IGNORED

Abused XE

Panther

That's some nasty soldering. :o

I had to clean flux out of the nozzle of my Hakko desoldering gun twice as often than I had to empty solder from the chamber.

The guy was in high school back when he did this and had no soldering experience. He did drop off a box with me one day a few years back with all his Atari stuff, so I certainly appreciate that!

• Like 1

You can remove those capacitors around the SIO port as well.

Are you going to bring this back to 128KB or do you leave it to 64K?

I'm not sure it's a good idea (if 64KB) to leave the XE-MMU there.

Ah now I read you are going to put in the extra bank, but you didn't do that yet.

Edited by ProWizard

You can remove those capacitors around the SIO port as well.

Ah now I read you are going to put in the extra bank, but you didn't do that yet.

SIO and video cleanups, definitely. As for memory, I'm thinking of just leaving them out and sticking in an Ultimate 1MB. As far as I know, only the lower 64KB bank is used with the U1MB.

• Like 2

SIO and video cleanups, definitely. As for memory, I'm thinking of just leaving them out and sticking in an Ultimate 1MB. As far as I know, only the lower 64KB bank is used with the U1MB.

I guess the XE-MMU is bypassed by the logic of U1MB, so It probably won't matter.

You could remove the XE-MMU and put some 0 Ohm (or wires) on the right places. Have to look that up if you need it.

Perhaps someone (FJC?) can confirm that the Extended XE memory can be left out with U1MB (I mean: floating lines do not matter then, with the XE-MMU installed, but no actual RAM chips installed).

I'd remove the XE MMU as a matter of formality when removing all extended RAM, although I'm not sure it matters with Ultimate (and it appears not). Ultimate just requires 64KB of base RAM.

Funny thing, I just noticed on Lotharek's page one of the installation example images showing a 130XE with the second memory bank removed.

Nice rescue, congrats!

Thanks! Now I think I have more 130XEs than I know what to do with.

Actually, I'm finding it very handy to have one that's out where I can do things like follow traces to locate pads for connecting mods.