IGNORED

What 2600 game that everyone else loves, but you just don't like?

TPR

The Atari 2600 has given us some absolute "classic" releases throughout it's years. Games that to this day are still referenced in pop culture and are STILL played today. Just a few that come to mind - Asteroids, Space Invaders, Pitfall!, Defender, Ms. Pac-Man, Berzerk, River Raid, Demon Attack, Missile Command, etc, etc.... The list goes on...

But even though some of these games are considered the "best of..." the system, there has to be one or two of them that you could just never get into, for whatever reason. We are NOT looking for what you think is the "worst games" of the system, but which of the games considered to be classics, or most popular, that everyone else seems to LOVE, but you just do not like?

For me, mine has to be Defender. I used to LOVE watching people play it in the arcade, I was mesmerized by the people who played it well as I watched them dodge what seemed like an impossible amount of pixels on screen flying at them, but somehow they came out unscathed scoring an amazing amount of points. I sucked at it. I would put a quarter in and last 30 seconds on a GOOD day! I remember getting the Atari 2600 cart when I was probably 10 or 11 thinking to myself "ok, this is MY TIME to shine at Defender." But nope. Never was able to do it. I had lots of other favorite Atari 2600 games, and even though everyone else around me LOVED the game, I just couldn't get into.

What are your games that everyone else loves, but you really just don't like?

Well, it used to be Asteroids. And I've never really cottoned to Missile Command.

But I'll have to go with either Adventure or *gasp* Pitfall II. I get WHY everyone goes ape over Pitfall II, and I totally understand why it's such a technological achievement for the system, but it, like Adventure, feels more to me like a "quest" game, rather than the more traditional "arcade-style" games that make up the majority of the polled "top 100" games in this forum's survey. And I prefer the latter style of gaming to the former. I don't hate Pitfall II, and I own it just in case I come around one day (make note, Mikey Of 2019, when you're reading this), because it's definitely a good game. But as far as the question asked...

Yeah. Uhhh... Pitfall II.

*ducks and covers*

I think we did this topic recently. Anyway, I'll second Pitfall II (topical too, since it's this week's High Score Club game). It's technically amazing but just so tedious to play. And I'll add a vote for Yars' Revenge. It's a so-so shooter at best, certainly not an all-time great.

• Like 1

I think we did this topic recently. Anyway, I'll second Pitfall II (topical too, since it's this week's High Score Club game). It's technically amazing but just so tedious to play. And I'll add a vote for Yars' Revenge. It's a so-so shooter at best, certainly not an all-time great.

Yes to both of those ,I hate Kaboom!...never liked it or any other game where you have to stop fast falling objects hitting the floor. (Astrosmash style). In this case an Activision game that looked good but did not play well.

• Like 1

TPR I got halfway through your post and started thinking "Defender" and then saw it's the answer your gave! But I wouldn't say I hate Defender, I'm just not very good at it. Do people love Demons to Diamonds? I can't play that one for too long without the sound effects getting to me. Not a fan of Adventure either.

My final answer would probably be Reactor which CGR reviewed highly and seems well-liked, but I hated it then and I hate it now. Terrible gameplay! Blecch!

• 2 weeks later...