IGNORED

Starpath supercharger games on vinyl.

goriddle

Just for the hell of it, I recently had a local record shop cut a copy of Dragonstomper on 10" vinyl from the original cassette. It was cut on a record lathe at 33 rpm. It worked like I expected. I was able to play the game just fine. I realize there is no viable reason for this, but it's pretty damn neat. Has anyone heard of this being done before? Have any other types of games been played from record album?

• Like 15

In the UK back in the '80's some bands put Sinclair Zx Spectrum games on vinyl records....

from wikipedia:

Spectrum software in popular music

A few pop musicians included Sinclair programs on their records. The Buzzcocks front man, Pete Shelly, put a Spectrum program including lyrics and other information as the last track on his XL-1 album. The punk band Inner City Unit put a Spectrum database of band information on their 1984 release, 'New Anatomy'. Also in 1984, the Thompson Twins released a game on vinyl.[16]The Freshies had a brief flirtation with fame and Spectrum games, and the Aphex Twin included various loading noises on his Richard D. James album in 1996—most notably part of the loading screen from Sabre Wulf on Carn Marth. Shakin' Stevens included his Shaky Game at the end of his The Bop Won't Stop album. The aim of the game was to guide your character around a maze, while avoiding bats. Upon completion your score would be given in terms of a rank of disc, e.g. "gold" or "platinum". The game had a minor connection with one of his tracks, It's Late. Scottish band Urusei Yatsura included a Spectrum program that showed a satanic message in the beginning of the song Thank You (from the album Everybody Loves Urusei Yatsura).

There was also a music program for the Spectrum 48K which allowed to play two notes at a time, by rapidly switching between the waveforms of the two separate notes, a big improvement over the mono Spectrum sound. The program was branded after the popular '80s pop band Wham!, and some of the biggest hits of this group could be played with the Spectrum. The program was called Wham! The Music Box and released by Melbourne House, one of the most prolific publishing houses at the time.

• Like 2

Maybe if there had been record functionality on home record players they would have been a more popular strage medium; CD-ROM seemed the same way to me initially.

The advantage of the CD-ROM was that it could store almost 500 floppy disks. There really wasn't any advantage of the record over the tape other than it could be easily tucked into magazines and was pretty cheap to make.

Instead of CD-ROM, you have floppy ROM. In floppy ROM's case, the software usually came on those 45rpm disks found in magazines and flexible enough to survive a folding.

How many times could you "play" a game off a vinyl record before the wear and tear on the grooves from the needle would lead to errors?

• Like 1

It could be played indefinitely if you have a proper stylus and clean the record well. I have a machine that vacuum cleans the records, and there are great cleaning agents to keep your records "like new". Really, it would boil down to the equipment and the amount of care given. You'd need an anti static inner sleeve, the record would need to be pressed on good vinyl, etc...

• Like 2

Thanks for all the feedback! I intend on uploading a YouTube video of the process of making the record and showing it in action. The Dragonstomper record is a fun gimmick as a conversation piece, but pretty much pointless since I have the harmony cart. It's cool to know about all of the 80s musicians that used program audio on their albums. I will post more bonkers ideas as I see them to fruition.

• Like 3

Well we did have Stella gets a new brain, Starpath on CD, in the 90s

well that is modern a record is quite amazing because it is a device that can work without electricity it would be like doing an edison cylinder

an 8 track would be neat so i could play it in an 2-xl the ultimate would be to rig up some kind of acoustic coupler and call up my voice mail and have it play the audio of the game from off site

Just for the hell of it, I recently had a local record shop cut a copy of Dragonstomper on 10" vinyl from the original cassette. It was cut on a record lathe at 33 rpm. It worked like I expected. I was able to play the game just fine. I realize there is no viable reason for this, but it's pretty damn neat. Has anyone heard of this being done before? Have any other types of games been played from record album?

did you have a label made for the center of it? If so, pics please.