would like to update my older Ultimate cart. to the newest firmware with XEX loader, but I am completely lost... (but I do have at least an Altera programmer / USB-Blaster)...
- creating an account at Alterra was awful as hell, after this was done, I tried to download a Quartus 15.1 version and it took approx. 100 clicks where it always moved me back to the start page (no clue why), but after a while I came to the download page; here the same thing happend, I clicked onto one of the many download versions and it moved me back...
- after another 100 tries (download version 15.1, Windows OS, direct download) I finally reached the page where I could choose between Pro Edition, Standard Edition and Lite Edition
Question 1: Which version (Pro, Standard, Lite) do I need ? Or doesn`t it matter ?!?
- I simply chose the Lite version, now a new page comes up (still no download!):
Quartus Prime Lite Edition (Free), Quartus Prime (includes NIOS II EDS), ModelSim-Altera Edition (includes Starter Edition)
Question 2: Which one do I need ? Or do I need all of them ?
- there are even more choices: DEVICES: You must install device support for at least one device family to use the Quartus prime software. ARRIA II Device support, Cyclone IV device support, Cyclone V device support, Max II / Max V device support, MAX 10 FPGA device support
Question 3: Which one do I need ? Or do I need to select all of them ?
- When I select all, a new window opens up (still no download!): Akamai NetSession Interface, to download the selected software you first have to install this download manager, bladebladebla. I never use such download managers, because most ot the time they do things I do not want automatically...
So I clicked here and there dozens of times and downloaded some single files (still not sure, if these are the right ones), e.g. Quartus Lite 188.8.131.52-windows.tar (size: 5.2 GB) and ModelSimSetup-184.108.40.206-windows.exe (size 1.1 GB);
Question 4: Are these files okay or do I need something else ?
Are they completely nuts at Altera ? Do they want to avoid that anyone is downloading their software ? Do I need a special IT degree or diploma to unterstand their process of creating an account, logging in and downloading some software ?!? Can I take revenge on them for endlessly wasting my time and most likely downloading stuff I do not need, while forgetting to download software I require ? Could someone kill that Altera page...?!?
Question 5: Last not least, assuming I get the software I need downloaded one day (hopefully, before the Apocalypse) - will that software work with Win XP 32 Bit (SP 2)...?!? Or can I stop searching and downloading, because it will not work with Win XP anyway ?!?
"Thanks for choosing Altera". No, never again!
May the next A8 hardware never ever use Altera again, please !!!
Edited by CharlieChaplin, Sun Oct 9, 2016 2:16 PM.