IGNORED

Sega Genesis controller test rom

grips03

Here ya go, guys. It's super basic but tests all buttons including MODE.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6028893/POLYGAMe_SMD_controller_test.bin

Works great!

Couple of feature requests if you plan to enhance:

Can you display [up,Right] [up,Left] [Down,Right] and [Down,Left]

Can you accept input from both controller 1 and 2

Awesome :) Helpful little tool, I reckon. Putting a game in and going through all the menus to get into a game to test a controller is a real pain. I used to use Street Fighter 2.

Yeah its so much nicer to have tools like these. The best ones draw the number of controllers the console supports, and then use an arrow for direction and displays the action buttons in their spots A,B,C, start in my case, then light up when pressed. You get the visual and its not in English. For me your utility is perfect, because I can put working controller in port 1 and controller to test in port 2. Everdrive only uses controller 1, so that is how I start the utility. Now with 2.0 I never have to remove controller 1 :) thanks again

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Awesome tool MantaNZ. I have a few questions/requests.

1. Can you visualize all buttons pressed simultaneously? Currently I can only test 1 button at once.

2. For 6 button controller what frequency are you using for the button sampling (select line, four pulses, third one is for XYZ MODE buttons)? Are you manually sampling the buttons or you're using some ready software?

Thanks!

To be honest most of that went over my head. lol. All written in C using Stef's SGDK. All I do is check for each button's state in a loop. I believe you can only check one at a time at this stage (haven't looked at it for a while). I could change this...

• 7 years later...