Mr SQL

post-30777-0-83825200-1455843811.jpg

^^Mr SQL, are the bloom effects like the blue halo around the ship appear on the screen like that or due to smeared or cheap camera lens?

Not at all; the plasma artifacting is different from the vertical multicolored sprite but they are captured from the same clip, so nothing can be smeared on the lens - it's a cool effect:

Here's the source footage so you can see, youtube degraded it slightly:

starblitz artifacting 2.mp4

For comparison I used the same camera I used to film StarBlitz working in Stella on windows 7 and breaking apart on Windows 10 without the engines engaged. And it looks to be the same camera used to film StarBlitz running with a composite mod.

There are spots where the differnt artifacting techniques manifest and even other artifacts and mixed techniques (possible to get the multicolored vertical sprite with moderate plasma).

I haven't seen plasma artifacting before; a lot of great insight on the science thread, it all ties back to Joe's video on the spectrum. I have some ideas on this effect from that discussion, I'm going to see if programmers who leveraged artifacting techniques like me back in the day and are familiar with the existing techniques can shed more light on this phenomena.

They may even be able to create an intentional enahanced artifacting composite mod for Atari's like the Jr that don't artifact nearly as well as the Vader (my Jr can't render the plasma effects very well).

Mr SQL I cannot find the 5C download on your site?

It's in the zip; program.bin :)

I need to tweak it a bit and revise the screen flash when meteors are hit before I post it up top.

Anyone who wants to can modify StarBlitz BASIC source (program.txt, fully commented) and have fun with these experimental effects, maybe find more.

I hope StarBlitz inspires other programmers to utilize some of these techniques in their games or come up with other cool ideas

Cranking the color knob on your 20-year-old TV all the way up so you get chroma bleed everywhere (which is, for the millionth time, NOT ARTIFACTING), can hardly be considered a "technique".

Why do you hate English?

• Like 1

Cranking the color knob on your 20-year-old TV all the way up so you get chroma bleed everywhere (which is, for the millionth time, NOT ARTIFACTING), can hardly be considered a "technique".

Why do you hate English?

Well it's about time ;)

I didn't touch the settings they are right in the middle, the chroma bleed is present in the Vader's RF, you're seeing the same techniques I used in my 80's video games to potentiate existing chroma bleed, I don't know why you don't call it artifacting :)

^^Some of us actually take time to calibrate the color on our CRT sets. 5 minutes can mean the difference between mediocre display quality and arcade like eye-popping visuals, even with RF or composite. Also yay for setting the black level just right so you can see all those gorgeous phopher trails! :lust:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've added a new 60 HZ version of StarBlitz at the top of the thread :)

If enough people like it, I was thinking of hooking up the BW switch to toggle the display between 30 HZ and 60 HZ for gamers who prefer or wish to experiment with 30 HZ effects. The title screen would either stay at 30 HZ or switch to DVD format to accomodate 60 HZ and 30 FPS.

• Like 1

I've added a new 60 HZ version of StarBlitz at the top of the thread :)

If enough people like it, I was thinking of hooking up the BW switch to toggle the display between 30 HZ and 60 HZ for gamers who prefer or wish to experiment with 30 HZ effects. The title screen would either stay at 30 HZ or switch to DVD format to accomodate 60 HZ and 30 FPS.

DVD format? FTR, anything you can do to get rid of that spastic flicker rate would be great. I apologize if your game has caused controversy within the community, but if a game becomes unplayable because it gives people migraines while playing it, that is an issue. Glad to see you taking effort to fix that.

• Like 1

DVD format? FTR, anything you can do to get rid of that spastic flicker rate would be great. I apologize if your game has caused controversy within the community, but if a game becomes unplayable because it gives people migraines while playing it, that is an issue. Glad to see you taking effort to fix that.

DVD format is widescreen.

Try both versions on your Harmony in a gameroom lit only by the CRT.

My test group likes both but in the 30 HZ the animation looks smoother even though it's not - better flicker fusion even though the HZ is lower.

DVD format is widescreen.

Try both versions on your Harmony in a gameroom lit only by the CRT.

My test group likes both but in the 30 HZ the animation looks smoother even though it's not - better flicker fusion even though the HZ is lower.

Oh I get it. You letterboxed your game to increase the overscan area so you can add additional processing cycles. That's actually not a bad idea. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Oh I get it. You letterboxed your game to increase the overscan area so you can add additional processing cycles. That's actually not a bad idea. :thumbsup:

Thanks :) The letterbox area can be moved up or down but cannot expand to fill the screen.

That was the idea but I didn't have to increase the overscan area so sprite movement is not restricted, I'm still timesharing with the overscan just for less time.

Game logic runs every alternate frame as before, but the soft blitter chip only has the top and bottom blank to use for blitter operations instead of getting a whole frame and the kernel just redraws a static image from the second buffer.

When I look at the 60 HZ on CRT I'm seeing a smooth scrolling doulbe vision effect where I can see the distinct Atari pixels and should not be able too; what I see is a distinct Atari pixel with two softer pixels on either side forming the buildings that are supposed to be one tile pixel wide.

With 30 HZ StarBlitz I see only large tile pixels scrolling smoothly.

Curious what you see and what the programmer who experienced 30 HZ migranes see at 60 HZ?

DISCLAIMER: 30 HZ StarBlitz is designed to produce pleasant effects at 30 HZ on NTSC over CRT that can be experienced in a darkened room and amplified by listening to music. StarBlitz effects on PAL are currently unknown, there is no official PAL release, and the NTSC release is NOT approved for play on PAL 262 - In the 1990's, Japenese experiments to encapsulate a pure 30 HZ signal with the alternating field masked within the carrier produced imobilizing effects over NTSC (Pokeman, Porygon soldier episosde). The Atari can remove the 60 HZ field effect to produce a mesmerizing pure 30 HZ game.

No, it isn't. DVD is a 4:3 format. What you mean is that you've letterboxed it.

Good point about DVD. It is 720x480, 4x3 or 16x9 aspect ratio, either 30Hz interlaced or 24Hz 2:3 telecine.

VCS is 160x192 (typical), 60Hz progressive.

DVD-ROM holds 4.7-8.7 Gb and comes on disc.

VCS holds 2-32kb (typical) and comes on cart.

You play DVD with a remote.

You play VCS with joystick.

And pobably some other slight cosmetic differences I may have missed... :P

• Like 1

I played quite a bit. The game play, and presentation does need work, which is, for me, the more important aspect of making a game.

Presentation:

I would make use of the HMOVE registers and put the score or information on the top or bottom of the screen. Can be 2 digits, or 6 digits if you want to use the 48 pixel sprite score kernel.

Falling numbers as score isn't a really a good idea. Collecting number for me is getting a new shot power up or more score.

I can't tell how many hits I can take. Maybe a shield meter sprites below the score.

I can't tell if I have a game over. It's an Atari game, make a colorful big boom when my ship take the last hit, and then pan out and see the entire planet explode into pixelated mess. You want to tell player that you lost the game in an epic way and not just go directly to the title screen thinking, did I lost or did I beat this level.

Level number that can borrow the score display when that level is complete.

Attract screen is ok with the title screen. The score on top can display the high score and the previous score from the last round.

Gameplay:

Hard to destroy objects. They are either too close to me or too far away. Very hard to defend the city from meteor if your torpedo is slow. Maybe speed the torpedo up or slow meteor down.

HMOVE can have more than 1 meteor on screen.

A radar system that can tell you where the meteor is above you and you can get to that location and get ready to blast that thing out of the sky.

Maybe torpedo power up, or laser power up you can pick up.

Object explosion sprites. I LOVE when object explode into pixel in an Atari game.

Scrolling is good with 30hz, but I see some tearing in that mode. 60hz, is ok with phopher mode on.

The game does has potential.

• Like 1

I played quite a bit. The game play, and presentation does need work, which is, for me, the more important aspect of making a game.

Presentation:

I would make use of the HMOVE registers and put the score or information on the top or bottom of the screen. Can be 2 digits, or 6 digits if you want to use the 48 pixel sprite score kernel.

Falling numbers as score isn't a really a good idea. Collecting number for me is getting a new shot power up or more score.

I can't tell how many hits I can take. Maybe a shield meter sprites below the score.

I can't tell if I have a game over. It's an Atari game, make a colorful big boom when my ship take the last hit, and then pan out and see the entire planet explode into pixelated mess. You want to tell player that you lost the game in an epic way and not just go directly to the title screen thinking, did I lost or did I beat this level.

Level number that can borrow the score display when that level is complete.

Attract screen is ok with the title screen. The score on top can display the high score and the previous score from the last round.

Gameplay:

Hard to destroy objects. They are either too close to me or too far away. Very hard to defend the city from meteor if your torpedo is slow. Maybe speed the torpedo up or slow meteor down.

HMOVE can have more than 1 meteor on screen.

A radar system that can tell you where the meteor is above you and you can get to that location and get ready to blast that thing out of the sky.

Maybe torpedo power up, or laser power up you can pick up.

Object explosion sprites. I LOVE when object explode into pixel in an Atari game.

Scrolling is good with 30hz, but I see some tearing in that mode. 60hz, is ok with phopher mode on.

The game does has potential.

Thanks Kiwi, awesome feedback! :)

Gameplay:

Agree it is hard to destroy the objects, I am adding easy settings. It gets much easier after mastering the game, players in my test group can sometimes hit the meteors directly but more often speed past a meteor with a drone launched in front of them, change direction to whip the drone around and nail the meteor with it. Some can do this maneuver almost every time. Please try a few more rounds and let me know.

Game over indicator:

Right now the screen turns blue and an end tune plays when the game ends, I am thinking of having the city crumble as well from earlier suggestions.

Shields indicator:

The ship cycles through colors once it activates it's Ion shields (automatic when hit) and eventually returns to the starting color to indicate the shields are gone. Clearling a level restores the ion sheilds. I wish to avoid a HUD of any kind to keep the focus on the game, but great idea to have catching the score activate a power-up - maybe the power up could be a different type of torpedo that does pixelating explosions like you described :)

I am adding really interesting enhancements to the game design right now, including some you've talked about like easy mode settings and special features :)

Phosphor mode is not supported in the emu btw and tearing in 30 hz mode should not happen, that can show up from a seperate issue with Stella 4.x on Windows 10.

Thanks Kiwi, awesome feedback! :)

Gameplay:

Agree it is hard to destroy the objects, I am adding easy settings. It gets much easier after mastering the game, players in my test group can sometimes hit the meteors directly but more often speed past a meteor with a drone launched in front of them, change direction to whip the drone around and nail the meteor with it. Some can do this maneuver almost every time. Please try a few more rounds and let me know.

Difficulty setting not really necessary. I think game should start slowly easy and then get intense.

Game over indicator:

Right now the screen turns blue and an end tune plays when the game ends, I am thinking of having the city crumble as well from earlier suggestions.

This would be awesome, I still want to see my ship burst into pixelated pieces.

Shields indicator:

The ship cycles through colors once it activates it's Ion shields (automatic when hit) and eventually returns to the starting color to indicate the shields are gone. Clearling a level restores the ion sheilds. I wish to avoid a HUD of any kind to keep the focus on the game, but great idea to have catching the score activate a power-up - maybe the power up could be a different type of torpedo that does pixelating explosions like you described :)

I did the same when I made a generic shoot'em up for the Intellivision. The ship start off white. When you get hit, it turns yellow, and then red would indicates 1 more hit you're done for. It'll flash blue if it invincible after being hit or get a power up that cause the invincibility. I do the same for my Colecovision games.

I am adding really interesting enhancements to the game design right now, including some you've talked about like easy mode settings and special features :)

Phosphor mode is not supported in the emu btw and tearing in 30 hz mode should not happen, that can show up from a seperate issue with Stella 4.x on Windows 10.

I mean that the building kinda lag behind on the bottom half in 30hz mode, it's not a big deal. Alt-p will turn phosphor mode and I can play in 60 hz. And I'm keeping Window 7 on this computer :) .

• Like 1

No, it isn't. DVD is a 4:3 format. What you mean is that you've letterboxed it.

I swear to god, it's like you pick all the wrong words for things on purpose, and think you're clever for doing it.

How do you figure? CRT Television is 4:3 - DVD can be and I prefer it but it's usually widescreen.

Letterboxing is the clever description isn't it? ;)

post-30777-0-57591400-1458579768.png

post-30777-0-09350100-1458778247_thumb.jpg

Dream Machine is now available!

StarBlitz Dream Machine is a party game for fun and experimentation with several Dream state modes!

Dream Machine is based on 70's and 80's board game and video game designs from Saint John Gallery Software.

Dream machine is specifically designed to control the analog hardware in a CRT Television and breaks the emulator in over 100 different ways (real hardware only).

StarBlitz and StarBlitz impossible City are also available in PAL versions and can run OK in the emulator but may fall apart on Windows 10 installs. Several features are also not supported/do not function in the emulator, including the effects in Impossible City.

There are also enhancements including score power-ups extending gameplay at advanced levels.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/250665-starblitz-dream-machine/

I don't own a supercharger. :???:

You should get one Stardust! The CD-addon for the VCS is awesome, makes it feel like a Jag! :)

Unless you're playing Dream Machine, StarBlitz or KC, none of the 68K homebrews for the Jag measure up :grin:

You can use a Harmony too, but it cannot load directly so you must extract the image. I was hoping the Encore would enable the CD-addon but no dice.