Hey everyone! It's been a while since I've worked on anything atari, but I've started up a new homebrew project that I hope to finish, tentatively called "Taxi Panic!". It's a top-down city arcade taxi game, I'm aiming for a city that's maybe 7x5 screens or so in size. You'll be picking up fares and delivering them to their destinations while the clock ticks down. Sort of a 2600 homage to Crazy Taxi.
So far I've got a first pass at the driving physics and car sprites implemented, and now I'm working on designing the city layout. I'm trying hard to make the car physics feel as smooth and "analog" as possible, right now the movement works in 11.25 degree increments (32 directions), and the visual sprite has 16 increments (22.5 degree precision). movement values are based on a lookup table for sin/cos values times an acceleration curve for speeding up and slowing down.
The city will be created entirely with the playfield, and I need each screen to line up properly, so in order to make designing it easier, I've decided to make myself a little tool:
It's an app (made in Unity, since I'm familiar with it) that actually runs on my iPad, and lets me design the city easily. Eventually this data will be exported out of the app into playfield data for the game.
Anyway, I'm starting this thread because getting feedback tends to keep me motivated. Let me know what you think!
Edited by walaber, Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:43 PM.