IGNORED

How :) (Turn Rock Runner into an EPROM)

mantadoc

You know what might be a nice thing? A thread titled: MAKING CARTRIDGES... FOR DUMMIES!

I'm sure a lot of us have our own ideas for 'the ultimate cartridge', but don't want to bug anyone. If one of the Gurus would be so benevolent and help us poor uneducated slobs, we could all have some fun. Heck, eventually we might all get good enough to have a "Cartridge War" contest to see who makes the best compilation? Everyone would win.

• Like 3

"MakeCart" was obsoleted a long time ago and integrated into Classic99. Load the debugger, load the files by whatever mechanism they require, breakpoint as early as reasonable, select the "make cartridge" option, and fill in the details appropriate to the system.

Making cartridges out of other programs really isn't a "for dummies" task. Fortunately, none of you are dummies and can easily work out the steps! :)

Making /compilation/ cartridges, unless you are just stitching together 8k ROMs (all of which already exist on carts, AFAIK), requires reverse-engineering and patching, it's not something you can provide a quick tutorial for. ;)

• Like 3

This is a version I made a while back using the tools in Classic99. I have hacked it not to require the E/A module (unlike other versions out there) which is fortunate since it would be difficult to fit both modules into the slot at the same time ;).

P.S. This is an inverted image as indicated by the '3' in the file name.

RockRunner3.bin

• Like 6

I'll tell you, this was from GHOST TOWN (Scott Adams Adventure). It was yet another situation where I did not have the faintest clue what to do now. I remember it was an Indian village, there was the Indian chief, and I think I wondered how to get back. The solution was to say "Howgh" to him. Maybe I found it by trying everything, maybe I found a hint somewhere. Or I already had the Adventure Editor and had a look.

Here is a general recipe for turning a single E/A#5 program into a cartridge image using the tools in Classic99:

1. Find the start address: Open Ti99Dir and look at the first E/A#5 file using F3. The start address is in the 5th and 6th bytes, e.g. >A000.
  2. Open Classic99. Open the debugger. Enter the start address under Breakpoint and click Add. Press Scroll Lock on the keyboard once to enable breakpoints.
  3. Open Editor/Assembler and run the E/A#5 file (it's option 5 :))
  4. When the execution stops (at the breakpoint), go to the Debugger, choose Make and 'Save memory as Program'. If it doesn't stop you probably forgot to press Scroll Lock.
  5. Choose Save Type: 379 bank switched copy. Enter the start address from 1. Choose High RAM: A000 - FFFF and Low RAM: 2000 - 3FFF. If you want the smallest possible image you need to be more specific, but usually it doesn't matter whether you end up with a 16K, 32K or 64K image.
  6. Enter a cartridge name (to appear in the menu) and click Save.

That's how I have made the images for Scramble, Jet Set Willy, Flappy Bird etc. No need to reinvent the wheel when we have such excellent tools. But note that programs that read additional files from disk will continue doing so even after being converted to cartridge format.

• Like 10