Atari Lynx Cartridge 3D Print Available

cartridge 3d printing

13 replies to this topic

#1 lachoneus OFFLINE  

lachoneus

Chopper Commander

• 229 posts

Posted Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:48 PM

I have been pursuing the idea of prototyping some Lynx cartridges, and wanted to see if I could get something that looked similar to an original production cart.  Using a set of calipers, I duplicated the cart shell in Blender and I have it up for sale for devs,  on Shapeways, who may want to create more attractive prototypes.  I have already done some prints myself, working out my own mistakes and adjustments required by the 3D printer.  I included the details from the store page below and there are pictures available on the store page.  I am selling these at production costs to keep it as accessible as possible (no extra moneys for me  :_() .  Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

http://shpws.me/LJKD

Also, a quick question to those who are more similar with piracy on the Atari Lynx.  Would it be wise to keep this listing publicly available or not?  Last thing I want to see is this model being used to make pirated games look better physically.  If there is interest from developers, and listing it publicly isn't a good choice due to piracy concerns, I can make it unlisted, and then give access to the print upon request.   Regardless, if I ever catch wind of someone selling other people's software with this cart shell, I will take it down.

About this Product

Reproduction of the Atari Lynx Official Cartridge with small adjustments to accommodate 3D printing requirements, and the use of a different model of integrated circuit.  Details Below:

*Accommodating 3D printing requirements*

This version of the cartridge has and extra 0.2mm added to both the left and right side of the cartridge.  This was to meet the minimum requirement for "Wall Thickness" to ensure that the print would not be vulnerable to breaking.  This has been tested with a working circuit board (California Games).  It fits perfectly into the console, and plays the game normally.

*Accommodating New integrated Circuit model*

The depression beneath were the circuit board sits has been dropped an additional 0.6mm to accommodate the additional height of the SST39SF0(10/20/40) TSOP package (8mm x 14mm & 1.20mm high).  (Data sheet: HERE) NOTE: This has not yet been tested with the actual integrated circuit.

*Other Notes*

-Plastic isn't quite as dense as and original Lynx Cartridge, but is still quite tough.  

-I have inserted, removed, and reinserted ~500 times to test wear on the plastic.  Seems resilient and only polishes the the surface where there is pressure and friction when inserting.

-The black hard plastic is currently not available as a polished material.  As a result the surface shows scratches very easily.  The material is still resilient, but just doesn't look as nice as the other colors.

-Plastic is not brittle, so, even though the 3D printed cartridge bends and flexes more than an original Lynx cartridge, it is still resilient.

-The original production circuit board for "California Games" fits perfectly.  When attached to the cartridge with masking tape, and then inserted into a Lynx console, the game plays normally.

-Currently there is no circuit board design that includes the new integrated circuit indicated above.

-Thin/small wall edges are not as sharp as the original cartridge, but still usable and will hold the circuit board and label effectively.

#2 karri OFFLINE  

karri

River Patroller

• 2,463 posts

Posted Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:11 PM

Very nice looking cart. What kind of chip fits into the cart?

#3 lachoneus OFFLINE  

lachoneus

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 229 posts

Posted Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:42 PM

Very nice looking cart. What kind of chip fits into the cart?

I picked the SST39SF0(10/20/40) TSOP.  This was listed in the lynx bitbucket https://bitbucket.or...rilynx/lynx/src as "lynx / contrib / blankcart / Cart / 25022A.pdf".  I made the big assumption that this is an acceptable chip to use because the data sheet was there.  

As far as my limited knowledge goes for designing circuit boards and assembly, the only change I had to make to the original design was making the square hole slightly deeper (0.6mm).  This is to accommodate the height of 1.20mm.  This also assumes that a custom circuit board follows a similar design as an official release.  This makes the wall of the cartridge a bit thinner, but as long as no direct pressure is applied to the area, it should be a tolerable change.

From what I understand, and again based on my limited knowledge of IC's, this IC should work in most cases right?  If not, is there another one I should be looking at?

Edited by lachoneus, Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:52 PM.

#4 karri OFFLINE  

karri

River Patroller

• 2,463 posts

Posted Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:04 AM

This is a perfectly good chip. The price is $1.24 + VAT. I just chose the PLCC case for my blank cart design.

If you could send me the exact measures (or the blender model) then I could create a small PCB board that fits the cart. I don't have a 3D printer yet so your nylon enclosure plus a small PCB could be the ideal release format for new games. My Raspberry Pi based programmer (http://discohat.com/shop/ Atari Lynx boards / programmer) can be used for programming this cart.

Edited by karri, Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:09 AM.

#5 7800fan OFFLINE  

7800fan

Quadrunner

• 5,606 posts

Posted Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:23 AM

Isn't Atari fuji logo and name still copyrighted? Shouldn't the 3D printed case not refer to Atari at all? Without the raised logo or name, it would be very hard to make fake repro of older and highly sought after game like Desert Strike.

#6 karri OFFLINE  

karri

River Patroller

• 2,463 posts

Posted Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:45 AM

It may be a good idea to leave out the Atari logo from the plastics and make a plain print. Unfortunately there will be fake replicas based on this design as it looks genuine.

Actually I could even think of making a small set of stylish blank carts that contain whatever I feel to be nice to bring with me. Like 4 copies of Championship Rally for netplay. And they could be re-programmed to 4 copies of Zarlor Mercenary a few minutes later.

Edited by karri, Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:45 AM.

#7 lachoneus OFFLINE  

lachoneus

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 229 posts

Posted Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:54 AM

This is a perfectly good chip. The price is $1.24 + VAT. I just chose the PLCC case for my blank cart design.

If you could send me the exact measures (or the blender model) then I could create a small PCB board that fits the cart. I don't have a 3D printer yet so your nylon enclosure plus a small PCB could be the ideal release format for new games. My Raspberry Pi based programmer (http://discohat.com/shop/ Atari Lynx boards / programmer) can be used for programming this cart.

No problem. I will get you the specs tomorrow sometime. It would be awesome to see some releases with this 3D print.

Isn't Atari fuji logo and name still copyrighted? Shouldn't the 3D printed case not refer to Atari at all? Without the raised logo or name, it would be very hard to make fake repro of older and highly sought after game like Desert Strike.

Your exactly right about Atari's ownership of logo. I swapped out Atari's logo for my BitJag logo as a place holder and for print detail expirementation. It is amazing how much detail 3D printers can achieve.

It would be incredibly easy for me to swap the BitJag logo out for something custom, or if someone wanted it removed completely.

Thank goodness Atari let the design patent lapse for the cart design, or I wouldn't even be attempting this right now.

https://patents.goog...ari corporation

#8 lachoneus OFFLINE  

lachoneus

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 229 posts

Posted Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:01 AM

That programmer is awesome. I might have to burn some stuff sooner than I thought.

As for having options for the logo, I think I can setup customability options for the print. This will allow customers to request something custom without having to go through Shapeways quality and elligibillty tests again on my end.

#9 lachoneus OFFLINE  

lachoneus

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 229 posts

Posted Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:57 AM

Karri, here are the measurements for the circuit baord. The one I designed the 3D print from was for California Games. (In case there are different sizes for different games...)

Circuit Board Dimensions
55.35mm x 23.35mm x 0.38mm

The IC's center point should be at about 7.5mm from the top of the circuit board and 27.5mm from the side.

I was just thinking, if you come up with a design that allows for an eeprom for saves let me know where that chip would sit on the board, it's data sheet for dimensions, and I can get another version put up on Shape ways.

It would be awesome to have an Eye of the Beholder cart that looks legit that I could play. It would definatley be a red plastic cart

#10 Turbo Laser Lynx OFFLINE  

Turbo Laser Lynx

Moonsweeper

• 461 posts

Posted Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:12 AM

It looks great, and really nice with all the colors! Thanks for your work lachoneus. It would be really awesome having these for Karri's programmer as well (obviously!) ^^

Actually I could even think of making a small set of stylish blank carts that contain whatever I feel to be nice to bring with me. Like 4 copies of Championship Rally for netplay. And they could be re-programmed to 4 copies of Zarlor Mercenary a few minutes later.

This immediately came to my mind as well, and of course colorful Lynx releases would be so sweet! :lust:

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx, Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:29 AM.

#11 Lynxman OFFLINE  

Lynxman

Moonsweeper

• 420 posts

Posted Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:46 AM

Regardless, if I ever catch wind of someone selling other people's software with this cart shell, I will take it down.

If?

I think the question is "when it will happen"...
I am sure someone will do it...

The shell itself looks good!

#12 karri OFFLINE  

karri

River Patroller

• 2,463 posts

Posted Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:28 AM

The very thin pcb is about twice the price compared to 1mm. But on the other hand the area is smaller.

For EOTB there is lot of work. You need to rewrite the code for accessing the game save and re-direct it to an eeprom. I already have protos with 62k eeprom chips. But unfortunately not the skills or time to start disassembling EOTB.

The best bet would be to add support for 93c series of eeproms.

#13 lachoneus OFFLINE  

lachoneus

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 229 posts

Posted Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:00 AM

That sucks about Eye of the Beholder, I had the wrong impression that it was already being enjoyed to its fullest... Well, if I have the skill and experience to approach it one day, it would definitely be something worth tackling.

Until then, here's to hoping someone else might have interest in doing the leg work.

If?I think the question is "when it will happen"...I am sure someone will do it...The shell itself looks good!

Exactly. The other option is to make the listing private, and then provide a link to those who seem "legitimate" in their reasons for printing. But I hate it when things have to be regulated like that.

I guess I shouldn't worry about it and let people do what they want to do and just try to keep people informed about pirated games.

#14 karri OFFLINE  

karri

River Patroller

• 2,463 posts

Posted Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:45 PM

That sucks about Eye of the Beholder, I had the wrong impression that it was already being enjoyed to its fullest... Well, if I have the skill and experience to approach it one day, it would definitely be something worth tackling.
Until then, here's to hoping someone else might have interest in doing the leg work.

Someone already did some magic for the carts that are out now. And we all know who that could be. In any case I single stepped through the save code a few days ago and the code is not compatible with 2 wire eeproms. If the code fits in the same space then it is doable.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cartridge, 3d printing

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users