IGNORED

McWill's LCD Mod for Lynx 1

nathantw

The other McWill's LCD Mod thread is now dictated by GG talk and I need help on the original Lynx. I thought I followed the directions but I may have blown it up since nothing happens and each time I try to turn it on I smell something. So here are my problems. First the instructions said to replace R34 resistor with 0 Ohm or bridge. I didn't have 0 Ohm anything so as a bridge I just soldered a piece of wire from one end to the other. On the VCC he mentioned soldering a wire to TP12, which I did. I wasn't using the VGA connector. On all the other pictures I saw I didn't see anyone soldering TP12.

In the instructions it shows "Backlight." Okay, cool. What the heck is supposed to go there? It says you can leave the wire of the backlight. What wire?

So after putting it all together I saw smoke as my wires for the speaker got melted away by the little black part that got majorly hot. However, the speaker wire is the last thing I'm worried about since new wire can be soldered on.

I'm starting to think this is a lost project. What do you think?

post-41918-0-28824400-1455430667_thumb.jpg

post-41918-0-03276000-1455430696_thumb.jpg

post-41918-0-96089400-1455431016_thumb.jpg

Edited by nathantw

You have some strands of wire that look like they might be shorting to other connections there - I would get some good flux, a magnifying glass and tidy the solder connections with that flux, and cut off any loose strands. Then double check you've got all the correct wires in place.

Thanks for your reply. I checked the wires right after the photo was taken and they weren't anywhere near the contacts. Because it's a 2 dimensional photo it looked as though everything was sitting on one another but in reality it wasn't. I cut the extra strands anyway. Unforunately I think I might have shorted out the entire thing. The black box (Q11) next to the speaker wire overheats until the solder boils. I'm sure nobody else has that problem. I'm not sure what is causing any of this. I checked every connection and they're correct.

If you are saying the transistor Q11 is getting really hot to the point the solder is boiling you've got a short somewhere - perhaps you've killed Q11? I would re check all the connections, including around Q11 to make sure you've not got a bridge somewhere.

Thanks. I was going to re-do everything all over again, but I think I did kill Q11. We'll see though. Can you do me a favor, though, can you look at my first photo with the yellow wire? Is that okay or right? I'm basically just bridging that connector.

• 5 years later...
On 2/19/2016 at 5:18 PM, nathantw said:

Thanks. I was going to re-do everything all over again, but I think I did kill Q11. We'll see though. Can you do me a favor, though, can you look at my first photo with the yellow wire? Is that okay or right? I'm basically just bridging that connector.

Just an update, It's over 5.5 years later since I literally gave up on the project. I recently found all the parts that I threw into a bag and into a box. Well, I learned a few things about soldering and decided to give it another shot. I'm so happy to say that my McWill Lynx is now working! It looks so nice. Now I know why everyone was so thrilled to risk killing their Lynx to get this done. Now I can finish Dracula and Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure!

The only problem I have is it keeps powering on even after I turn it off.

PBFD5414[1].JPG

IMG_3014[1].JPG

Edited by nathantw