-0-78557800-1462391886_thumb.jpg

This is the SIO2BT kit. I'll have some fun this weekend... I guess I've to download some instructions from somewhere!

post-20192-0-95414400-1462391904_thumb.jpg

I was very curious about what could be the "Medal of Honor from Lübeck" prize...

post-20192-0-63223800-1462391918_thumb.jpg

Now, I'm happy like the kid in the newspaper :-D

Thank you, Gunnar!

• Like 4

Well,

the "Medal of Honour" prize is something to eat, it is called Marzipan in german, searched for an english translation and google gave me marzipan ?!? It is made of sugar, almonds and afaik the one from Luebeck also with rose-water (not everyone likes the taste of it)... ;-)

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...