IGNORED

Other slots for incognito

Ram slot 3 provides the D6xx signal which by design was intended to support such expansions.

The others, nothing really other than part of the address bus.

Doesn't Icognito require some modification before install anyway? So it's not like modifying the vacant Ram slots would be outside the spirit of the thing.

Does it have facility to support more addons (thinking here like a header block which could passthru needed signals.

If anything at least the Ram slots could provide the accomodation and power for extra upgrades. Interfacing doesn't necessarily have to use the edge connector as well.

Maybe some sort of multi-IO card for the modern day. Thinking SD card, Bluetooth. Maybe throw USB in as well.

I was thinking of sticking a 3.5 in HD in there...with an adapter to the larger IDE size. That's just convenience, though, it wouldn't really be taking advantage of the PBI or the slots. I really think this opens up a lot of possibilities for PBI stuff, though, bluetooth, USB, ethernet, co processors, etc.

• Like 1

There are adapters that plug into IDE and provide a CF slot. What we need here is the opposite. A CF card size/shape adapter that plugs in a CF slot and has an IDE cable coming out of it to connect to a drive. This would be a passive adapter, only adapting to a larger size connector.

I have never seen such a thing, but it seems to me that it could be useful.

Since we already have a CF for a hard drive, I think we should concentrate on things like high speed serial ports, 80 column video, ethernet, etc.

I'll say it one more time, maybe someone will appreciate my idea: I'd like to see a replacement CPU card combining Rapidus and VBXE. We would still have the three slots behind Incognito available for other things.

• Like 4

Problem is, this stuff becomes very niche market.

It's been hard enough just getting VBXE established. And I doubt installs of that have even hit 300 yet despite it being available for probably 6 years now.

Sad, but true...

I guess I'm going to have to save up money (very difficult), and buy a VBXE and some 40 line ribbon cable and connectors. I already have a 65802 in there, but only at 1.79 Mhz. One jumper wire on the CPU card allows an 816. But...

High RAM presents another problem: We must prevent the $Dxxx area from being decoded at $1Dxxx, $2Dxxx, etc. by the chipset. Therefore, the decoding logic (and RAM) would have to be on the CPU card, between the CPU and the address bus. (I think).

Ideas for high RAM on an 800 anyone?

The lower 16 address lines are the same if the address in question is $D301 or $1D301 or $xD301. We must "turn off" the chipset and ROMs for all addresses above $FFFF.

That means, as long as the upper 8 address lines are all 0, then chips and ROMS are active, but they must be de-selected if any of the upper 8 address lines are active.

Otherwise, it would be a tedious process of writing code to avoid these areas, and that destroys the whole idea of using one big chunk of linear RAM.

Since we already have a CF for a hard drive, I think we should concentrate on things like high speed serial ports, 80 column video, ethernet, etc.

I'll say it one more time, maybe someone will appreciate my idea: I'd like to see a replacement CPU card combining Rapidus and VBXE. We would still have the three slots behind Incognito available for other things.

Yes, I'm more interested in a 65c816 type co processor board and stuff like that rather than a HD, which is already supported anyway. An IO card that extends the PBI bus to bluetooth, ethernet, USB, etc. would be very cool, with or without a processor enhancement. A VBXE is, to my taste, going too far down the 'it's not an atari anymore' road, but any kind of IO support that could be hooked into the 8 bit architecture would be exciting. Even just dropping an arduino or something on a card and hooking up the IO pins to the PBI bus would allow for a lot of stuff. SIO is just too slow for doing that kind of thing for anything besides emulated disk, but a direct memory or PBI interface would do nicely.

I know this really isn't the place for this, but I can't resist...

How can you say that a VBXE makes it not an Atari, and then suggest an arduino?

The VBXE is 100% in the spirit of Atari. It is an enhancement to the existing video chips. Existing software runs just the same, except with a clearer pictute. The VBXE is all good, and everyone should have one.

• Like 3

Hehe, its just opinion kyle, as I stated. I don't want to open that discussion! The point about the arduino is that it would just feed IO, and not participate in any kind of other massive change to the hardware capabilities. I think the VBXE is great, but in my opinion I don't really want one. I do want IO, preferably PBI or other direct memory integration.

• Like 1