IGNORED

Atari 7800 controllers ?

Xgames

So recently i have been shopping around for better controllers for the 7800.All i can find are really exspensive ones on ebay.Anyway was just wondering if someone knew a good online reference for either modded controllers or the pal controllers.The advice would be greatly appreciated.Well in other news i finally recieved my AtariVox and the game Lead in man oh man such greatness.The AtariVox is great although i wondered one thing does it save high scores for all 7800 games or just the atarivox compatible ones?Also it works well with dungeon stalker i was impressed as hell to hear that coming from my 7800 ^^.Lead is a dam nice homebrew game i recommend that for anyone looking for a nice fast pasted game allthough i havent reached the end of it yet lol .Anyway just wanted to touch base.

Regarding controller options, probably the best bang for your buck right now would be picking up the Edladdin adapter enabling any Sega Genesis compatible gamepad or joystick to be used on the 7800.

High score saving via the AtariVox only works for games that are programmed to utilize the saving feature/method of the AtariVox device.

• Like 9

Yeah it does. Buttons b and c support both pro line buttons. A isn't used for anything.

An added bonus is that the seagull adapter even recognizes the turbo fire buttons on the Genesis fight stick. You can turn them on or off at any time if you choose to do so. But playing games like Phoenix and Space Raid are so much better with them turned on. Saves your fingers from pounding the fire button all the time plus I've gotten all time high scores with rapid fire turned on. That little feature alone no one really talks about but its really helpful for long play sessions. Once you have rapid fire turned on the Genesis stick its then as easy as holding your finger down on a or b button and you'll be kicking allot more butt within the games.

Does it support the two different button control of the ProLine's?

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol
  • Like 1

This and other threads are starting to make me assume that I'm the only fan of the hand crampers. :D

Being a fan of the originals, you may want to try to obtain the Telegames 7800 Super Deluxe Joystick.

It is designed very similar to the original Prolines but with better button response and the option to turn on rapid with continuous firing.

I will vouch for the Edladdin adapter. I got one recently. It works, it's well made, and you can't get any better than the Genesis controller (in my case, the six button controller) for the 7800 games that need two fire buttons.

What the adapter gets you is use of two, separate fire buttons on the Genesis controller, as you would with the regular 7800 controllers. Without it, only a single fire button works, like on a 2600 controller.

While the Euro pads might be interesting, and have the perk of being an Atari branded controller that is rather unique, it simply is not as good as the Genesis controller, especially when it comes to the D pad.

IMO, best use of money is the adapter. The Atari pads will cost more and are not worth it, from a functional, game playing perspective.

Also, IMO, the 7800 sticks absolutely suck. And if a game needs only one fire button, or no fire button, I prefer using the standard 2600 controller.

Edited by Brian R.
  • Like 1

I have one of those (or maybe it is the Best version?) stored in my closet.

It probably still would cause the hand cramping and the knob appears to be more phallic than the ProLine version.

With that having all been said as caveats, I'd still be interested in trying it out due to the differences with the fire buttons vs. the ProLine fire buttons, not to mention the rapid fire switch built in.

I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone mod one yet by adding micro switches, halving the stick itself, and adding a "Yurkie" knob to the top.

It probably still would cause the hand cramping and the knob appears to be more phallic than the ProLine version.

With that having all been said as caveats, I'd still be interested in trying it out due to the differences with the fire buttons vs. the ProLine fire buttons, not to mention the rapid fire switch built in.

I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone mod one yet by adding micro switches, halving the stick itself, and adding a "Yurkie" knob to the top.

It has been awhile but I remember it feeling better. The knob and fire buttons felt less rough.

Anyway, this is kind of off topic because it is about a different controller but still kind of on it because it is about one with a side button that causes hand cramps. I enjoy playing Seaquest with the Coleco Gemini controller but I always put a rubber band around it to hold down the button because my hand would cramp way too much to hold it down myself. However, I don't fault the controller for that but the game because I believe that if a game is meant to be played with continuous rapid fire then it should do it automatically without holding down the button. Or maybe one press of the button turns on the rapid fire, another press turns it off, and holding it down for a second pauses the game.

• Like 1

The NES modded controllers to plug into the 7800 go from $50 to $60.

I recently sold a bunch of these for 20$ for 1 38$ for 2 postage included to the united states

another batch of 15 or so should be appearing soon on the forums as I am just waiting on the cords to come in, then I have to assemble them

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247340-atari-26007800-rapid-fire-gamepads-sold-out/?hl=%2Baftermarket+%2Bnes

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 3

Osgeld's converted controllers are nice :thumbsup: . I like the somewhat clicky nature of the units he starts with, and they are well done (there's even two different colors for the LED, to indicate the turbo for A or the turbo for B being activated). And his pricing is excellent. I threw some Atari logos on mine and really like them.

IMG_0495.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick word of caution regarding the controllers that Osgeld has sold. While most of the games I have used them with work just fine, I have found a few odd issues with them with several games. The biggest one so far is that with Astro Blast, I'm not able to actually change any of the settings with his controllers. You can press down and it will react to select options, but it won't move back up, and when you press left or right to actually change the options, it just moves the selector up or down quickly and doesn't actually execute a left or right.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying his controllers aren't good as they are for most games, but several of the maze type games like with the pac-man collection and such to behave oddly with these controllers. Its almost as if you are pressing two directions at once and it confuses the atari on what is actually being done. Just a word of caution.

• Like 1