IGNORED

Prices In Your Town

hizzy

Hi,

I was wondering what people are paying for stuff in their hometowns. I thought I would share some ads with you all. I think you'll find some of these amusing :)

Here's a mix of Atari & Coleco carts for 150.00

This one is a bit interesting to me because I don't really see boxed carts locally, but 200 bucks might be high. I don't know:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-old-video-games/ouest-de-lile-qc/atari-2600-games/1136154736?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Here's Crystal Castles sealed. 60.00:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-old-video-games/laval-rive-nord/crystal-castles-by-atari-silver-box-atari-2600-sealed/564233979?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

There's also an Atari computer for 7 grand. I have no idea about computers, though :P

Atari in my town is pretty shunned. The few used video game stores pretty much refuse to take them in so their stock never changes. Then you have the nuts on craigslist who think frogger is a $60 game and the 2600 is worth $300...ya so no idea on that. There was one guy who had over 600 games sit on craigslist for a month or so and i went there and grabbed a few since he was only asking $1-2 each. Poor atari doesn't get much love.

This one is a bit interesting to me because I don't really see boxed carts locally, but 200 bucks might be high. I don't know:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-old-video-games/ouest-de-lile-qc/atari-2600-games/1136154736?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I also think it's very expensive. I'm ready to pay 10-12 euros for a cib game I really want, but never in a lot of 14 !

I never see 2600 stuff in shops, and on the lists, sellers obviously think they have a treasure to sell...

The computer itself isn't worth more than 100 euros (a bit more as there is a HD, let's say 150). Maybe he thinks that midi and music disks cost a lot ? Some Michael Jackson's unreleased songs ?? ;)

(or Celine Dion's as it's a canadian computer :) )

Edited by Cambouis de l'Atari

There are a few Atari collectors in my area and plenty of other video game collectors more in the NES era that keep the atari games moving among trades...etc. But as an example of prices, most common 2600 carts are about $1 - $3 each. Other games like Frogger, DK, or say Mario Bros. will go for $10 here. But the actual rarer games tend to get missed. Examples are that I have picked up 2 loose Track N Fields for the 2600 in the past for $1 each and just yesterday picked up Piece O' Cake, and Squeeze Box loose in great condition for $1 each.

The actual systems vary wildly. You have the craiglisters who put up 2600 systems with chewed up joysticks and a handful of common games and expect $100+ for that. But then sometimes you can get a system with a few games for $50.

• 3 weeks later...

I was told by an employee that the Salvation Army store here gets Atari 2600s and Commodore 64s and they sell them for about $5 when they come in. But I have never seen them. I was told they sell within minutes of being put on the shelf. I haven't been lucky enough to be in the store when they put them out. :(

30 for a 2600 and 4 joysticks. The seller had it listed for 3 weeks. I contacted him and said it was sold. Was thinking of giving all my family members 2600's and games for christmas one year... or better yet a harmony cart.

That's a good price if it works. I can't seem to find anything locally.

Atari gear in our town is dirt cheap. The one independent store we have, they really don't want any of that stuff in their store. PS1 onward, with just a smattering of Genesis and SNES games. Maybe some NES too I guess, but that's as far back as they want to go. He's not even interested in C64, Amiga or any of that. In fact, offered me a large C64 package for free once (was a trade or the guy just dropped it off I guess) but declined as it was all junky.

Anyway... every great now and again, they'll have a dingy/dirty box of 2600 carts to peruse and all priced at $.50ea. Typical flea market fare though, common, missing labels, war torn, etc.

Well, considering the rarity of seeing them on Craigslist here. About 40% of the time or higher they seem to have a need to put down the crack pipe, and step away. The last one I saw had 4 5200 games at $60 a peice. But, here is the catch they were 2600 games, and looked to have been buried in mud for 10 years plus. Combat, Missile Command, Slot Racer, and Enduro... As you can figure they kept popping up for months.

I do have a gameshop that infrequently gets a hold of them, and sells at reasonable prices. Been very slim pickings as of late though. Seems like the Atari goody well has run dry.... Not a big deal since cash is tight at the moment.

Great homebrew shells!!!

Believe me when I say you'd be unhappy if you bought a homebrew and it came in one of the shells I've seen lately. Thankfully, Al's standards are high - which is why we love him! :lol:

Besides, the last big box of random 2600 games I saw, for some reason or another - were mostly Mattel games! And no Burgertime, Star Strike or Bump 'n Jump of course. A lot of International Soccers though! :rolling:

• 2 weeks later...

There are two places in my town that sells retro games. The one doesn't usually take 2600 games but occasionally they get a lot where there are some thrown in and I have been able to pick through them. The other place has seriously weaned down what they take in but what they do have is usually a dollar, the only exception was the Snoopy and the Red Baron which was $10, but considering the price it is currently holding at on eBay, it seemed like a steal.

Where I'm at there's not really any amazing prices to speak of. Craigslist listings generally stink and there are no good game stores around. There is a good flea market I visit a lot though. It's tough going through the entire place for games but I've found a few nice deals there. No Atari love at all though: in all the time I've been there I've only bought one Atari game, Space Invaders for the 2600. Mostly Nintendo stuff I've found there but you never know.

Around where I am there are five main local game stores, and two of those have more than one store. My favorite one stopped selling anything pre-NES, but I got a good deal out of a 7800 that way. The other lone store, sells all Atari games for $5, which has made for some rare game to come my way, like Artillery Duel and Fast Food. Sadly, they went from a full rack of Atari games, to a shelf, which to me means they'll be next in line to shun pre-NES. The last lone store only has a few Atari games, and at $10 each for title like Donkey Kong and Air Sea Battle, they're not moving any time soon. They did happen to have a CIB Xevious for the 7800, but that's the only thing I've seen move. One of the two chains sometimes has good deals, like a CIB Combat for $1, but mostly falls short, like with Space Invaders for $5. It's also hard to shop there because you have to call EVERY store to get a clear picture what they have, with most of it likely being CIB though, it's sometimes worth it. The last chain is the best, with games priced accordingly, and several shelves of 2600, 5200, 7800, and all the main pre-NES consoles, my only complant is that they need to clean their floors more.

I've found two shops that carry Atari games in my city. One of them is a big game reselling emporium that has quite a good selection, assuming you're willing to pay $15 for a loose copy of Combat. The other is a smaller pawn shop which "prices their games so that they'll sell quickly". All their 2600 games are $5, which isn't too too bad, the downside is they're always commons and they only have 3-5 at a time. I've never seen an Atari console in the wild so I don't know what those go for.

Actually, there is one other place I know of that sells Atari stuff. I walked in, saw they had priced a Dr. Mario (NES) loose cart at $55, and immediately walked out. Let us never speak of it again.