IGNORED

List of Pro Controller Games

Mendon

I just received a Jag Pro Controller; I know that Iron Soldier and some of the fighting games make use of it. Was just wondering if anyone has a list of Jag games that take advantage of the Pro Controller?

It may help you to know that the extra buttons are actually just mapped to the keypad:

X=1

Y=2

Z=3 (Z and X may be the other way around...experiment)

Left shoulder button is 4, and right shoulder button is 6. So you can use a Procontroller with pretty much any game using the keypad. Games I know of which have functions specifically for the procontroller (sidestepping mapped to 4/6, for example, which is a pain to do with a standard controller) are (in no particular order):

AvP (sidestepping)

Worms (grenade settings, some options)

Primal Rage (procontroller setup lets you use all 6 buttons)

Atari Karts (hard turn left and right)

Battlemorph (everything)

Battlesphere (everything)

Ruiner Pinball (fingertip buttons tilt left and right)

Ultra Vortek

Syndicate (everything)

Cybermorph

I think you can change web views with x/y/z in T2K as well.

Hope that helped!

Stone

Actually, with AvP, I'm almost positive the sidestepping is mapped to the 7 and 9 buttons on the keypad, which would be the x&z buttons on the procontroller(Towers II uses the shoulder buttons for strafing), I told someone the same as you did once, then the next time I played, realized my mistake. But as Stone said, any game that uses the keypad extensively, has the ability to take advantage of the extra procontroller buttons. Like in Cybermorph, you can use the shoulder buttons to change views, Doom lets you change between a few weapons with the pro buttons (as well as AvP), Blue lightning use the shoulder buttons for afterburner and airbrakes, and the X,Y&Z buttons to change from cockpit to external with I believe the Y button and the x&z do something too, that I forget offhand. The list goes on and on. There are actually only a small number of games that don't take advantage of procontroller buttons in one way or another, mostly the platformers(Rayman, Pitfall, etc), shooters (Raiden, TrevorMcfur, etc.) and half the fighters (DDV, Kasumi Ninja, Dragon:Burcelee) the other fighters do use them. there are a few others that don't use the buttons, but the majority of Jag games use them.

on the box, there are a lot more that say they are compatible in the manual...and then those that just are anyway, because Atari was wise enough to at least map the buttons to current keypad ones for maximaum compatibility! 1 of the few things they actually did right!

I remember doing some digging on this back when I was working on the Jaguar section. In fact, I think you can get a list of all the Jaguar Pro Controller games in our database. Let me see here...

Atari Jaguar Pro Controller

There are only seven games listed here, looks like I need to update it! I'll wait until this thread settles down a bit. :)

..Al

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Games I know of which have functions specifically for the procontroller (sidestepping mapped to 4/6, for example, which is a pain to do with a standard controller) are (in no particular order):

AvP (sidestepping)

Actually sidestepping in AvP is not that difficult using a normal controller as it can be performed using C+Direction.

I think that most people (myself included) forget this option is available due to the overlays, I only re-descovered it while play testing my adaptor.

I have noticed that many games have a similar if not identical control system for example, A+Direction to control object speed is this coincidence or did Atari specify a control format for software developers to follow?

If so then the C+Direction sidestep may work for other games as well even if it is not documented.

• 11 years later...

Love me some Wii U pro controller! It's my go-to if I am allowed to avoid the gamepad.

I was playing NBA Jam the other day and didn't see any button menu's in options that Utilitzed XYZ might have to break out the manual.

So..

Regular Production Run Games

Atari Karts

Battlemorph

Missile Command 3D

NBA Jam

Primal Rage

Post Production Run

Battlesphere

Skyhammer

Total Carnage

Towers II

Worms

Whats missing?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Planning on getting a pair of Jaguar Re-produciton Pro Controllers. Already got one genuine one. It looks like the extra buttons come in handy for more games than advertised.

The problem is I will have 3 Pro controllers. If I'm right, the only 2 games that are more than 2 players are NBA Jam and White Men Can't Jump. Do either of THOSE games use a Jag Pro Pad, (Including any of the keypad buttons that might be mapped to the L,R,X,Y. and Z). If it's similar to the arcade, I know NBA Jam is a 3-button game, Jump/Block/Shoot, Pass/Steal, and Turbo. Does WMCJ use any of the extra buttons? If No, then I'm selling one re-pro Jag Pro controller because I must buy 2 in one pack.

• 2 weeks later...

As I was going through my collection and digging through my storage boxes I not only found my pro controller in its original box that I cant wait to fire up but I also found a second one that I forgot I had still sealed in it's original box in plastic wrap. Definately a nice find considering what they're selling for today...

• 1 month later...

It may help you to know that the extra buttons are actually just mapped to the keypad:

X=1

Y=2

Z=3 (Z and X may be the other way around...experiment)

Left shoulder button is 4, and right shoulder button is 6. So you can use a Procontroller with pretty much any game using the keypad. Games I know of which have functions specifically for the procontroller (sidestepping mapped to 4/6, for example, which is a pain to do with a standard controller) are (in no particular order):

AvP (sidestepping)

Worms (grenade settings, some options)

Primal Rage (procontroller setup lets you use all 6 buttons)

Atari Karts (hard turn left and right)

Battlemorph (everything)

Battlesphere (everything)

Ruiner Pinball (fingertip buttons tilt left and right)

Ultra Vortek

Syndicate (everything)

Cybermorph

I think you can change web views with x/y/z in T2K as well.

Hope that helped!

Stone

Do all the Jag Pro pads act as the same keys universally, or are they changeable by the software? (Is Z, Y, X, 4, and 6, ALWAYS 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6, respectively, or can it be changed by the software) If the software can change it, maybe I SHOULD get that second Jag Pro pad for a fight stick. But if they universally map, I'll just use a standard Jag Pad, and augment it with a 3.5 mm system where any button on my joystrick can equal any key.

By the way, in street fighter terms, (just in terms of corresponding button layout, there is no Street Fighter Anything for the Jaguar, but there is for the 3DO, and there is Primal Rage for both with a similar layout.) is L the 3K button and R the 3P punch button in a standard 4 column x 2 row layout, or vice versa? I know C is QK, B is MK, A is HK, Z is QP, Y is Mp, and X is HP. I recognize the 3 column x 2 row layout that made Street Fighter famous.

Also has anyone considered a Saturn controller to Jag console with an add on keypad that can be fit on a Saturn Controller, with the 12 keys and the Option Key separate. Becuase the Saturn has a 3x2 layout and 2 shoulder buttons like the Jaguar Pro, just no keypad and option button.

The pro buttons are hard wired to the equivalent number pad buttons 1, 2, 3, 4, 6. Games that are enhanced can (but not often) have a pro-controller option that re-maps to the software's wishes. I can only think of Defender 2000 classic mode and Primal Rage that have interchangeable settings between standard and pro. Check out the other threads and also the manuals for Jag games on this site for a full / developing list.

Edited by skip