IGNORED

Atari 2600 Jr troubleshooting

supercoupe91

I recently purchased some consoles that included a 2600 Jr. It was disgustingly dirty. My expectations were pretty low when I opened it up and found bugs and rust on the metal shielding. I cleaned it up inside and out and hooked it up. The system powers on but there is no signal to the TV. I wondering how to go about troubleshooting this thing or if I should even bother considering the rough condition I got it in.

Hooked it up with an rca to coax adapter to my LED TV. Power supply is brand new and the red LED light on the console comes on which is the only way I know it is getting power. My TV doesn't allow me to manually tune to the correct channel. I have to turn on the console and have the TV scan for channels and detect it that way. It worked fine with my Genesis through the same rf cable and I have also tested the heavy sixer that I got my mom for Xmas the same way without issues. It won't detect the Jr though.

Not sure about modern TVs auto scan function, but Atari video signal is not as strong as Genesis signal, and does not, for example, "trigger" the automatic switch boxes that came with Genesis and NES systems. If you can get your TV to tune into channel 3 or 4 with another game system or VCR or whatever, then plug in the Atari instead and see if that works. Otherwise, I'd try an older TV to debug the problem.

Hooked it up with an rca to coax adapter to my LED TV. Power supply is brand new and the red LED light on the console comes on which is the only way I know it is getting power. My TV doesn't allow me to manually tune to the correct channel. I have to turn on the console and have the TV scan for channels and detect it that way. It worked fine with my Genesis through the same rf cable and I have also tested the heavy sixer that I got my mom for Xmas the same way without issues. It won't detect the Jr though.

Have you tried manually inputting the analog channel through your remote? In order to get analog channel 3, I have to input '3' '-' '0' on my remote.

Not sure about modern TVs auto scan function, but Atari video signal is not as strong as Genesis signal, and does not, for example, "trigger" the automatic switch boxes that came with Genesis and NES systems. If you can get your TV to tune into channel 3 or 4 with another game system or VCR or whatever, then plug in the Atari instead and see if that works. Otherwise, I'd try an older TV to debug the problem.

Took your advice and programmed channel 3 with my Genesis. Turns out the Jr is putting out a signal but it is very weak. Picture changes by jiggling rf connector. Best I can get is a black screen. Is this just a bad rf connection or do you think I have bigger problems?

Edited by supercoupe91

Anyone else got an idea?

Another alternative that might be cheaper/easier than finding a new TV is to pick up a cheap VCR at a local Goodwill. Run the Atari into the antenna input, then use the VCR's composite output to an auxiliary input on your TV. If the Junior is working, you'll be able to rule out any possible issues your TV might have tuning to analog signals.

Another alternative that might be cheaper/easier than finding a new TV is to pick up a cheap VCR at a local Goodwill. Run the Atari into the antenna input, then use the VCR's composite output to an auxiliary input on your TV. If the Junior is working, you'll be able to rule out any possible issues your TV might have tuning to analog signals.

Had a heavy sixer hooked up to it a few months ago without issues. NES and Genesis as well.

I picked up one last spring for $5 at my local Goodwill. I use it to "convert" whichever system I'm playing (Woody, Light Sixer, 7800) to composite so I can play games on the same monitor I use for my A8 machines, a circa 1987 Apple Color Composite monitor. Comes in handy as a "switch" too in that it has two sets of composite inputs as well as the RF tuner.

Anyway, if that doesn't help, it could be any number of things causing the Junior to malfunction. If you really want to salvage it, it's time to open it up, check solder points and traces, measure voltages to verify the voltage regulator, etc.

Took your advice and programmed channel 3 with my Genesis. Turns out the Jr is putting out a signal but it is very weak. Picture changes by jiggling rf connector. Best I can get is a black screen. Is this just a bad rf connection or do you think I have bigger problems?

:skull: