IGNORED

This will begin to put things right...

CyranoJ

I have a couple of oddball questions.

Are you far enough along yet to be able to list all of the controller buttons that will be needed to play this game on the Jaguar?

Do you think you'll be able to retain the logic that allows the game to play on the ST with a trackball?

Yes. Up, Down, Left, Right, Fire.

No. The ST doesn't use a trackball. And the Jaguar doesn't have a trackball.

• Like 1

Elsewhere, I had seen an indication that the ST version supported the trackball. I probably misunderstood and they were just saying that the ST itself supported the trackball.

True, the Jaguar hasn't historically had a trackball. But, if there were a game that supported the necessary inputs that could change. By virtue of the rotary controller support, Tempest 2000 proves that the hardware can support the type of input supplied by trackballs.

Since the game you're working on don't know nuthin' 'bout no trackballs or spinners, I'll let the discussion get back on track.

Thanks for the reply.

(Disclaimer: I have never owned or played with a Jag or an ST or even seen one in person.)

• Like 1

Err you can press 0 on the number pad, just like it says in the notes under the download link....

ANYWAY:

Currently testing a new ROM with:

• All the music ripped from the arcade, triggered at the correct points! (no hooks in the ST code, so this was fun)
  • All the speech ripped from the arcade version (again, no triggers) - plus the 'one in a million' from the ST (which isn't in the arcade)
  • ZeroSquare replayer (all sounds are now 16hkz MuLaw and sound great! ... well, apart from that one ST sample which is 6kh signed)
  • Some other stuff
  • and a splash picture while it unpacks stuff

Will post once my humble army of 2 testers approve ;)

(Oh, and Dr Clu is on the case for changing the YM sfx to the arcade samples)

Awesome! Eff the YM2149 and its recycled explosion noises from Silent Service! :) I swear, those explosions are used in everything on the ST… the Xevious port too.

• Like 1

If the ST recognizes the Trak-Ball as an ST Mouse, then it does work. That's why Atari Corp - and its dealers - modded the later editions of the CX80 to function as an ST Mouse.

BigO is working on adapter cables to use a 5200 CX53 Trak-Ball Controller with other Atari systems by making the systems believe it to be a CX80. So if an ST port of a game supports the ST Mouse and that feature is retained when the game is ported over to the Jaguar, then a Trak-Ball could be used.

ST Star Wars on the Jag would be an interesting selection because the 2600 Parker Bros version was recently modded for Trak-Ball support.

Dan Kramer, the father of Atari's Consumer Trak-Balls, is interested in seeing any of his Trak-Ball controllers work with the Jag.

If the ST recognizes the Trak-Ball as an ST Mouse, then it does work. That's why Atari Corp - and its dealers - modded the later editions of the CX80 to function as an ST Mouse.

BigO is working on adapter cables to use a 5200 CX53 Trak-Ball Controller with other Atari systems by making the systems believe it to be a CX80. So if an ST port of a game supports the ST Mouse and that feature is retained when the game is ported over to the Jaguar, then a Trak-Ball could be used.

ST Star Wars on the Jag would be an interesting selection because the 2600 Parker Bros version was recently modded for Trak-Ball support.

Dan Kramer, the father of Atari's Consumer Trak-Balls, is interested in seeing any of his Trak-Ball controllers work with the Jag.

*shrug*

I'm not spending additional time porting games to an even smaller subset (with trackballs that don't even exist yet) of an already small audience, no matter how many times you bring it up ;)

Edited by CyranoJ
  • Like 4

*shrug*

I'm not spending additional time porting games to an even smaller subset (with trackballs that don't even exist yet) of an already small audience, no matter how many times you bring it up ;)

Awesome Job CJ love the cd version, think ill be up late again shooting the enemy fighters down and trying to destroy the Death Star.

• Like 1

Watching the video it looks and sounds great. It seems the Jagpad is not the ideal controller for this version - unless Clu had 1 too many before playing :) - The target sighting seems to move in chunks making it hard to pinpoint what you want to shoot. I dont think Clu got 1 tower?

Not criticism, the work is awesome and I love seeing these on the Jag.

Watching the video it looks and sounds great. It seems the Jagpad is not the ideal controller for this version - unless Clu had 1 too many before playing :) - The target sighting seems to move in chunks making it hard to pinpoint what you want to shoot. I dont think Clu got 1 tower?

Not criticism, the work is awesome and I love seeing these on the Jag.

On the second pass I got two towers. Now I know you can reverse the Y Axis buy hitting "0" so I might try that too.

• Like 1

*shrug*

As long as the game already supported the ST Mouse then you don't have to do anything else to it as long as you retain the ST Mouse support when you port such games over to the Jaguar. A CX80 Trak-Ball would be treated as if it were an ST Mouse. And then if BigO makes his adapter cable work with the STE/Falcon/Jaguar Enhanced Joystick Port, then a CX53 will appear as an ST Mouse like the CX80.

Now this would be all shot to hell as a hypothetical if ST Star Wars didn't support the ST Mouse. Personally, I can't remember because I haven't played it since 1992 or so.

If the official ST Star Wars doesn't support the ST Mouse, I think that pseudo Star Wars game ST Wars might.

As long as the game already supported the ST Mouse then you don't have to do anything else to it as long as you retain the ST Mouse support when you port such games over to the Jaguar. A CX80 Trak-Ball would be treated as if it were an ST Mouse. And then if BigO makes his adapter cable work with the STE/Falcon/Jaguar Enhanced Joystick Port, then a CX53 will appear as an ST Mouse like the CX80.

Now this would be all shot to hell as a hypothetical if ST Star Wars didn't support the ST Mouse. Personally, I can't remember because I haven't played it since 1992 or so.

If the official ST Star Wars doesn't support the ST Mouse, I think that pseudo Star Wars game ST Wars might.

You do realize that the jaguar doesn't have an ACIA (IKBD), a $118 vector for the keyboard, multiple TRAP functions that could possibly read the mouse (T1/T13), the shadow h/w registers where the mouse differentials are stored (if, indeed, it is in differential mode, or absolute mode), the TOS O/S VBI routine whch can scan it, etc, etc, etc.

So no, it won't 'just work' ;)

• Like 3

You do realize that the jaguar doesn't have an ACIA (IKBD), a $118 vector for the keyboard, multiple TRAP functions that could possibly read the mouse (T1/T13), the shadow h/w registers where the mouse differentials are stored (if, indeed, it is in differential mode, or absolute mode), the TOS O/S VBI routine whch can scan it, etc, etc, etc.

I get so hot when you talk tech. :D

• Like 7

So no, it won't 'just work' ;)

Well, then how are people using the ST Mouse on ported ST games on the Jaguar? People posted in another thread that there were at least 2 ST games ported to the Jag that they are using ST Mice on with a specific adapter cable. Is the ST Mouse just being mapped as a JagPad then?

Edited by Lynxpro

Well, then how are people using the ST Mouse on ported ST games on the Jaguar? People posted in another thread that there were at least 2 ST games ported to the Jag that they are using ST Mice on with a specific adapter cable. Is the ST Mouse just being mapped as a JagPad then?

They aren't. They're using native jag games designed to use the adapter.

• Like 2

They aren't. They're using native jag games designed to use the adapter.

Well, smeg. :)

Since you're actively in the thread at the moment, did your original ST patches/upgrades to Gauntlet II & III add support for the Enhanced Joystick Ports and extra buttons or did you keep the patching to CPU speed, hard drive installation, TOS variants, etc? And would Gauntlet III be worth porting to the Jag?

• Like 1