IGNORED

BitWriter 1050 Replica - Interest poll

tf_hh

Hi all,

I would like to start an interest poll for my newest project, a full working replica of the BitWriter 1050 (which also includes the Super Archiver as needed by The BitWriter - of course).

post-15670-0-62651600-1455966857_thumb.jpg

What you need to use this PCB:

• A none modified (i.e. no Happy, no Speedy, no other enhancement) Atari 1050 drive
  • Some solder skills (it´s easy)

What´s the goal of using this hardware:

• You get a Super Archiver 1050
  • You get a BitWriter 1050
  • You can copy mostly all copy-protected games for backup or software preservation
  • Reading/Writing/Formatting Double Density
  • Highspeed SIO

... and what´s not:

• Anything better than a Speedy, a Happy or a MegaSpeedy

The top point to use such a solution is to preserve original game disks as wanted by collectors and general software preservation. Of course you will find nearly all games cracked or modified in other ways to run, but it wasn´t the real thing. The BitWriter reads and writes the disks bit by bit, so missing bits, timing issues and other nice copy protection schemes were just copied as they are.

The price will be in the range between 40 and 50 euros (or approx. 45 up to 56 US-Dollar) and it´s depending on the amount of orders.

Timeline for this offer:

• Interest poll until the end of February 2016. If you want one (or more), please write it here
  • I check for prices of all parts, calculate the final price and will write it here
  • Payments via PayPal are collected until March, the 15th. 2016
  • I order the PCBs, all parts and so on
  • Delivery or parts to me and then assembly may take 4-8 weeks depending on several sources and my spare time
  • Shipping to you will be done approx. in the mid of April 2016

Shipping costs for one piece worldwide:

• 6 euros (registered letter, refund in case of lost or damage max. 30 euros!)
  • 9 euros (insured registered letter, refund in case of lost or damage up to 200 euros)
  • If more than one piece is ordered, the shipping costs will increase a bit

If you´ve any questions, please ask. I´m not every day online at AtariAge, it´s always better to write an email to tf_hh@gmx.de instead of sending a PN!

Maybe the final delivery will be done earlier as last year with my Sys-Check, but I will give the maximum time first, better to be faster than slower as expected...

Many thanks for helping and realizing this project to Guus Assmann and Michael Alers!

BR, Jurgen

Edited by tf_hh
  • Like 3

i had the BitWrite many years ago on a 1050 disk drive.. i could never figure what it can copy that the Super Archiver 2 could not?

CSS advertise back in those days that the BITWRITER can copy thise SYNAPSE or EA proected disks.. but i found that the standard SA with the Super Archiver 2 software can copy those as well.

What are the real advantages that the BitWriter gives over the SA?

Nir

• Like 1

i had the BitWrite many years ago on a 1050 disk drive.. i could never figure what it can copy that the Super Archiver 2 could not?

CSS advertise back in those days that the BITWRITER can copy thise SYNAPSE or EA proected disks.. but i found that the standard SA with the Super Archiver 2 software can copy those as well.

What are the real advantages that the BitWriter gives over the SA?

The real advantage IS the possibility of writing a track-by-once bitwise. This includes all things like more than 40 sector headers for example (Super Archiver Software can´t do this), disrupted sectors and skewed sectors with maximum track length used. The Super Archiver hasn´t the memory (just 2 KByte is used due limitation of 6507 CPU and direct access) to write a full track by once, so there are always little glitches in timing - some protections tests exactly this.

For example, the EA title "Archon 2: Adept" could only by copied with the BitWriter. There are some more software titles. The Super Archiver supports slow-mode read/write at 270 RPM (like B. Engls "Turbo 1050" it does), but the BitWriter supplies also 275 and 282 RPM. When reading copy-protected disks, these more speeds gives more possibility to detect what´s (wrong) written on that track.

That´s all I know or have analyzed by scope. Maybe the software does more than I wrote here. I ask Bob Puff to get permission (he does give it to me), but he hasn´t any documents any longer. So we can only try it out...

Jurgen

put me in for one as wel...

i remeber been able to copy the original ARCHON 2 disks using the regualr 1050 Super Archiver and the SA 2 (v2.03) software..

but the original SA 2 (v3.03) software was protected, and the disk could not be copied even with the BITWRITE software.

i still have an ATR inage of the Bitwriter software

• Like 2

put me in for one as wel...

i remeber been able to copy the original ARCHON 2 disks using the regualr 1050 Super Archiver and the SA 2 (v2.03) software..

but the original SA 2 (v3.03) software was protected, and the disk could not be copied even with the BITWRITE software.

i still have an ATR inage of the Bitwriter software

Maybe (it seems so) there are different versions. In europe the first title ("Archon 1") was published by Ariolasoft - a german record company with a computer´s software spin-off using the same name. This game used "only" skewed sectors and can be copied with the Super Archiver 3.12 "Skew Mode" version (the normal 3.02 doesn´t do it!). Normally the 3.02 and 3.12 was published on one hard-protected disk. But there are open versions in the wild... The 3.03 only supports medium density, when I´m right.

Archon 2: Adept was published (in europe) by Electronic Arts. There are a hand full of EA titles using the same protection scheme and only - as fair as I know - the BitWriter does it. Maybe Super Archiver 3.03, but didn´t try that.

The BitWriter tool V1.4 (dated 05/05/88) is the last and not protected version I know.

Jurgen

Edited by tf_hh

If this Drive can be Drive #2 and exist with this http://atariage.com/forums/topic/231176-mega-speedy-the-ultimate-1050-upgrade-intrest-assesment/?p=3099815 1050 upgrade as Drive #1 I would also like to have one.

Ok, I can´t give a 100% guarantee, but I didn´t know any reason why it shouldn´t. Actual I use a 1050 with MegaSpeedy as drive 1...4 (switches at the front for easy access), a second 1050 with the original Super Archiver and BitWriter boards from the Eighties (also switchable) and, at last, a bare 1050 PCB equipped with my replica. All works fine - with a total of approx 3 meters SIO cables. So when there´s trouble, then - so I think I can say - the reason is not this replica, but other things like SIO length, not-removed smoothing caps and so on.

• Like 1

One for me then..

Ok, I can´t give a 100% guarantee, but I didn´t know any reason why it shouldn´t. Actual I use a 1050 with MegaSpeedy as drive 1...4 (switches at the front for easy access), a second 1050 with the original Super Archiver and BitWriter boards from the Eighties (also switchable) and, at last, a bare 1050 PCB equipped with my replica. All works fine - with a total of approx 3 meters SIO cables. So when there´s trouble, then - so I think I can say - the reason is not this replica, but other things like SIO length, not-removed smoothing caps and so on.

Okay one for me.

Hi all,

I would like to start an interest poll for my newest project, a full working replica of the BitWriter 1050 (which also includes the Super Archiver as needed by The BitWriter - of course).

attachicon.gifBW_1050.jpg

What you need to use this PCB:

• A none modified (i.e. no Happy, no Speedy, no other enhancement) Atari 1050 drive
  • Some solder skills (it´s easy)

What´s the goal of using this hardware:

• You get a Super Archiver 1050
  • You get a BitWriter 1050
  • You can copy mostly all copy-protected games for backup or software preservation
  • Reading/Writing/Formatting Double Density
  • Highspeed SIO

... and what´s not:

• Anything better than a Speedy, a Happy or a MegaSpeedy

The top point to use such a solution is to preserve original game disks as wanted by collectors and general software preservation. Of course you will find nearly all games cracked or modified in other ways to run, but it wasn´t the real thing. The BitWriter reads and writes the disks bit by bit, so missing bits, timing issues and other nice copy protection schemes were just copied as they are.

The price will be in the range between 40 and 50 euros (or approx. 45 up to 56 US-Dollar) and it´s depending on the amount of orders.

Timeline for this offer:

• Interest poll until the end of February 2016. If you want one (or more), please write it here
  • I check for prices of all parts, calculate the final price and will write it here
  • Payments via PayPal are collected until March, the 15th. 2016
  • I order the PCBs, all parts and so on
  • Delivery or parts to me and then assembly may take 4-8 weeks depending on several sources and my spare time
  • Shipping to you will be done approx. in the mid of April 2016

Shipping costs for one piece worldwide:

• 6 euros (registered letter, refund in case of lost or damage max. 30 euros!)
  • 9 euros (insured registered letter, refund in case of lost or damage up to 200 euros)
  • If more than one piece is ordered, the shipping costs will increase a bit

If you´ve any questions, please ask. I´m not every day online at AtariAge, it´s always better to write an email to tf_hh@gmx.de instead of sending a PN!

Maybe the final delivery will be done earlier as last year with my Sys-Check, but I will give the maximum time first, better to be faster than slower as expected...

Many thanks for helping and realizing this project to Guus Assmann and Michael Alers!

BR, Jurgen

Count me in for one but then again I would like to get my original Super Archive and Bit writer 1050 Back from Guss.

looking good to see a message about the bit writter

Steve

looking good to see a message about the bit writter

Steve

I have my own orginal Super Archiver and BitWriter :-)

Please write to Guus. I have sent kudos to him, because we exchanged our re-engineering schematics. Both of us do re-engineering the Bitwriter PCB without knowing each other to do this... :-)