IGNORED

Atari 800 and sio2sd

rigaTONY

To ensure the Loader software is run at each boot:

On SIO2SD double press SHIFT to get into Config mode.

Press K1 button until cfgtool mode: is displayed.

Press K2 button to select every startup.

Press K3 button.

Press K1 button until topdrive mode: is displayed.

Press K2 button to set it to off.

Turn off computer.

Turn on computer.

I swear that this doesn't work for me. I don't know if the problem is with my 800XL or with my SIO2SD device but I simply cannot get the on-screen loader. I've tried updating to the latest firmware but have had no luck. Otherwise the SIO2SD works perfectly so it's no big deal, I just have to limit my file names to sixteen characters or less.

I swear that this doesn't work for me. I don't know if the problem is with my 800XL or with my SIO2SD device but I simply cannot get the on-screen loader. I've tried updating to the latest firmware but have had no luck. Otherwise the SIO2SD works perfectly so it's no big deal, I just have to limit my file names to sixteen characters or less.

have you tried different versions of the Sio2SD.xex file?

• Like 1

have you tried different versions of the Sio2SD.xex file?

I am so freaking stupid sometimes.

I had not put the SIO2SD.xex into the ROOT directory of my SD card. I downloaded Lotharek's files and read some (new to me) online instructions and got the onscreen loader to function but it still wouldn't autoboot. Then it occurred to me that *EVERY TIME* I was using the SIO2SD, I was doing it with my Ultimate or UNO Cart plugged in (pushing the X button to boot out of the cart). So I decided to unplug the cartridge and try booting with the SIO2SD shift button held in. Wa-la. The SIO2SD loader popped right up. Duh.

Like I said, what an idiot. Thanks for the suggestion; it definitely got me finally heading in the right direction. :)

Edited by SS

From here:

https://retrogamesultra.com/2017/03/06/atari-sio2sd/

To ensure the Loader software is run at each boot:

On SIO2SD double press SHIFT to get into Config mode.

Press K1 button until “cfgtool mode:” is displayed.

Press K2 button to select “every startup“.

Press K3 button.

Press K1 button until “topdrive mode:” is displayed.

Press K2 button to set it to “off“.

Turn off computer.

Turn on computer.

Those 2017 instructions seem based on my guide online for years: http://www.santellocco.com/atari/consigli-sio2sd.htm#english

For example

Atari 8-bit computers:

ON-SCREEN LOADER INSTRUCTIONS (v3.5)

ARROWS/JOYSTICK select file .xex or disk image .atr

KEYS 1-8 mount selected file/image into drives 1-8

CTRL+T lets you toggle between real drives / virtual drives

ESC climb directory tree

X (long press) restart computer with selected images

RETURN/FIRE enter directory/load file/disk image

Retrogamesultra:

Loader Instructions (v3.5):

ARROWS/JOYSTICK: select directory/file (.xex) or disk image (.atr)

RETURN/FIRE: enter directory/load file/disk image

KEYS 1-8: mount selected file/image into drives 1-8

ESC: go back through the directory tree.

X: (long press) restart computer with selected image(s).

CTRL+T: lets you toggle between real drives / virtual drives

A thank you or a link to my website would be appreciated.

Anyway, the important thing is that they can help people use SIO2SD.

• Like 1

A thank you or a link to my website would be appreciated.

Anyway, the important thing is that they can help people use SIO2SD.

Apologies, that's not my site and I was unaware that they had taken it from yours. I tried to give credit, but got it wrong.

Apologies, that's not my site and I was unaware that they had taken it from yours. I tried to give credit, but got it wrong.

No problem my friend!

I know it's not your website and you couldn't imagine it!

BTW, do you remember than many many years ago you sent me XF551 PAL rom that solved my issues?

• Like 1

No problem my friend!

I know it's not your website and you couldn't imagine it!

BTW, do you remember than many many years ago you sent me XF551 PAL rom that solved my issues?

I have a vague recollection of that. Glad you got it all worked out. I kind of dropped out of the hobby for a while, but recently got the bug again.

• Like 1

I just have to limit my file names to sixteen characters or less.

It's not necessary to rename files.

Thanks to DriveSort, all my files on SD card are in alphabetical order, so I know that first "The Dark Crystal" is disk #1, second "The Dark Crystal" is disk #2...

All my files have the format NAME YEAR PUBLISHER/AUTHOR so it would be a lot of work to rename them and maintain two versions of them.

Hm. I'm yet one more in the long row of Atari 800 owners (my unit being NTSC) who never have gotten SIO2SD to work on it, despite I tried to install the custom loader before. Perhaps I should try a couple more times and follow the instructions thrice to the point. The 800 works with a 1050 though, so it should have a working SIO interface.

Hm. I'm yet one more in the long row of Atari 800 owners (my unit being NTSC) who never have gotten SIO2SD to work on it, despite I tried to install the custom loader before. Perhaps I should try a couple more times and follow the instructions thrice to the point. The 800 works with a 1050 though, so it should have a working SIO interface.

I do not have an 800 myself, so I cannot comment directly. However, Lotharek does have a "Fixed loader for 400/800 computers" on his site. Maybe this can help you with your problem.

https://lotharek.pl//files/Sio2SD-v35fixed.zip

• Like 1

Nope. No dice whatever I try, regarding configuration settings, version of the loader, location of the loader, file ending of the loader. The SIO2SD runs firmware 3.1, and as it works great on my 130XE, I simply will stick to using it there are let my 800 go with cartridges including AtariMax and the occasional floppy disk, as to me it seems like impossible mission to get SIO2SD to work with the Atari 800.

• 2 months later...

I figured out my problem, BTW. The main problem was that I am a giant dummy. Things are working just fine with the SIO2SD device now.