IGNORED

Will there be a second event around the Chicago Faire?

kl99

Hi Guys!

I have heard on the Floppydays Podcast that there are some ideas/plans to do a second TI event in Chicago which will be timed around the TI Faire?

Who knows more on this?

I plan to book my flight tickets soon, and therefore need to know which day I should be already in Chicago or still in Chicago for this event?

(anyone wishing to book european tickets to chicago, the prices are currently quite low)

Klaus

There are no formal plans at this time to extend the Faire officially. However, many of us feel that it would be great to have a separate gathering before or after the Faire for show and tell without formal presentations or a set schedule. The problem is finding a gathering place that is affordable. Since many of us tend to stay at the Best Western during the Faire, perhaps we can reserve a conference room there for either Friday or Sunday and the cost shared among all attendees.

But first we will need an approximate head count with interest in this. I'm a go, so that's 1 :) I think we need a few more :D

Hi!

I wanted to check prices on the Best Western University Plaza in Evanston, however the hotel is no longer part of the Best Western chain.

They did renovations (or are still doing) and prices increased a lot there. 369 Euro a night seems to be the new price for one double room, and that is hardly affordable for anyone. Price is excluding 13.5% taxes.

There is the Hilton Orrington which has a nightly price of 175 Euro and seems like the better deal. I guess I could upgrade to a Studio there for not much money to have a get2gether at my room. My fiancee might join me this time.

Klaus

I can't see any... $309 for the cheapest room per night at the Orrington... Wow... You'd think one is staying at the Ritz.

EDIT: OK room prices just went up to $518. What the hell is going on???

Frankly, I'm not willing to spend close to $1200 for 2 nights, and I doubt many Faire attendees will either... Perhaps Hal should consider changing the date...

RE-EDIT: Priceline.com seems to have the better deals. I found a room at the Orrington for $259. Still expensive but I booked it anyway since there was no deposit required and free cancellation up to October 12th... Maybe prices will go lower as we get closer...

Here is what Hal said to me via email 3 days ago:

Me: Klaus said the Faire is to be October 15 this year. Is that set in stone?
Hal: Yes, that is the date we were able to reserve at the library, Lee. Every year we have to work around the Northwestern football schedule, the local art fairs, etc. Last year we had to have it on Halloween, even though the last time I tried that a lot of people said they couldn't come because they were afraid of what might happen if they weren't home. In Detroit, for example, they call it "witches night," and many houses get torched. It may provide us with a little better weather as a side benefit. The downside is that it may still be high season for airline fares. In years past, there were suggestions that we hold it in August, but Fall has been the traditional date.
...lee

Plane tickets for me are around $500, which is about normal. Though, last year I got a stupid deal during a spring sale which put me in a little under $300. $179 a night is a little too much for my tastes for a hotel, so I will make other arrangements, I think.

ok i reserved a room at the holiday inn as well.. gonna make it this year

I hope you guys take your video cameras or cameras capable of taking video. With enough footage good footage and even stills spliced together maybe we could come up with a decent You Tube video that will attract other long-lost TI-er's.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Exactly where and when will the Chicago area TI-FAIRE be this year? The links I found online are to past years. The YahooGroup said same as last year, but I am not familiar with the faire at all. I am planning on attending this year. I haven't been to a TI show in about 20 years, so it should be interesting. Specifically, I am interested in the Saturday schedule and how much a table/booth will cost (and how I would pay for it). I am cleaning house and I will try to bring as much hardware and documentation as I can to this event. All of the equipment has been in storage for many years, so powering it on the show will be interesting. Thanks for any info. Maybe I was just looking in the wrong places for the information.

• Like 1

Exactly where and when will the Chicago area TI-FAIRE be this year? The links I found online are to past years. The YahooGroup said same as last year, but I am not familiar with the faire at all. I am planning on attending this year. I haven't been to a TI show in about 20 years, so it should be interesting. Specifically, I am interested in the Saturday schedule and how much a table/booth will cost (and how I would pay for it). I am cleaning house and I will try to bring as much hardware and documentation as I can to this event. All of the equipment has been in storage for many years, so powering it on the show will be interesting. Thanks for any info. Maybe I was just looking in the wrong places for the information.

October 15, 9am to 5pm. I don't believe there is a charge for setting up a table any more, just a voluntary $20 donation to the club. The location is the Evanston public library in Evanston, IL, a quaint college town right outside of Chicago. There is an awards presentation afterwards at the local Panera followed by a chaotic romp through the Evanston many bars. We also usually have an informal dinner the day before around 6pm at Nevin's pub right across from the Best Western there.

October 15, 9am to 5pm. I don't believe there is a charge for setting up a table any more, just a voluntary $20 donation to the club. The location is the Evanston public library in Evanston, IL, a quaint college town right outside of Chicago. There is an awards presentation afterwards at the local Panera followed by a chaotic romp through the Evanston many bars. We also usually have an informal dinner the day before around 6pm at Nevin's pub right across from the Best Western there.

The Best Western is now a Holiday Inn, Walid.

...lee