IGNORED

Edladdin Colecovision Controller Kickstarter now LIVE!

edladdin

Im so happy you like the Super Twin 78! I apologize again for the wait, which was way too long.

Speaking of which, Im stuck on a three week long trip, so I brought along the controller building supplies and a bunch of the new enclosures. At the moment Im in the home stretch on completing 18 Super CVs, which should be enough to finish the Kickstarter waitlist and also have a few ready to ship to any and all comers. We can also build anyone a Super Arcade Controller Plus.

I think Albert is also planning to take these live in the AA store.

post-40253-0-21547600-1542152413_thumb.jpeg

I'm really interested in how these will work with the upcoming collectorvision Phoenix system, which supports real CV controllers as well as SNES controllers. Just out of curiosity I wonder if the issue I had with playing Thexder with these or even an extension cord will persist on that. I'd expect some issues that require the battery in the SAC to persist if it is reading the controller the same, but being FPGA based, I'm hoping it won't be so sensitive to a slight power change caused by a short extension cord. It also supports Atari VCS games (via ROM, and will do CV via ROM or real cartridge), but not sure if you have to use real VCS controllers for that. Hoping it will let me use my SAC for both.

I'm really interested in how these will work with the upcoming collectorvision Phoenix system, which supports real CV controllers as well as SNES controllers. Just out of curiosity I wonder if the issue I had with playing Thexder with these or even an extension cord will persist on that. I'd expect some issues that require the battery in the SAC to persist if it is reading the controller the same, but being FPGA based, I'm hoping it won't be so sensitive to a slight power change caused by a short extension cord. It also supports Atari VCS games (via ROM, and will do CV via ROM or real cartridge), but not sure if you have to use real VCS controllers for that. Hoping it will let me use my SAC for both.

I have sent a Super CV and a Super Arcade Controller to Brian Burney for testing with the Phoenix project. The first report is that the Super CV works flawlessly but the SAC is acting glitchy from the keypad, which is disappointing. The SAC he has is my personal player that I really want to play with the eventual Phoenix! But its not a done deal yet... He's going to be tinkering to see what adjustments might be made or what the actual problem is. We might even end up with some insights about why the SAC and SAC Plus glitch with the vintage consoles on certain games.

I have sent a Super CV and a Super Arcade Controller to Brian Burney for testing with the Phoenix project. The first report is that the Super CV works flawlessly...

That's good to hear. I really want a Super CV for my Colecovision and eventual Phoenix that I've pre ordered. I tried ordering the Super CV on edladdin.com but I don't have the required code as I missed the Kickstarter. Looking forward to when we non-Kickstarter backers can order one.

• Like 1

That's good to hear. I really want a Super CV for my Colecovision and eventual Phoenix that I've pre ordered. I tried ordering the Super CV on edladdin.com but I don't have the required code as I missed the Kickstarter. Looking forward to when we non-Kickstarter backers can order one.

It wont be much longer!

I have sent a Super CV and a Super Arcade Controller to Brian Burney for testing with the Phoenix project. The first report is that the Super CV works flawlessly but the SAC is acting glitchy from the keypad, which is disappointing. The SAC he has is my personal player that I really want to play with the eventual Phoenix! But its not a done deal yet... He's going to be tinkering to see what adjustments might be made or what the actual problem is. We might even end up with some insights about why the SAC and SAC Plus glitch with the vintage consoles on certain games.

Looks like we should be good for Super Arcade Controller Compatability ;)

The SAC wasn't able to drive the pins down low enough to trigger due to the pull ups on the level converters being too strong. Fixing that issue got things working.

• Like 1

Good news everyone! I've finished that batch of Super CVs, which should be enough units to cover the remainder of the post-Kickstarter waitlist. I also have 4 Super Arcade Controller Plus units that are 2/3 built, which is as far as you can go without knowing the button color selections.

A little while ago, everyone remaining on the list was notified via AA Messenger, FB Messenger, and the one guy through the Kickstarter interface (however they got in touch with me) that they are all welcome to place their orders. If you think you are on the list but did NOT hear from me, please send me a message.

We should be moving into the online stores for everyone to order in the first week of December.

Let me know if you have any questions!

post-40253-0-06995600-1542491149_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick note to let everyone know that the Super CV is officially live at the AtariAge and Edladdin stores! I think we've got 5-6 more finished Super CVs that are ready to customize and ship from the big batch I built over the Thanksgiving holiday. Plenty of raw goods to build the next batch after that, but naturally the finished ones will move much more quickly.

Here's the AA link:

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1190

------

I've got three Super Arcade Controller Plus units to finish, and then the Kickstarter waitlist will officially be history!

• Like 2

Any plans for a Vectrex controller in the Future Ed? Or maybe you have a pro tip of how to adapt a Supertwin 78?

Absolutely! I plan to put it in the same exact case as the Super CV - stick on the left and four buttons to the right. It will be called the Super VX.

Im actively searching for the best possible self-centering analog joystick, either a quality potentiometer stick or a Hall-effect stick that does not break the bank. (This is the missing link for the Super 52, as well.) Ive also purchased a couple of the 5k/10k sticks that are widely available from China through eBay and Alibaba. Im skeptical about whether these will hold up with real gameplay, so Ive built a little tester to find out while working on the 5200 I/O board.

I see where people have used them in original-sized Vectrex controllers. What are peoples experience with these? If they work out, Im going to talk to the Chinese and see if I can get them with bare, threaded shafts so I can put ball tops on them the way the good lord intended. That little peg wont cut it for an arcade controller.

Id also like to deliver an on-board paddle function - some version of what you see on this Super 52 mock-up - if there is enthusiasm for the idea.

And I just got my first Vectrex and a Sean Kelly multicart! Ive wanted one since I first saw them in Electronic Games all those years ago, but there was no way I could pull off a second console in those days. Very excited to have a good excuse for Edladdin to buy one now.

post-40253-0-84198800-1544153578_thumb.jpeg

post-40253-0-89229600-1544153605_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

Absolutely! I plan to put it in the same exact case as the Super CV - stick on the left and four buttons to the right. It will be called the Super VX.

Im actively searching for the best possible self-centering analog joystick, either a quality potentiometer stick or a Hall-effect stick that does not break the bank. (This is the missing link for the Super 52, as well.) Ive also purchased a couple of the 5k/10k sticks that are widely available from China through eBay and Alibaba. Im skeptical about whether these will hold up with real gameplay, so Ive built a little tester to find out while working on the 5200 I/O board.

I see where people have used them in original-sized Vectrex controllers. What are peoples experience with these? If they work out, Im going to talk to the Chinese and see if I can get them with bare, threaded shafts so I can put ball tops on them the way the good lord intended. That little peg wont cut it for an arcade controller.

Id also like to deliver an on-board paddle function - some version of what you see on this Super 52 mock-up - if there is enthusiasm for the idea.

And I just got my first Vectrex and a Sean Kelly multicart! Ive wanted one since I first saw them in Electronic Games all those years ago, but there was no way I could pull off a second console in those days. Very excited to have a good excuse for Edladdin to buy one now.

I would like a paddle knob on it to play Kaboom and Super Breakout . As I have said before I would like as a "possible" option to have two sticks to be able to play Space Dungeon and Robotron . I guess as the project moves along we will see if it is or isn't even possible .

• Like 1

Yes! Yes! And umm Yes to all of the above! The onboard paddle would be amazing for the Spinner carts being created by Binary Star software. I look forward to seeing this come along. Congrats on getting a Vectrex and Multicart!

• Like 1

I got my Super CV yesterday and it works great. Love it. Been enjoying some Frogger, Frenzy and Q*bert with it yesterday evening. I just have one question to anyone else who recently got one. I watched the ArcadeUSA review on it on youtube and Willie's came with a spare decal. I didn't get one. How about anyone else?

I got my Super CV yesterday and it works great. Love it. Been enjoying some Frogger, Frenzy and Q*bert with it yesterday evening. I just have one question to anyone else who recently got one. I watched the ArcadeUSA review on it on youtube and Willie's came with a spare decal. I didn't get one. How about anyone else?

I'm glad you've been enjoying the Super CV! We have been including with the CoAs an "Edladdin Controllers" sticker and a duplicate of the product labels for the Super 78, Super Twin 78, and the two Supreme 78s, with the idea that people might want to stick those on their Trapper Keepers or whatever.

With the Super CV, the Super Arcade Controller, SAC Plus, and the Super USB, we have only been including the "Edladdin" sticker but not the product labels. Its because they are so much larger. Instead of the simple 2" x 4" ovals that you see with the 7800 line, the CV units all have at least the keypad as part of that artwork (4" x 5") or even full coverage of the whole control panel.

Honestly we just put those in there for fun when we started making the little certificates. It didn't really strike me that anyone would notice one way or another! If anyone that bought a Super CV wants the product/keypad label, send me a PM and I'll drop one in the mail. Insertclevernamehere, I know you want one, but please PM me with whatever postal name you used to place the order.

I'm also happy to send a big sheet label to buyers of the Super Arcade Controller or SAC Plus, but I would have to charge for those. They were 10x the printing cost of the small labels, and will need to be packed properly to prevent being messed up in the mail.

Ed

• 1 year later...

I was looking into getting a second super arcade controller but the checkout on their site didn't work and no one answered my email. That was more than a month ago though, I wanna say 2-3.

I'd like to know the status too but they don't currently have any payment from me 

On 2/8/2020 at 9:48 PM, Swami said:

Hi Ed,

I sent a PM and email with no reply. I ordered a customized Super Arcade Controller Plus a month ago and I was wondering how long you expect before it is shipped. Thank you.

Ouch!  Sorry for the delay responding...  I missed the notification on your PM.

Your control panel has to be built from scratch, so I've been waiting to receive a set of 1/8" phenolic panels from our plastics vendor in Ohio. This is the top cover we talked about earlier.  I checked with them the other day and they said they were going to ship on Feb 6, so we should have them this week.  

In the middle of this timing, I have a huge event for one of the non-Edladdin product lines that will take me out of commission Feb 22-25.  And we are working now to be ready for that.  So realistically, it will be the end of this month before I have this for you.

Sorry for the delays!  I'm slow in general, and heavy custom work goes a lot slower.  ?

13 minutes ago, edladdin said:

Ouch!  Sorry for the delay responding...  I missed the notification on your PM.

Your control panel has to be built from scratch, so I've been waiting to receive a set of 1/8" phenolic panels from our plastics vendor in Ohio. This is the top cover we talked about earlier.  I checked with them the other day and they said they were going to ship on Feb 6, so we should have them this week.  

In the middle of this timing, I have a huge event for one of the non-Edladdin product lines that will take me out of commission Feb 22-25.  And we are working now to be ready for that.  So realistically, it will be the end of this month before I have this for you.

Sorry for the delays!  I'm slow in general, and heavy custom work goes a lot slower.  ?

Okay. Thanks! End of Feb sounds great. Just wondering about ETA.  ?

• Like 1

On 2/9/2020 at 5:38 AM, Hastor said:

I was looking into getting a second super arcade controller but the checkout on their site didn't work and no one answered my email. That was more than a month ago though, I wanna say 2-3.

I'd like to know the status too but they don't currently have any payment from me 

This is the second time someone has said they emailed me without a reply.  Was that sent to ed@edladdin.com?  Or ed@betar.com?   I dont think I'm receiving the @edladdin mail.  GoDaddy generally sucks.  We used to get notifications whenever a sale came through the shopping cart.  Now we have to log into the site and manually check whether any sales have come in.   I dont know whats up with the email.

The Super Arcade Controller PLUS is no longer available and has been marked as "Out of Inventory" on the site, which is why the cart would not let you buy.  We've completed 39 of 40, and the 40th one has been sold to Swami (see above).  The issue is having the custom cases made for those controllers.  We only have 18 more PCBs, which is not enough to have the manufacturer stamp us out another batch.  We used a small shop to make a custom copy of the Hammond cases, and those people went out of business.  We've also used Hammond directly, but their minimum is 100 pieces.

We can build you a "Super Arcade Controller" (without the PLUS), which means you have the arcade controls for the three consoles (Atari 26/78, classic CV, and Flashback CV), but none of the AUX IN connectors along the front.  Likewise, we can also build you a "Seagull CV", which is another item from the Kickstarter.  Its all adapter (including AUX IN) and no controls. We have plenty of those cases left. 

Our plan is to use up the remaining PCBs offering Super Arcade Controllers and/or Seagull CVs, then that will be the end of both of those products. 

We DO have a replacement for the Super Arcade Controller in the pipeline...  The Super Combo Controller will drive Atari 2600/7800 and Classic ColecoVision.  The CV side will have the four Super Action firebuttons and the keypad, but we will lose the "speed buttons" and support for the CV Flashback.  One thing I learned through this whole journey is that relatively few people care about the Flashback CV.   This new replacement controller should be ready this summer.

Super-Arcade-00012-a.jpg

seagull-cv-a.jpg

• Like 1

Nice, I might get the standalone adapter as I already have the Super CV stick in addition to the SAC plus.

A lot of people would kill for an adapter with keypad like that for the Atari 5200 btw! I think someone made plans that use a PS2 controller but no one is selling them and it's a bit beyond my level to do myself. I guess the analog sticks make it a little more complicated than this.

• Like 1