IGNORED

Fall Down reviewed by Classic Game Room

NIKON

The first 2600 game my girlfriend played, it's her favourite game now, she calls the extra point pixels "crystals" :D Perfect imagination for 2600 games.

My atarivox didn't say anything on this game on one player, so I thought maybe you need two player for speach, Is that possible? Like a genesis extension cord to a genesis multitap?

Or maybe soldering the atarivox into the 2600 internally.. With built in speakers in the speaker holes, that would be cool.

• Like 2

I just watched that yesterday. It looks hella fun and I'm gonna have to pick it up. I recently dug out my 2600 to show my son and he loves it and wants to play more with me. Fall Down looks perfect to play with him. As a side note haha I just got a 5200 and It's sheer size flabberghasted my son hahah :D

This was one of my first homebrew purchases way back when it was initially released.

It is an awesome game but I do have one sticking point with it: wish I could disable jump.

I don't find it helps gameplay and winds up costing me lives when I push up by accident every now and then when actions becomes frantic.

Still, I give it a 9 out of 10 IMHO. Game rocks... 'nuff said \m/\m/

Knew nothing about this game until I happened upon that video. I've downloaded it onto my Harmony cart and it is quite superb. It feels like a modern mobile phone game in many ways but it's perfectly at home on the 2600. I've played the NTSC ROM on my PAL woody and despite the different colours its perfectly playable and I'd rather have different colours for the extra burst of speed. Hint (a PAL60 version would be very nice!)

Edited by davyK

Speech will not work for 2-players, as the Vox must be in joystick port #2.

Fall Down was one of the first homebrew games to support Richard Hutchinson's AtariVox. Fall Down uses the AtariVox to save your high score for each game mode, as well as for some in-game speech ("Red Wins! New High Score!"). When you power off your Atari 2600 and come back later to play Fall Down, your high scores will be restored!

Also, do you have a powered speaker plugged in the AtariVox, is it on, is the volume up? It will speak as soon as the Atari is powered on.

Speech will not work for 2-players, as the Vox must be in joystick port #2.

Fall Down was one of the first homebrew games to support Richard Hutchinson's AtariVox. Fall Down uses the AtariVox to save your high score for each game mode, as well as for some in-game speech ("Red Wins! New High Score!"). When you power off your Atari 2600 and come back later to play Fall Down, your high scores will be restored!

I bought this one a long time ago - my review in the store is from 2007. Great example of a very simple, very fun, pick-up-and-play Atari game.

"08/18/2007 12:18am stars-4-0.gif

They joy of the 2600 is in its simplicity, and one of the games to capture that idea perfectly is Fall Down. This is video gaming at its purest, simplest and most fun form. No complex controls. No detailed environments. No lengthy back story. Two players - one red, one blue - running frantically across scrolling platforms, with whoever falls through a hole first claiming it. Yes, there are power-ups, but getting them is more a secondary objective to the first - capturing the level, scoring the point and avoiding death at the top of the screen. It's easy to play and lots of fun, which may be a surprise given just how simple an idea it is. Success will often depend on getting the right momentum, or just dumb luck, in choosing which way to run for the opening. You can be ahead, or be behind, and then have the tide turn. The game has several variations for one and two players, and for single players the VCS is a worthy and fair opponent. A fun game enhanced by its label and manual that is worth a purchase."

Knew nothing about this game until I happened upon that video. I've downloaded it onto my Harmony cart and it is quite superb. It feels like a modern mobile phone game in many ways but it's perfectly at home on the 2600. I've played the NTSC ROM on my PAL woody and despite the different colours its perfectly playable and I'd rather have different colours for the extra burst of speed. Hint (a PAL60 version would be very nice!)

Hard to fathom how people can't know of these games. Take a look through the store. You may be surprised what you find. Lots of good stuff.

Makes me wish I had someone to play Atari with! I'll have to give this one a try on Stella, it looks fun even as a single-player game.

Yep, you can even get an AtariVox and hook it up to your computer, and Stella will recognize it and play sounds :)