IGNORED

Vs. Super Mario Bros.

Well as we know back in Fall 1985 the world was introduced to Super Mario Bros. for the NES. In March 1986 it will mark the 30th Anniversary of Vs. Super Mario Bros. The coin op version of the NES game. I used to enjoy playing that when I was younger. But Vs. Super Mario Bros. is much different than it's NES release. I like the challenge this game brings to the table and you will notice the changes. I will break it all down.

- Levels are designed slightly different. More pits and more enemies in levels

- Certain levels carry 1-Ups

- World 7-4 maze has a different path

- Some levels are from Super Mario Bros. 2 (The Lost Levels) released a few months later in June 1986

-Triple digit coin tally

- Some power ups replaced with different ones

- Some enemies replaced with different ones. Most notably Goombas replacing Koopas at the end of 3-1 preventing the 1-Up trick

- Minus World trick is disabled at the end of 1-2 the bricks are missing to prevent the player from walking through from the glitch

-World 4-2 first warp zone takes you only to World 6, not 6,7, and 8

I did a two part Gameplay video of the entire game from start to finish. I died once in World 7-2. I scored 2,567,150 points.

• Like 5

I always thought VS. Super Mario Bros was cool. There's also a game called "Super Mario Bros. Special" released only for Japanese computers that's different than the original too. According to Nintendo, they used Vs. SMB as a platform to test ideas for the upcoming SMB 2 (japan). Obviously as you mentioned above, this is very apparent by some of the levels being exactly the same.

I always thought VS. Super Mario Bros was cool. There's also a game called "Super Mario Bros. Special" released only for Japanese computers that's different than the original too. According to Nintendo, they used Vs. SMB as a platform to test ideas for the upcoming SMB 2 (japan). Obviously as you mentioned above, this is very apparent by some of the levels being exactly the same.

Super Mario Bros. Special is indeed a fun game and I got a reproduction cart of it. Bought it from gamereproductions.com. Reccommend it for the NES.

post-32978-0-15732000-1454453622_thumb.jpg

I'd like to get a repro of this so I can finally play through it. There's an arcade/pinball hall I visit about once a year that has the game in its original cabinet, but I'd like to play it at home and see all the differences for myself.

Actually you are in luck. Bradd1978 is selling a reproduction cart in the Marketplace if you are willing to pay $80 for it. I sent ya the link.

Vs. Super Mario Bros. Reproduction cart

Does anyone know if there was a regular Super Mario Bros. cabinet out there? I remember staying at a hotel with a small arcade quite often as a kid and they had Super Mario Bros. there, so now I'm wondering if it was Vs. Super Mario Bros. and I just didn't know any different? All I remember was it had a lot of steel around the joystick area which would give you the odd shock when you'd get out of the pool and go mess around up there. I remember trying to tell some old bearded dude there was a 1-Up hidden in 1-1 and he told me to "fug off".

There's Vs. SMB and there's the Playchoice 10.

That's what I figured, but neither have the metal I remember. Maybe it was just put on there for a fix or maybe I'm totally mis-remembering. I couldn't have been older than 9 (if that) the last time I saw the machine. I'm almost positive it wasn't the Playchoice 10 but I also have no recollection of the marquee. The only game I remember them having was Legend of Makai and to be honest, the only reason I re-discovered that game was through someone on AA where I described the look of the cabinet and he knew the game.

I'd give my right nut to have footage of me running around arcades and shit, seeing things how they were back in the day. I spent so much time at that hotel and I can picture the entire layout. I went on their site to see if they still had a little arcade... obviously I knew it'd never still be there. It was replaced with an exercise area.

I always thought the vs. and Playchoice 10 were the same thing. You mean you could play vs SMB without a time limit? I always thought the Playchoice 10 was garbage, lol, but only because there was much better stuff to spend your quarters on at the time. It was ok for trying something out before you decided to buy, but the time limit idea was a pain in the ass.

I like these repro carts, but I've yet to pick any up since I just download the ROMs into my multicart. There is something cool about owning a physical copy, though.

I like vs. SMB and the NES version, but I've always thought that scrolling platformers don't really work well as arcade games and are better-suited to sitting on a couch in front of a console and TV at home.

I always thought the Playchoice 10 was garbage, lol, but only because there was much better stuff to spend your quarters on at the time. It was ok for trying something out before you decided to buy, but the time limit idea was a pain in the ass.

You beat me to it. Such a scam! Here, play a shittier-than-arcade version of Rush N' Attack and insert coin to keep going even though you haven't died yet... garbage. I remember back in the 80s being very upset when they rotated out the real arcade game at the local ice cream parlor and brought in one of these pieces of shit in its place.

I don't remember seeing a Playchoice with SMB. But Vs SMB was everywhere early on. They were regular dedicated arcade canibets with traditional arcade sticks and buttons.

At the time, people in my hometown thought that the NES version was the port and that the arcade was running on something like Donkey Kong Jr/3 hardware.

Come to think of it, my buddy had a full size SMB in his basement....it must have been a vs machine, it must have been. Oddly enough, I wasn't too interested in playing it, lol. No idea why, very unlike me. OH YES THAT'S RIGHT...I wasn't ever a big fan of the game :)

Ah, Goonies on Playchoice 10. I did play that. I think AVGN had something to say about Goonies 2 because of the fact we didn't get Goonies 1, but wasn't 2 just a graphical improvement on the first one? Maybe it was originally an MSX game? Time to fire it up on the powerpak!

Honestly when I first saw this game at my local arcade in the 90's, I didn't think much of it,but that's simply because I played SMB the home version first so in my mind at the timew I thought what's the point since I already have it at home. I do remember out of curiosity spending a few quarters to see what was different,and noticed it's only harder.

Over time I have grown to like it,but have to agree with an above poster that,when it comes to the Playchoice games I usually went with Goonies.

I second the awesomeness of Super Mario Bros. Special on the NEC PC-8801. It was produced by Hudson Soft,same makers of the Adventure Island series.

• Like 1

I love The Goonies for the Famicom! Such a fun game to play. I remember back in the late 80's when I was a kid seeing Goonies 2 it threw me in a loophole wondering to myself and all excited. Is there a Goonies 2 movie, the sequel to the original? Only to be disappointed that there was no such thing. One of my favorite 80's flicks. Kind of odd the first installment was released in Japan for a home unit, especially it's more popular in North America.

post-32978-0-07154100-1454577858_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Actually you are in luck. Bradd1978 is selling a reproduction cart in the Marketplace if you are willing to pay $80 for it. I sent ya the link.

Vs. Super Mario Bros. Reproduction cart

Unless it has DIP switches like mine, you're not getting the full package.

vssmb_big.jpg

A real shame they got discontinued. Out of the four VS repro carts I own, VS SMB, VS Duck Hunt, VS Exitebike, and VS Hogan's Alley, Duck Hunt is by far my favorite. You can shoot the dog in the bonus rounds, provided you are using a CRT. Otherwise, the game is a paperweight.

vsduckhuntdog2.png

:lol:

• Like 3

Unless it has DIP switches like mine, you're not getting the full package.

vssmb_big.jpg

A real shame they got discontinued. Out of the four VS repro carts I own, VS SMB, VS Duck Hunt, VS Exitebike, and VS Hogan's Alley, Duck Hunt is by far my favorite. You can shoot the dog in the bonus rounds, provided you are using a CRT. Otherwise, the game is a paperweight.

vsduckhuntdog2.png

:lol:

That never gets old :rolling: I guess they just don't have the proper parts or paying for them as to why they are discontinued. I don't even know if they get much profit on their site. Vs. Excitebike is fun I have it on emulation. I enjoy the bonus stages! Hogan's Alley doesn't differ as much. The Castlevania one I actually enjoy and it brings a great challenge. I did a youtube playthrough video yesterday. I only died once on a cheap knock into the water death. You have no time to goof off in the first 3 areas and move fast! Same as everything in the NES with a minor difference being the colors look warmer.