IGNORED

Best's New (for 2016) CX24 Gold Upgraded Stick Review

gilsaluki

Got a refurbished CX24 (Yes the coffin shaped original JS for the 7800) from Best Electronics. It has been upgraded with a lifetime gold contract circuit board and trigger contacts. Similar to Best's upgraded CX40 joysticks. I was so impressed with his CX40s with gold contacts, I couldn't resist his latest adaptation. So, the Good. Better feedback (by far) than an un-upgraded CX24. Definite clicks can be heard and felt by moving the control stick and pushing the fire buttons. Great! No-so-good, too much travel and wobbliness with the joystick's handle for my liking. Playing PacMan games is still more fun with other sticks. Still it is a step forward and welcomed option for gamers. Much better than the original. He has completely upgraded sticks, nothing to do, and he has kits (like that for the CX40). I would recommend them.

• Like 2

Here's the URL:

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/joystick.htm

I think it was a mistake of them to list the Atari Space Age Joystick there without an upgrade kit available for it too.

Anyone know if you can add micro switches to the gold kits? I'm surprised they aren't shortening the stick and changing the knob like how Yurkie used to do his mods...

Edit: I just read a lot of the updated info on their website. Now I have a damn headache from it. Ugh.

Edited by Lynxpro
  • Like 1

I gave the "new" stick a real workout last night. You, know, it was nice. I set a new record for Galaxian. My hand did not cramp. Is it the best JS now that it's been upgraded? No, but it ain't the too bad. The click feedback is excellent, tactile. He's has 30 or more fully modified sticks in stock. Sounds like they'll be in stock for a long time based on the reaction here.

• Like 1

I have two 7800 proline controllers that actually are very responsive... and I own at least three more which are kinda 80%... i really dislike the 80% ones but don't mind the 100% ones. In the end I still have 2600 sticks which feel a bit better and offer 100% responsiveness.

• Like 1

Edit: I just read a lot of the updated info on their website. Now I have a damn headache from it. Ugh.

I bet places like this (there are a shocking number of vintage gaming/computing stores that look like this) would sell 10x the product if they had a decent Website. I tend to give up after a while when I have to deal with Web designs that would have been a struggle in the mid-90s. It's a shame too, because I'm sure I'd buy a ton of stuff.

• Like 3

I bet places like this (there are a shocking number of vintage gaming/computing stores that look like this) would sell 10x the product if they had a decent Website. I tend to give up after a while when I have to deal with Web designs that would have been a struggle in the mid-90s. It's a shame too, because I'm sure I'd buy a ton of stuff.

Agreed, and ouch. Looking at Best's website gives me a headache.

• Like 1

I use Google to search for anything of interest on Best's website. It's annoying that the design quality is circa 1995 and that they think they can charge money for a physical catalog in 2016. Sure, that made sense back in 1991, but not now.

• 3 weeks later...

The new "Best Gold" upgrade definitely improves reliability and responsiveness. From the scientific data, that I've painstakingly gathered, I calculate a 40% improvement over a stock CX-24?.

Ms.Pacman will still give you some trouble, especially when the action heats up.

Edited by AtariKid81
  • Like 1

The new "Best Gold" upgrade definitely improves reliability and responsiveness. From the scientific data, that I've painstakingly gathered, I calculate a 40% improvement over a stock CX-24.

Ms.Pacman will still give you some trouble, especially when the action heats up.

Good to know, but I want to know if microswitches can still be installed. Adding microswitches to regular CX40s and CX24s are an interesting mod unto themselves.

Good to know, but I want to know if microswitches can still be installed. Adding microswitches to regular CX40s and CX24s are an interesting mod unto themselves.

No doubt you can add microswitches - I've seen it done on YouTube. Honestly though, I don't figure you can get better results by using microswitches - the new dome contacts, used with the Best Gold CX24 upgrade, are really that good. If I hadn't read the Best website and learned what improvements were made, I would have immediately suspected microswitches. I am so happy with this joystick, that I am going to pick up a second one.

Hmm...that good huh?

I am very happy with what Best has accomplished. I can't say that everyone will agree with me.

Something else I would like to note; the joystick I received looks brand-spanking new - not a scuff anywhere. In addition, the protective plastic wrap is present on the metal plate.

Best wishes!