IGNORED

New 4MB RAM expansion

Simius

The most important thing to me I guess is how compatible this device may be with other memory upgrades? By which I mean can existing pieces of software that might be expecting a RAMBO or COMPYSHOP expansion use this or must an application be coded in the new 816 assembler code to actually access the additional RAM?

At the end of the day I'd like to replace my broken Ultimate1MB with this but I don't understand the *.RTF memory address mode document very well. Can anyone enlighten me?

The most important thing to me I guess is how compatible this device may be with other memory upgrades? By which I mean can existing pieces of software that might be expecting a RAMBO or COMPYSHOP expansion use this or must an application be coded in the new 816 assembler code to actually access the additional RAM?

At the end of the day I'd like to replace my broken Ultimate1MB with this but I don't understand the *.RTF memory address mode document very well. Can anyone enlighten me?

There are many different ways it can be configured. RAMbo, CompyShop, Separate ANTIC access is all there, and may be mixed with linear RAM in various amounts.

You only need "816 code" for linear RAM. Remember that "816 code" IS 6502 code with a few extras. Remember, LDA STA LDX STX LDY STY TAY TAX etcetera and so forth are all the same.

There are many different ways it can be configured. RAMbo, CompyShop, Separate ANTIC access is all there, and may be mixed with linear RAM in various amounts.

You only need "816 code" for linear RAM. Remember that "816 code" IS 6502 code with a few extras. Remember, LDA STA LDX STX LDY STY TAY TAX etcetera and so forth are all the same.

That does sound ideal Kyle22! To be specific, the Ultimate1MB offered "RAMbo 320kB", "CompyShop 576kB" and "RAMbo 1088kB" modes. Can this device do the same?

• Like 1

Read through the lines in the file attached in the first post. It explains it all.

That is where I am struggling - sadly it doesn't mean anything to me really. Although I recognize the terms 'Axlon' and 'PORTB' I have never heard of 'XCON' - this is where I hope a good bilingual manual or web page will be made to help.

bah, reading fail. Morel, the answer is yes as far as I can tell.

Many thanks danwinslow!!! Even with a determinedly more sober analysis this does seem an excellent expansion!

Is there any word when Simius might be getting these out or is he still putting the last touches to the release? I think the figure of '20' was mentioned for the first run - hopefully given the amount of interest that may increase if he has sufficient components.

That is where I am struggling - sadly it doesn't mean anything to me really. Although I recognize the terms 'Axlon' and 'PORTB' I have never heard of 'XCON' - this is where I hope a good bilingual manual or web page will be made to help.

XCON is the name they use for the operating mode. There are modes to support every configuration.

Yes, it does RAMbo.

Yes, it does CompyShop.

Yes, it does separate ANTIC access.

Yes, it does Axlon.

Yes, it does Linear.

And, many combinations of the above.

Do you need a reason? I never seem to.

I don't have an unlimited number of systems to mod. Aside from the one souped up 130XE, I like to keep one of each stock. I guess that's the answer really. All of the priorities weighed, any reason I might have to install another mod into another system is simply not as important to me as keeping everything I currently have as it is.

Or maybe I buy another system! MUAHAHAHA!

Edited by pixelmischief
  • Like 2