Photo

Edladdin Colecovision Controller Kickstarter now LIVE!

317 replies to this topic

#301 moycon OFFLINE  

moycon

Quadrunner

• 21,903 posts
  • moycon?? What the hell is that??

Posted Fri Jun 9, 2017 2:36 PM

I would love to get my hands on one of these controllers! I just noticed they are made in Athens, GA  very cool!! 

#302 Chak OFFLINE  

Chak

Combat Commando

• 7 posts

Posted Fri Jun 9, 2017 5:09 PM

<cut>

I still have not decided whether to offer the Super Arcade Controller PLUS after the initial stock has been depleted.   Tthe price is going to have to move from $199 in the Kickstarter to $249.00 in the store.  The finished product turned out to be much more expensive than estimated, most significantly in time to build one, which is a minimum of three hours and usually more.  For the same reason, the Super Arcade Controller and Seagull CV controller adapters are probably completely dead.  They are more expensive to build than I think anyone would consider paying.  :-(

<cut>

------

That's it.  Tried not write a wall of text, but it seems to have happened anyway.  

Let me know your questions!  And THANK YOU for all your support while we went down this rabbit hole together.  Its been a crazy ride.

Best wishes,

Ed

Ed,

Your attention to this project and willingness to do the right thing is great.  I'm happy that I have the 2 controllers and Seagull CV Adapter that I have, but I am disappointed that this has (seemingly) proven untenable as a product.  Particularly the adapter.  I, for one, would love to have fewer controllers around by way of adapters.  (Honestly, 2 Super CV Controllers with Seagull CV Adapters is a more storage-effective solution than 2 Super CV + 2 Atari controllers.  Plus the Seagull adds Genesis controllers to the mix.) That, unfortunately, seems like a dead end at the moment.

I hope that the Atari 5200 project isn't derailed by this madness, and that upon completion of that you can show some Vectrex love.  These things are built like tanks and I have no doubts about their longevity.  While I don't have a 5200 at the moment, I'm sure I will get one in the next 5 years but based on reviews, that will be largely up to you - without a good controller I won't get involved with the 5200.  And I would jump on getting a Vectrex controller now.

Perhaps one day we'll know exactly what the issues are.  At least you will be offering a great (nearly perfect) product going forward.

#303 TPR ONLINE  

TPR

Stargunner

• 1,612 posts

Posted Fri Jun 9, 2017 5:25 PM

TL:DR

• Brand new Super CV controller delivers 100% compatibility with some ColecoVision consoles, but not every CV console.
  • Super Arcade Controllers and SAC PLUS deliver 100% compatibility on all four input channels, as well as output to the Atari and CV Flashback console.  But on the classic ColecoVision a couple of specific glitches remain untamed on certain CV games - mostly recent homebrews.  We have no idea how to fix them.

Fantastic news Ed!  Thank you!  I'll be more than happy with these results.

#304 AtariBrian OFFLINE  

AtariBrian

River Patroller

• 3,211 posts

Posted Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:20 PM

I recently received my Edladdin controller and love it . I went with a bottom switching 4/8 way silent joystick and my friend cut the hole for easy switching . Nothing beats true 4 way and 8 way  . 

Attached Thumbnails

• 4 8 way coleco controller.JPG

#305 Swami OFFLINE  

Swami

Moonsweeper

• 458 posts

Posted Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:16 PM

I recently received my Edladdin controller and love it . I went with a bottom switching 4/8 way silent joystick and my friend cut the hole for easy switching . Nothing beats true 4 way and 8 way  . 

Is the 4-way setting diamond or square corner configuration (corners are at diagonals for square and L/R/U/D for diamond)?

#306 spaceman OFFLINE  

spaceman

Star Raider

• 78 posts

Posted Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:59 AM

Hi Ed, so if I understand well, if my current Colecovision with stock controllers works fine with Defender and Interphase Aquattack, then the New Super CV controller will work flawlessly with all the original and homebrew games? Any other games I could test with a stock controller to make sure this is the best decision for me? Thanks again for all the hard work. Jon

#307 AtariBrian OFFLINE  

AtariBrian

River Patroller

• 3,211 posts

Posted Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:14 PM

Is the 4-way setting diamond or square corner configuration (corners are at diagonals for square and L/R/U/D for diamond)?

Diamond for 4-way . I have played Side Trak and Pac-Man Collection so far and it works great ! 

#308 edladdin OFFLINE  

edladdin

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 405 posts

Posted Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:16 AM

These days the connections are all soldered, but this illustrates the operation of the restrictor plate.

Attached Thumbnails

• PARTS-Supreme-78-All-Play-wiring-c.jpg

#309 edladdin OFFLINE  

edladdin

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 405 posts

Posted Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:23 AM

Hi Ed, so if I understand well, if my current Colecovision with stock controllers works fine with Defender and Interphase Aquattack, then the New Super CV controller will work flawlessly with all the original and homebrew games? Any other games I could test with a stock controller to make sure this is the best decision for me? Thanks again for all the hard work. Jon

Hi!

Thanks for your kind words.

No, that's not correct.  Passing those tests with original controllers is not necessarily predictive of 100% compatibility with a Super CV.   We proved the negative/opposite case - if the original controller failed with those two problems the Super CV did also.

We don't really understand why the three consoles we tested behave differently from one another with the same controller.  Our next guess is to replace the controller chips, but that's just a guess.

Ed

#310 edladdin OFFLINE  

edladdin

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 405 posts

Posted Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:24 AM

That slot looks great!

#311 spaceman OFFLINE  

spaceman

Star Raider

• 78 posts

Posted Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:02 AM

Oh, so now if I understand, there's no way to know until we get the Super CV controller then.

Also how confident are you that if my console was to have issues, the controller chips would be the problem? And if they are, how easy are they to find and replace?

Pretty sure I'll go with this and hope my RGB modded console will pass the test (if not at least my AV modded one). Thanks, Jon

Hi!

Thanks for your kind words.

No, that's not correct.  Passing those tests with original controllers is not necessarily predictive of 100% compatibility with a Super CV.   We proved the negative/opposite case - if the original controller failed with those two problems the Super CV did also.

We don't really understand why the three consoles we tested behave differently from one another with the same controller.  Our next guess is to replace the controller chips, but that's just a guess.

Ed

#312 Swami OFFLINE  

Swami

Moonsweeper

• 458 posts

Posted Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:29 PM

These days the connections are all soldered, but this illustrates the operation of the restrictor plate.

Okay. Sometimes these have octagonal gates - never tore apart a 4/8 so always figured they switched from square to octagonal somehow.

#313 enoofu OFFLINE  

enoofu

Dragonstomper

• 804 posts

Posted Tue Jul 4, 2017 8:10 PM

Apparently Classic Game Room, reviewed your controller

Edited by enoofu, Tue Jul 4, 2017 8:10 PM.

#314 DadsGlasses OFFLINE  

DadsGlasses

Star Raider

• 50 posts

Posted Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:02 PM

Any chance left to buy a Super Arcade Plus controller?

#315 shabazz18 OFFLINE  

shabazz18

Space Invader

• 21 posts

Posted Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:06 PM

I'm pretty bummed I missed out on this. Always late to the party. Just finished rebuilding my power supply and finally have a working CV for the first tim ein 20 years.

#316 edladdin OFFLINE  

edladdin

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 405 posts

Posted Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:49 PM

Apparently Classic Game Room, reviewed your controller

Fantastic!  What a sweet surprise!

#317 edladdin OFFLINE  

edladdin

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 405 posts

Posted Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:57 PM

I'm pretty bummed I missed out on this. Always late to the party. Just finished rebuilding my power supply and finally have a working CV for the first tim ein 20 years.

Both the Super CV and Super Arcade Controller Plus are still in the pipeline for wide release thru both the Edladdin and AtariAge stores!    Here's a Kickstarter pledge Super CV that I finished yesterday, done in the minimalist decoration scheme.

Attached Thumbnails

• Super-CV-00006b.jpg

#318 DadsGlasses OFFLINE  

DadsGlasses

Star Raider

• 50 posts

Posted Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:45 AM

I cannot wait to be able to buy a Super Arcade Controller Plus!!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users