Photo

Do you spend more money on vintage or modern games?

57 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you spend more money on vintage or modern games? (168 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Vintage (142 votes [84.52%])

Percentage of vote: 84.52%

2. Modern (26 votes [15.48%])

Percentage of vote: 15.48%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

As Above

• 19,098 posts
  • So Below

Posted Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:56 AM

#2 Nutsy Doodleheimer OFFLINE  

Nutsy Doodleheimer

Total Retard

• 5,619 posts

Posted Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:57 AM

Vintage for me.

#3 Ransom OFFLINE  

Ransom

Quadrunner

• 5,066 posts
  • Pre-Crash Gaming and Computing Enthusiast

Posted Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:35 PM

If 'vintage' includes homebrews for classic conoles, then it's vintage for me. If it just means stuff made back when, then it would be 'modern' for me. I haven't bought classic-era games in quite a while.

#4 nanochess ONLINE  

nanochess

Processorus Polyglotus

• 5,897 posts
  • Coding something good

Posted Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:38 PM

I've bought a 10$ Batman for Xbox-360 last year, and around 900$ in Colecovision, Intellivision and Atari games, soooo, it's a fine example :grin:

#5 Schmitzi OFFLINE  

Schmitzi

River Patroller

• 4,538 posts
  • ToXiC

Posted Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:42 PM

Vintage, of course :)

#6 SiLic0ne t0aD OFFLINE  

SiLic0ne t0aD

River Patroller

• 2,416 posts
  • Rock 'N Roller, Space Patroller

Posted Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:43 PM

Vintage..by far

#7 PhoenixMoonPatrol OFFLINE  

PhoenixMoonPatrol

Dragonstomper

• 523 posts
  • Gonna take crackerjack timing to beat me pal

Posted Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:46 PM

Vintage,by far.

In the last year I've bought

Second Sega Saturn(Grey Japanese model)

YurkieVision

A 2nd Atari 7800 with AV mod

AtariMax 5200 cart

About 6 home brews in the last 5 months

I've bought like ....3 new modern XBox One games in the last year.

Many on Steam but only bought games at very cheap bargains. 

Not really feeling modern gaming anymore.

Too many gimmicks, too much focus on online where single player is an after thought,

and games are too buggy to invest $60.00 per game.

With retro you know what youre getting. These games have been developed for years and years so you know they have allot of love and care put into them.  And their single player is focused on fun.

Not selling you DLC and online memberships with day one patches. Yeesh,its sort of depressing what modern gaming has become.  

Retro brought my love back to gaming again.  No hassle or hoops to jump through. Just fun.

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol, Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:49 PM.

#8 atari181 OFFLINE  

atari181

River Patroller

• 3,460 posts

Posted Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:02 PM

Vintage, at least 100:1

#9 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

As Above

• Topic Starter
  • 19,098 posts
  • So Below

Posted Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:11 PM

I find even though I buy a good amount of vintage stuff the price tag on older stuff versus the price on modern new stuff balances it out or tips in favor of modern.

#10 atarilovesyou OFFLINE  

atarilovesyou

River Patroller

• 2,624 posts

Posted Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:43 PM

The last 'modern' machine I bought was a NOS Wii two years ago.  Before that, it was a Playstation 2...in 05 :) 

The only money I spend on video games is on old school stuff.  Now that I have all (well, almost) the systems I want, there's not much left to really collect except for actual carts, which I don't often do.  A few NES ones I'd like to snag at some point....a few VCS, but that's it.  Multicarts have made that easy for me; play what I want, but buy what I absolutely want to own.

#11 cmart604 ONLINE  

cmart604

Intellivision Hoarder

• 12,500 posts
  • Running out of things to buy.

Posted Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:52 PM

If you mean just for me then it's not even close, especially if you consider new homebrews as vintage. However, if you include stuff I buy for my son well then it would be closer but still vintage for the win.

#12 Life's Continues OFFLINE  

Life's Continues

Space Invader

• 14 posts

Posted Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:03 AM

;-) "No doubt about it, ... :arrow:  :arrow: ..."Vintage!!"... :P  :thumbsup:  ;-)

#13 w3dal OFFLINE  

w3dal

Space Invader

• 29 posts
  • playing atari :)

Posted Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:23 AM

vintage for me, i haven't switched my PS4 on since i got my 2600 for christmas and since then been buying carts every week, picked up a 7800 last weekend and also just had my dispatched email for the harmony.  Just really enjoying retro over current at the moment 

Edited by w3dal, Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:24 AM.

#14 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

As Above

• Topic Starter
  • 19,098 posts
  • So Below

Posted Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:14 AM

If you mean just for me then it's not even close, especially if you consider new homebrews as vintage. However, if you include stuff I buy for my son well then it would be closer but still vintage for the win.

I'm in the same boat. The stuff I buy for my son is what tips it to modern for me.

#15 KreatorKat OFFLINE  

KreatorKat

Moonsweeper

• 319 posts
  • "All dreams are but another reality. Never forget"

Posted Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:13 PM

Defiantly vintage for me, but I do like modern too. Its kinda complicated since I don't technically own a next gen console but I do still buy sometimes for consoles like the 360 and Wii, which certainly aren't vintage, but also aren't the newest. However I do own a 3DS and love its library.

#16 BydoEmpire OFFLINE  

BydoEmpire

River Patroller

• 2,869 posts

Posted Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:43 PM

Hardly ever spend money on video games anymore.  In fact, I've been selling off bits of my collection over the last few years.  If I happen to be at a garage sale or flea market and find an Atari cart I don't have I'll pick it up if it's cheap, but I don't go out of my way.

If I do buy something, it's for an 8-bit.  The Wii is the most recent console I own, but it's been several years since I've played a game on it.  Actually, that's not quite true - I got both the Inty and Colecovision flashbacks and enjoyed them both.

#17 Two-in-the-Belfry OFFLINE  

Two-in-the-Belfry

Chopper Commander

• 227 posts
  • Ask me about my dogs

Posted Mon Feb 1, 2016 8:32 AM

Vintage. I don't really have the time to devote to playing hours of a modern game vs a few minutes at a time of an Atari game. If I'm really interested in a modern game (usually the story), I'll usually watch a playthrough of it on Youtube.

#18 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 22,191 posts

Posted Mon Feb 1, 2016 9:49 AM

I don't spend money on videogames any more. Especially not cartridges and individual systems. Its strict emulation for me. But I do spend pocket change on vintage and modern computing to both maintain my existing setups and purchase new rigs from time to time.

#19 cjameslv OFFLINE  

cjameslv

Dragonstomper

• 656 posts

Posted Tue Feb 2, 2016 3:05 PM

Vintage for sure!

#20 BigO OFFLINE  

BigO

River Patroller

• 4,457 posts

Posted Tue Feb 2, 2016 3:26 PM

I assume that newly written games for vintage systems falls into the Vintage category. The only money I've spent on actual games in the past several years has been a purchase of Space Rocks for the 2600. May spend more if certain titles modified to use a trackball are released on cartridge.

I'd like to have a multi-cart for the Channel F, but the price is higher than I can convince myself to spend. (Not that it's over priced, just that it doesn't hold that much value for me right now)

The most modern system I've even played is a Wii. I have one because I got it in a trade that also got me an Odyssey2 and got rid of a Virtual Boy. I really wanted to like the VB, but it just didn't happen. I have a Genesis and SMS, but they haven't seen the light of day in years. Probably should dump those one of these days.

#21 mitchd61 OFFLINE  

mitchd61

Chopper Commander

• 117 posts

Posted Tue Feb 2, 2016 5:21 PM

Vintage, by far.

#22 wolfy62 OFFLINE  

wolfy62

River Patroller

• 3,391 posts

Posted Wed Feb 3, 2016 7:02 AM

Vintage for me, my son only new games for PS4! :)

#23 akator OFFLINE  

akator

River Patroller

• 2,647 posts

Posted Wed Feb 3, 2016 7:27 AM

Modern.  I've got plenty of retro and classic systems and games, and those purchases still total less than what it costs to buy new.  Every "modern" contemporary system I have owned, from Pong to the PlayStation to the PC, has cost me more than buying old games.  The amount I've spent on "modern" gaming from 1981 to the present is unquestionably more than any other form of entertainment.

#24 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

Glorified Toaster

• 6,990 posts
  • Remember how bright the future used to look?

Posted Wed Feb 3, 2016 1:40 PM

The number of current gen/modern items I've purchased in the last 10 or so years could be counted on one hand. So...vintage. :)

I need to back off a bit from adding to my collection and focus more on the infrastructural/maintenance end of it. My existing shelves can't hold all of my games (not even close, really) and my manuals are still in shoeboxes. :| Time for a custom solution there, I think. Plus, I have quite a few systems in need of retrobriting, and a couple others in need of repair/modification. Time to invest some time and cash to those endeavors.

#25 Metal Jesus OFFLINE  

Metal Jesus

Stargunner

• 1,272 posts

Posted Wed Feb 3, 2016 2:49 PM

Vintage... but this shouldn't be a surprise to anybody on this site ;)

That said, I actively collect for anything PS3/Xbox 360 or older and it's kinda all over the place for consoles. For Big Box PC collecting it's really 2002 or older

Edited by Metal Jesus, Wed Feb 3, 2016 2:49 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users