IGNORED

Season 5 - The New HSC - Week 3 = Donkey Kong Jr.

JacobZu7zu7

So, just like when we played this for the HSC in 2011, I just can't get past the fifth Stage Three. I know you're supposed to hang on the upper right while the clampers pass underneath before making a break across the platform, but I cannot get DKJ to hang with his left toe up and safe. I lose all my lives uh the exact same spot of the same stage every game. That just isn't fun to play.

90,600post-29468-0-23292200-1454892595_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

:mad:

post-34560-0-11579900-1454907195.png

congratulations voodoo_chilly!!

that's awesome! I knew it could be done. my downfall, too many distractions (i failed to play every day). I got the "right toe" thing down, but kept running into nervously jumping at the wrong time on the top tier. (either that or suddenly jumping off vines multiple times in a row right before that level).

I think I cursed at the TV more times than any game ever before !!! :lolblue:

(I've also been playing Mr. Driller 2 lately which also gets one in the mood for spewing expletives.)

Edited by S.BAZ
  • Like 2

I really have no idea how you are supposed to get past the last level of round 3. They move faster than I can move up and get off the vine. Anyway, my final score is 47,200.

such a brutal game, you have to climb up just below the platform & wait til the trap goes by, then get up onto the platform right behind it & immediately jump over the oncoming one. which means you have to make two QUICK joystick taps to the left before jumping to the left, with only a tiny window of time to do it. the "toe" thing in level 5 & beyond is even more of a pain than that!

i think the controls might at least be better than Tomarc the Barbarian though xD

1. He finished each stage with slightly more time to spare.

2. He placed a 1-2 keys on the second stage and died, then completed that level.

I just scored (90,600 don't count it), but did it by milking just Level 3, Stage 2. I purposefully died after pushing in 1-2 keys. I did this several times, because it looks like you are rewarded +1 (or more lives) for completing a level, and this might max out at 3 lives.

Oh well.

i found out you can score points for jumping traps too.

one thing i also did was reset whenever I didn't get 5700 out of the 1st stage. then I noticed sometimes I actually had 5900 or 6000 at the start of level 1-2. (!) so it actually scores for jumping over traps, but I didn't know it would carry over after you died!

anyway, I think your score should count since what you were doing can't be done indefinitely (you have to move along or die right?), it's just a clever way to push for extra points during whatever levels you can get to. And, it doesn't give you any advantage compared to just straight up being able to keep playing on past Level 5. ... unless I'm missing something. ... any objections ?

• Like 2

i found out you can score points for jumping traps too.

one thing i also did was reset whenever I didn't get 5700 out of the 1st stage. then I noticed sometimes I actually had 5900 or 6000 at the start of level 1-2. (!) so it actually scores for jumping over traps, but I didn't know it would carry over after you died!

anyway, I think your score should count since what you were doing can't be done indefinitely (you have to move along or die right?), it's just a clever way to push for extra points during whatever levels you can get to. And, it doesn't give you any advantage compared to just straight up being able to keep playing on past Level 5. ... unless I'm missing something. ... any objections ?

It always confuses me some time what is considered milking, and what isn't. Technically, you can't kill splices forever on Mario Bros. After a while (about 300k on LV 10), splices no longer are created.
  • Like 1

such a brutal game, you have to climb up just below the platform & wait til the trap goes by, then get up onto the platform right behind it & immediately jump over the oncoming one. which means you have to make two QUICK joystick taps to the left before jumping to the left, with only a tiny window of time to do it. the "toe" thing in level 5 & beyond is even more of a pain than that!

i think the controls might at least be better than Tomarc the Barbarian though xD

About that "toe up" thing. What I do, is: After I get my head level with the barrier above, I let the trap pass. Then quickly I hold up until I hear three "clicks" or whatever you want to call the vine climbing sound effect. Same thing when getting up the next one. Three click sounds and my toe would seem to always be correctly oriented. To me, that seemed to be the key with getting past the Mario Hideout board from about 87K range and up. The earlier levels the "three click climbing sound effect thing" didn't seem to work, but from 87K and onward it was the KEY for me on that board.

And SBAZ, on that level you have to run across near top (after you do the 3 click thing twice to get there)... quickly get off the vine then run right and jump (still holding RIGHT) about an inch left of center...keep holding right till you are an inch left of last vine climb. Pause for a split second then jump on the vine WHILE the snapjaw is on it but near the lower half. If you don't pause, you jump on the last vine and hit the snapjaw. When you get to top you MUST quickly tap left twice to get off and press FIRE button IMMEDIATELY to jump snapjaw at top (tap left, tap left, fire). Then you just run to end.

Edited by voodoo_chilly
  • Like 2

It always confuses me some time what is considered milking, and what isn't. Technically, you can't kill splices forever on Mario Bros. After a while (about 300k on LV 10), splices no longer are created.

interesting, yeah it gets confusing & a tough call sometimes :ponder: in other versions of M.Bros it can go on forever, maybe it should be allowed in this one... anyway thanks for you honesty, you made the call & it makes little difference so we can just move on.