IGNORED

coleco controllers

metzger130

Coleco controllers are relatively easy to take apart and clean. So long as no plastic or metal pieces are broken, they should work after a cleaning. Just see if any bits of plastic or metal are loose inside when you open it up. If no little bits fall out when you open it up, you should be good.

I can confirm that for the soldered version too :/

But after resoldering the cables they should now last another 30+ years ;)

I don't want to abuse this thread but as it is quite fresh I would like to use this for my question:

Has anyone who modified his CV controller to tactile switches found a way to stabilize the joystick? As the big spring is gone mine is whobbling around. Putting in the original spring is not an option as it prevents completely the stick from moving and will force all tactile switches in the "pressed" position.

Also I would like to know, how to straighten the coiled cable of the controller.

Is there a safe and "easy" way to perform this mod?

Thanks in advance guys!

Edited by ColecoNoob

I wouldn't bother trying to straighten the cords. Its not worth the time or effort, and the coiled cords are part of the charm and history of the ColecoVision.

You can buy Sega Genesis extension cables for $4-$5, and that makes the coiled cord a non-issue.

I use Genesis extension cables on all my consoles (that have the 9 pin connector). You get much need extra cord length, and also you don't risk damaging the joystick ports by plugging controllers in and out of them. The ColecoVision has a problem with the controller IC failing, so using extension cables helps protect the system.

There’s a new method of taking the controller apart, start here… ;)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/248669-is-it-just-me-or/

Coleco controllers are relatively easy to take apart and clean. So long as no plastic or metal pieces are broken, they should work after a cleaning. Just see if any bits of plastic or metal are loose inside when you open it up. If no little bits fall out when you open it up, you should be good.

• Like 1