IGNORED

PNW - TI-99/4A Fest West 2016 - April 30th

Omega-TI

yeah, as I am ♪ far far away ♪ , "Centralia" just sounded a bit like "Valkenvania" to me, a village in a movie.... with Dan Aykroyd, Chevy Chase ?

Cannot remember exactly, but it was a very funny and strange movie. Maybe it was called different in english.....

Yeah, that's the right movie with the right actors. Released as "Nothing to Lose" in some countries.

To see how very deeply screwed up Lewis County is, I recommend http://www.lewiscountysirens.com to get a feeling for the local happenings. If what my sisters reported was accurate, the legal system is very much like that in "Valkenvania". Thank god I got out of there before they could pin anything on me icon_smile.gif

Edited by ckoba

Looks like we will need to employ the buddy system while we are there. Nobody 'split up' cause you know how that turns out in the movies. And if you cannot see I-5, go back to where you can see I-5.

Of course, most of the worst has probably subsided now that ckoba has given up his hunting ground. :)

-M@

(disclaimer: The above is all meant in jest. Humor does not always translate to textual form. If you don't see it as humorous, it is your fault. :P )

• Like 1

ckoba,

Things have changed since you left and went to Japan. Centralia is better off than in years past and is in fact growing. Chehalis is still kind of run down and like any place has it's share of poor and crime, but there are no more accents and no more Wobbly influence like in the early 20th century.

The rest of you folks, don't worry, it'll be daylight during the meeting and since the Werewolves don't come out till dark you'll be fine Oh, and if you wanted to get off the freeway and drive through Centralia on your way down to go to the outlet malls, there is plenty of concrete now.

gallery_35324_1027_63320.gif

• Like 2

Centralia is better off than in years past and is in fact growing. Chehalis is still kind of run down and like any place has it's share of poor and crime, but there are no more accents and no more Wobbly influence like in the early 20th century.

Centralia was mortally wounded when Weyerhauser pulled out (putting about half of my friends' parents out of work). When (whatever entity now owns the Steam Plant -- was PacifiCorp back in the day) bought out WIDCO and nuked operations (and put the rest of my friends' parents out of work), Centralia was finished.

I understand that there's a flourishing rash of factory outlets around the Harrison street exit, and most of downtown has been taken over by antique stores. The local mom-and-pop places like Thurmans, Yard Birds, and suchlike were decapitated by (what I've been told is) the only Walmart you can see from low-Earth orbit.

I went to school with the grandkids of *both* sides of the Wobbly unpleasantness. One of the Legionnaires' kids got into DeMolay and told a story about mementos kept in the Masonic lodge from the raid, and the Bland kids (to mention just one of the Wobbly families) were at constant war with the Stewart/Osborne clan (the "concerned businessmen" that gave the Legionnaires their marching orders)

Edit: for the record, I side with the Wobblies. Rule of law never really applied in Centralia; the place was run both in a political and a business sense up through the eighties by five or six families. Dark things happened there, and were covered up as a matter of course. Only in Centralia could the 1919 incident occur.

I don't think things have changed that much. Outwardly, maybe, but that crap from 1919 will always be seething beneath the surface. It's like Stephen King's "IT" without the monster.

The rest of you folks, don't worry, it'll be daylight during the meeting and since the Werewolves don't come out till dark you'll be fine Oh, and if you wanted to get off the freeway and drive through Centralia on your way down to go to the outlet malls, there is plenty of concrete now.

As with most of the I-5 corridor south of Tumwater, you're fine as long as you stay within about a half-mile of the interstate. Quoting a very-out-and-proud colleague who was telling me about a road trip he took, wherein he had to stop in Centralia to change a tire: "I realized that they kill people like me in places like this". He wasn't aware that I grew up there until after he said that.

Anyway, end pointless rant. You folks will have fun. Just don't stay icon_smile.gif

Edited by ckoba
  • Like 2

Looks like we will need to employ the buddy system while we are there. Nobody 'split up' cause you know how that turns out in the movies. And if you cannot see I-5, go back to where you can see I-5.

Sound advice. Jesting aside, it's really easy to get lost on the roads in the hills bordering I-5. Once you enter Napavine, good luck finding a way out that doesn't involve a helicopter.

Of course, most of the worst has probably subsided now that ckoba has given up his hunting ground. icon_smile.gif

I wasn't the hunter; I would have been the prey. Lots of kids "ran away from home" back then, never to be heard from again. And the local cops weren't interested in following up. I could write a small book on the "mysterious dead and disappeared" of Lewis County.

No, sir, on my seventeenth birthday I was sworn into the Navy and off to RTC.

(disclaimer: one of my sisters is among the "mysterious dead". I have difficulty remaining objective where Lewis County, its law enforcement, and its denizens are concerned)

Sounds like a lot of fun, ill be sure to attend with my breadboarded TI :)

Oh and I happened to grow up in Centralia, just a mile past the "steam plant". Dont worry, i got out of there in 2004, when pacificorp bought the mineral rights for my parents farm.. forcing us to sell our 40 acres and farm for just 12k..... They immediately resold it and subdivided the land into a bunch of prefab homes... Yup. I have my own reasons for hating that town and company. Theyll screw over anyone to make a buck.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I will totally be there! It is just about a half hour from where I am in Woodland, so you get one more relative TI noob. FYI, anyone coming from the north might consider a quick stop at the goodwill at exit 82. It is a throwback that actually gets good old crap and prices it reasonably. Last time I went there I got a pong unit and a speak n' math.

• Like 3

So, was there a Fest West 2015? If so, were there photo's. Just wondering what one should expect to see and do. How big is it. Should we bring something other than a sparkling personality?

I don't think there was a 2015 event.

So I think what to expect, will largely depend on what the attendees want to share. I'm imaging a open discussions intermixed with an open-mike-like ( not for standup, or song ) demonstration or sharing, and my greatest nightmare 'mingling' unless Omega has a more structured goal in mind.

Just having our sparkling personalities in one room will be totally worth it.

-M@