Photo

Benchmarking Languages

159 replies to this topic

#151 JamesD ONLINE  

JamesD

Quadrunner

• 7,578 posts

Posted Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:36 PM

It makes me wonder how big a "Boolean" type is in the P-Code system. Any idea?  

Oops re-read your earlier post completely.  16 bits for a Boolean.

How big can you go before it hits the limit?

Could you try ARRAY of CHAR ?

That's still only 20K.  Seems a bit wasteful for what could be a single bit.
I think the array of char sounds like a reasonable idea, but if the P-Machine doesn't handle arrays across boundaries, it could still be a problem.

It sounds odd that it wouldn't support that though.

#152 apersson850 OFFLINE  

apersson850

Moonsweeper

• 418 posts

Posted Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:39 AM

array [0..999] of char, just like array[0.999] of boolean, still occupies 1000 words, as each character/boolean is stored in one word (16 bits). The system can't allocate a 10000 word array.

Now if you declare a packed array[0.999] of char, then that's 500 words, and a packed array[0..999] of boolean is only 63 words. But then you have to add the overhead for packing and unpacking when accessing the array. So it works, but will take longer time.

I'm not sure which boundaries you are referring to, when asking if the p-system can handle arrays across boundaries? There are no boundaries to cross in this case.

#153 apersson850 OFFLINE  

apersson850

Moonsweeper

• 418 posts

Posted Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:30 PM

I realized I made a mistake in declaring the array of booleans. Corrected that and updated the list.

1000 primes
X BASIC         14.3 secs
TI BASIC        11.9
Pascal           2.786 s

10,000 primes
TF               8.0
CAMEL99 ITC     10.28
CAMEL99 DTC      7.25

When the program is running, function memavail reports 5697 words free. My unit realtime consumes some memory too, especially as it has a segment with assembly support that's not dynamically relocatable.

#154 JamesD ONLINE  

JamesD

Quadrunner

• 7,578 posts

Posted Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:33 PM

array [0..999] of char, just like array[0.999] of boolean, still occupies 1000 words, as each character/boolean is stored in one word (16 bits). The system can't allocate a 10000 word array.

Now if you declare a packed array[0.999] of char, then that's 500 words, and a packed array[0..999] of boolean is only 63 words. But then you have to add the overhead for packing and unpacking when accessing the array. So it works, but will take longer time.

I'm not sure which boundaries you are referring to, when asking if the p-system can handle arrays across boundaries? There are no boundaries to cross in this case.

Isn't the memory expansion paged?

#155 apersson850 OFFLINE  

apersson850

Moonsweeper

• 418 posts

Posted Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:10 PM

Well, it's split in one 8 K and one 24 K section. But they are all on the same page, at least as I define a page in this context. That is, in the same address space, which for the TMS 9900 comprises 64 Kbytes.

#156 JamesD ONLINE  

JamesD

Quadrunner

• 7,578 posts

Posted Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:52 PM

Well, it's split in one 8 K and one 24 K section. But they are all on the same page, at least as I define a page in this context. That is, in the same address space, which for the TMS 9900 comprises 64 Kbytes.

Page as in turning a page, changing a page, having to change with RAM appears at an address to use it page

#157 apersson850 OFFLINE  

apersson850

Moonsweeper

• 418 posts

Posted Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:00 PM

Well, that's the same definition, then. And in that case it's not paged. It's the same memory expansion as we always have had.

Edited by apersson850, Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:30 AM.

#158 TheBF OFFLINE  

TheBF

Moonsweeper

• 308 posts

Posted Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:36 PM

I always like the way Wirth's languages have these different data types. Forth makes you work hard for that nice stuff.  

So in my Pascal Envy fever I thought I would see what it would take to make a "packed array of bits" and it is more code than I thought.

The overhead just to set 1 bit, according to the CLASSIC99 9901 timer is 1.8 milli-seconds in my Forth system.

EDIT: New times   1.5mS to set a bit.

1.1mS to read a bit (BIT@)

This could be really sped up with assembly language code words but it's still a lot of work to strip out bits.

EDIT: Here is the revised code with fixed RSHIFT and uses CELL+ and CELLS to be less platform dependant.

\ BOOLEAN array experiment

\ BOOLEAN data is one CELL (16 bits on TMS9900)

HEX
\ create & erase memory area for 'n' bits
: BITS:  ( n -- ) CREATE    8 /  HERE OVER 0 FILL  CELL+  ALLOT  ;  \ added 2 bytes extra

\ compute bit# in a cell & cell address
: BITFLD     ( bit# addr[] -- bit#' addr)
               SWAP 10 /MOD CELLS ROT +  ;

: BIT@      ( bit# addr -- ? )
              BITFLD @               \ compute bit# & fetch bits in cell
              SWAP RSHIFT            \ if bit#<>0 RSHIFT,
              0001 AND ;             \ mask 1 bit

: BIT#>MASK ( bit# -- n )  0001 SWAP LSHIFT ;

: BSET      ( bit# addr[] -- )
              BITFLD                   ( -- bit# addr)
              SWAP BIT#>MASK >R        \ save the mask
              DUP @                    \ -- addr bits
              R> OR SWAP ! ;           \ or mask into bit, store in addr

: BRST      ( bit# addr[] -- )
              BITFLD                   ( -- bit# addr)
              SWAP BIT#>MASK INVERT >R  \ invert and save mask
              DUP @                     \ -- addr bits
              R> AND SWAP ! ;           \ mask out bits, store back in addr

\ test code
 DECIMAL
  300 BITS: ]X      \ make array X of 1000 bits

: FILLBITS   300 0 DO  I ]X BSET   LOOP ;
: CLRBITS    300 0 DO  I ]X BRST   LOOP ;
: EVENBITS   ." Erasing..."  CLRBITS 300 0 DO  I ]X BSET   2 +LOOP ;
: SHOWBITS   300 0 DO  I ]X BIT@ . LOOP ;

Edited by TheBF, Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:52 PM.

#159 apersson850 OFFLINE  

apersson850

Moonsweeper

• 418 posts

Posted Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:40 PM

I've not checked how the PME routines for packing and unpacking works. But obviously they take more time than not having to run them.

#160 TheBF OFFLINE  

TheBF

Moonsweeper

• 308 posts

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:16 PM

So I ran some of the *HAYES tester on my Forth system and guess what?

I coded my bit shifting words in a way that made them FAIL.  No shock because I didn't read the spec. (DUH)

In the WORD BIT@ in my earlier post, I added an IF statement to cope with a 0 bit shift.  Well the ANS/ISO Forth standard already anticipated that.

So I recoded my shift words (LSHIFT & RSHIFT) to pass the test and now BIT@ is much faster and much simpler.

I have edited the previous POST to reflect the correction.

: BIT@      ( bit# addr -- ? )
              BITFLD @               \ compute bit# & fetch bits in cell
              SWAP RSHIFT            \ if bit#<>0 RSHIFT,
              0001 AND ;             \ mask 1 bit

* The Hayes tester is set of test words and test suites for every standard Forth word that let's you confirm that a Forth WORD is doing what it's supposed to do.

It looks like this for a simple word like SWAP:  

T{ 1 2 3 SWAP -> 1 3 2 }T

​You get OK if the output swap matches the '1 3 2' after the arrow and an error message if not.

To read more: http://forth-standar...ndard/testsuite

Edited by TheBF, Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:36 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users