• Takeover
    • Copter Command
    • Brickout
    • Flapee Bird
    • Number Jumble
    • Game Factory
    • Abstaining vote

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

See this thread... http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247568-game-of-the-year-2015/

As of right now, 2 games are neck and neck for 1st place, 2 are in the running for 3rd, and a bunch of others are struggling for 5th. Here's your chance to break the virtual ties.

Pick your favorite in each category. Pick based on whatever basis you want.

Vote early. Vote often. Have fun. Hopefully I spelled everything right.

• Like 1

So I'm assuming if someone abstained that they didn't like any of the games in that category?

Whatever reason is fine. People can abstain from all three choices, if they want. ;)

There could be a number of reasons: Maybe they haven't played any of the games in that category. Maybe they think both are just as good. Maybe they don't like either of them.

Whatever reason is fine. People can abstain from all three choices, if they want. ;)

There could be a number of reasons: Maybe they haven't played any of the games in that category. Maybe they think both are just as good. Maybe they don't like either of them.

Or you could abstain due to not agreeing with the options. e.g.- as I did not vote for either of the 2 first place candidates in the GOTY poll there is no point voting for either of then now.

Same for the second list where one if those options I did vote for so I would not now vote for it again in a lower position.

Best option is not voting at all as it is quite skewed with biased options only. (as we are being basically told how to vote)

Edited by Utopia
  • Like 1

Or you could abstain due to not agreeing with the options. e.g.- as I did not vote for either of the 2 first place candidates in the GOTY poll there is no point voting for either of then now.

Same for the second list where one if those options I did vote for so I would not now vote for it again in a lower position.

Best option is not voting at all as it is quite skewed with biased options only. (as we are being basically told how to vote)

You can vote how you like.

The options are biased based on the official GotY positions at the time of making this poll. Ms. Pac and Piggy had a runaway lead at about 30 votes each, Boulder and Princess were halfway back at about 16 votes, and the others were at about 0-3 votes each. This just gives you the option, if you'd like, to pick one of Ms. Pac and Piggy, for instance, if you didn't vote for either of them in the official GotY poll.

So I'm assuming if someone abstained that they didn't like any of the games in that category?

No C-mart I abstained in this vote to back out completely, not to be biased or whatever happens with it. I love a lot of those games.

I wasn't happy with how the first round went for various reasons, and my abstaining means I am off to play my Intellivision!

Have fun guys and play some games! :) :thumbsup:

• Like 2

There are a lot less votes too. My guess is that most people voted on the other and didn't care for a runoff.

Yeah, I don't think you can count these results as being "significant", except probably that Copter Command is favored in the category I put it in. The fact that Princess Quest has a sizable lead over Boulder Dash might be significant, but I can't be sure.

Edited by 5-11under

Yeah, I don't think you can count these results as being "significant", except probably that Copter Command is favored in the category I put it in. The fact that Princess Quest has a sizable lead over Boulder Dash might be significant, but I can't be sure.

No disrespect intended, but why would you say these things about your own poll? I mean, why hold it, otherwise?

It shouldn't have been started until after the first one concluded. And of course putting choices into categories will steer the voting. Having "Abstain" be one of the choices has to be one of the strangest things ever.

Some people put their hearts into these game projects, so the poll results, however flawed, do matter to those with the most involvement. No popularity contest comes without that baggage.

If the forum software doesn't allow for ranking games the way most people would like to see, then something else could be set up next year. Otherwise, a simple vote like the other thread offered should suffice. With so many interesting and diverse games in the pipeline, the 2016 voting needs to be more carefully planned, IMO.

No disrespect intended, but why would you say these things about your own poll? I mean, why hold it, otherwise?

It shouldn't have been started until after the first one concluded. And of course putting choices into categories will steer the voting. Having "Abstain" be one of the choices has to be one of the strangest things ever.

Some people put their hearts into these game projects, so the poll results, however flawed, do matter to those with the most involvement. No popularity contest comes without that baggage.

If the forum software doesn't allow for ranking games the way most people would like to see, then something else could be set up next year. Otherwise, a simple vote like the other thread offered should suffice. With so many interesting and diverse games in the pipeline, the 2016 voting needs to be more carefully planned, IMO.

Regarding "significance", I was speaking of scientific analysis of results. For instance, when running an experiment with a limited amount of sample points, if two results are similar, you have to decide, usually using math, whether there is a "significant" difference between the results that you can draw some conclusions from. For instance, in the political realm, poll results will say something like "accurate to within 3%, 19 times out of 20", depending on the number of samples, etc.

It's totally unofficial. The choices in categories were only put that way to give people a chance to choose between games that had similar vote count in the official poll. For instance, in the official poll, Princess Quest and Boulder Dash had virtually the same amount of votes. I was curious as to which of these two games people preferred (because maybe they voted for different games in the official poll. That curiosity made me make the poll.

The "Abstain" option was available because perhaps some people had never played either of the games within that category, or perhaps they couldn't decide. The option is there so that people could vote in only 1 or 2 categories (or 0) if they wanted to.

"Some people put their hearts into these game projects..." - I agree completely! Personally, I played all the games (although some only shortly), and I like all the ones that are in the types of games that I prefer.

weird... the results here are very different.

A trained statistical analysis person offers up a possible reason for this and why so many more people voted in the other poll compared to previous years:

A substantial number of people registered after the poll started, and did nothing except vote, without reading any of the thread (and consequently missing the link to this thread.)