Issues getting some 2600 homebrews to run on Raspberry Pi

retropie raspberry pi retro pi

4 replies to this topic

#1 TPR OFFLINE  

TPR

River Patroller

• 2,199 posts

Posted Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:22 PM

Just curious if anyone else has run into problems getting Atari 2600 roms to load using a RetroPie.  For the most part, the majority of them will load, but ROMS like the two Donkey Kong homebrews, Pac-Man 8k, and a few others.

They just send me right back to the Emulation Station screen when I try to load them.  Any ideas?

#2 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 3,695 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Mon Feb 8, 2016 6:20 PM

I think I replied in your other thread, but I'm almost certain it relates to the fact that RetroPie uses a much older version of Stella (3.3, if I remember correctly). The most recent version main version is 4.7, less than 3 weeks ago. 

#3 mckafka99 OFFLINE  

mckafka99

Stargunner

• 1,113 posts

Posted Mon Feb 8, 2016 7:41 PM

Both versions of PacMan8K that I have (the one that looks like a modded version of the original 2600 Pac Man board and the one that looks and sounds like the arcade version) run on my version of RetroPie using the lr-stella emulator. I think I have RetroPie 3.2 or 3.3 (I cant recall which it is).

#4 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 3,695 posts

Posted Tue Feb 9, 2016 6:59 PM

Okay, after reading mckafka99's post above, I loaded up a bunch of hacks and home-brews into my RetroPie 2600 directory and gave 'em a try. All of them - even Space Rocks, which uses the DPC+ kernel, run great. Both of the Donkey Kong versions, Pac-Man 8K, Princess Rescue, Space Rocks, Medieval Mayhem ... they all run fine.

For what it's worth, my RetroPie installation is based on a fresh RetroPie SD image which I downloaded Saturday, then updated Saturday night (now that RetroPie 3.5 is out). 

#5 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 3,695 posts

Posted Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:22 PM

I think I replied in your other thread, but I'm almost certain it relates to the fact that RetroPie uses a much older version of Stella (3.3, if I remember correctly). The most recent version main version is 4.7, less than 3 weeks ago. 

Actually I checked this morning and have to correct myself - the version of Stella used in RetroPie is now up to 4.1.1. Not quite cutting edge but certainly much newer than I indicated earlier. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: retropie, raspberry pi, retro pi

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users