IGNORED

HSC13 Round 2: Zybex

IMHO everything you do on Atari 8bit looks much better on CRT. I have a VIDO -> HDMI upscaler here, and that thing is so slow that you notice lag while playing.

I hate the fact that old fashion TV's take so much space, otherwise I would collect them to be sure I have always a real tube tv for my atari in reach....

• Like 1

I'm surprised that there aren't people picking on the deficiencies of "Zybex." I thought I would enjoy this game the more I played it, but I found myself enjoying it less with each new game I played.

Zybex - 6,300 (PAL, Emulation)

post-4925-0-83366000-1455475694_thumb.gif

"Zybex" depends far too much on the random distribution of weapons, but that's rather typical of the horizontal shooting genre. My biggest gripe with the game is that it has item pick-up detection issues. You have to be centered exactly over an item to pick it up, and even then the pick-up doesn't happen every time. How come no one has mentioned this? I feel more like an observer in this game than a participant because of the autofire feature. I really want to like "Zybex"... but I just can't do it. Am I the only one who isn't a fan of this game?

I'm surprised that there aren't people picking on the deficiencies of "Zybex." I thought I would enjoy this game the more I played it, but I found myself enjoying it less with each new game I played.

attachicon.gifZybex (Atari 8-Bit)(PAL)(6300).gif

"Zybex" depends far too much on the random distribution of weapons, but that's rather typical of the horizontal shooting genre. My biggest gripe with the game is that it has item pick-up detection issues. You have to be centered exactly over an item to pick it up, and even then the pick-up doesn't happen every time. How come no one has mentioned this? I feel more like an observer in this game than a participant because of the autofire feature. I really want to like "Zybex"... but I just can't do it. Am I the only one who isn't a fan of this game?

I understand what you say, but I take it as a part of the game.

I see it in some way more as a puzzle indeed. You have to know the right route through the maze.

And when it comes to weapons... I'm not interested in them, I always use the same weapon, and that is the one you start with...

• Like 1

attachicon.gifZybex (Atari 8-Bit)(PAL)(6300).gif

Nope you're not the only one. It's an ok game, but nothing that special

I agree with Marius it's all part of the game, you fly through the power ups - you can't get them at the bottom or in the scenery but that's down to where you choose to shoot them. The first level has the same power ups - I thought they were in fixed positions - once you have 3 or 4 of the first weapon you are cooking. Worth playing until it clicks as it's right up there with the best and really shows what can be done on the machine. It's really intense too you have to quickly recognize each each wave and attack it, the more you play the more you learn ;)

If you missed this round or round 1 just post a late score and join in on round 3

Congratulations to Dope, two rounds won out of two :thumbsup: :thumbsup: but at least we gave you some competition this time ;) Very impressive score, and a new HSC record which was held by Fandal no less :) myself in 2nd with orpheuswaking in 3rd and impressive work from skr who takes 4th :thumbsup: We've discussed the game plenty but lets say it was a shock to the system at first and needed some serious time to re-master! Zybex 2 worth a play if you've beaten the first game and Zyclops was not bad but need to use "N" to skip levels when you are stuck for it to be enjoyable. (atarionline.pl have other ATR versions).

Thanks for playing everyone - I couldn't persuade bluecat to play this one :thumbsdown:

Final Tables

Zybex

1st Dope (n) 193,700 14pts*#
2nd therealbountybob (p) 187,700 11pts
3rd orpheuswaking (n) 177,000 10pts

4th skr (p) 173,750 9pts
5th Yautja (n) 147,950 9pts
6th McKong (p) 114,600 9pts
7th JK40001 (p) 68,750 8pts
8th spookt (p) 30,950 8pts
9th ProWizard (p) 27,000 7pts
10th Gury (p) 24,600 7pts
11th LidLikesIntellivision 19,000 6pts
12th Sleepy (p) 18,900 6pts
13th Sikor (p) 15,900 5pts
14th SHiNjide (p) 12,300 5pts
15th Gorfy (n) 7,550 4pts
16th ballyalley (n) 6,300 4pts
17th Bunsen (p) 3,650 3pts
18th Champions_2002 (p) 2,900 3pts
19th jblenkle (n) 2,550 2pts
20th roadrunner (n) 2,200 2pts
21st slx (p) 2,100 1pts
*includes bonus point for first player to complete the game

#includes new HSC record bonus point

please check your scores

Zyclops
1st therealbountybob (p) 9,865 2pts
2nd Dope (n) 6,995 1pt

3rd McKong(p) 5,940 1pt

Zybex 2
1st orpheuswaking (n) 103,750 2pts*
2nd Dope (n) 94,700 1pt*
3rd therealbountybob (p) 29,950 1pt
4th skr (p) 13,750 1pt
5th McKong (p) 10,500 1pt
6th Gury (p) 5,900 1pt

7th roadrunner (n) 3,800 1pt

8th Sikor (p) 2,950 1pt

*=Completed

If you missed this round or round 1 just post a late score and join in on round 3

Edited by therealbountybob
Updated with late scores!
  • Like 1