IGNORED

Intellivision Flashback Controllers

Draugr

I did a quick search and didn't see any mention of this, so I thought I'd ask.

Has there been any word on whether the Intellivision Flashback controllers will be sold separately as replacements for the Flashback system in case a controller breaks, etc...? I know AtGames has replacement controllers for the Atari 2600 but there doesn't seem to be such for the Intellivision. I'd love to have some spare sets just in case one of my two controllers that came with the Flashback ever decides to stop working or such. If anyone has any info on this please let me know.

Thanks

John

When I got the Intellivision FB I was surprised at the controllers. They are pretty damn good in my opinion and I HATE the Coleovision FB, and the Atari FB controllers (to a lesser degree). I thought when I first got the Intellivision FB that Intellivision Productions would probably make more money if they simply just sold the controllers than the entire FB unit. I mean you have those of us with the original systems and possibly old and dying controllers, those who use emulation and devices like the Ultimate Interface, and of course those who use the FB system. I'd think it would be a no brainer to sell the controllers stand alone, but maybe I'm missing something. Either way, I hope that the controllers do sell separately eventually. Its either that or when the stores start dumping he excess stock we start buying up the complete FB units 4 or 5 at a time for pennies on the dollar. LOL :)

• Like 1

I wonder who made these in units in China, it would be cool if someone would do it with a license. Those might be the most expensive part of making the Flashbacks.

I find it interesting that there's a common perception out there that you can just bypass AtGames and go directly to their manufacturing partner to make clones of their stuff. As far as I know, you can't for a variety of reasons, including that this is all stuff that AtGames develops.

If you want extra controllers, just buy another Flashback. It seems like kind of a waste to have a second flashback console, but they aren't very expensive, and that is the only way to get more controllers.

That's probably the most logical route. You can get these for around $25, which is not outrageous for two controllers (and of course the console and other stuff).

• Like 2

I said "Do it with a license." Not just rip off the owners of IP. That could be AT Games or some other entity.

I find it interesting that there's a common perception out there that you can just bypass AtGames and go directly to their manufacturing partner to make clones of their stuff. As far as I know, you can't for a variety of reasons, including that this is all stuff that AtGames develops.

I said "Do it with a license." Not just rip off the owners of IP. That could be AT Games or some other entity.

I'm sure AtGames would be happy to listen to reasonable offers, along with whatever approval might be needed from Intellivision Productions.

• Like 1

I'm sure AtGames would be happy to listen to reasonable offers, along with whatever approval might be needed from Intellivision Productions.

To me it would be a perfect thing for Intellivision Productions to offer in the Intellivisions Productions store, along with the overlay packs. I suggested it to Keith a few weeks ago. I got the impression that it was either too much hassle or would require too much money up front to acquire them. I also don't understand why Atgames doesn't offer them like they do with the Atari joysticks.

That's probably the most logical route. You can get these for around $25, which is not outrageous for two controllers (and of course the console and other stuff).

Where are you seeing them for $25? In Canada they are $50 or more and I haven't been luck enough to find them on sale (and I've been looking.)

Whenever I'm in California, the stores that still have them like Walmart/ToysRUs etc have them at 40 or higher. The Dollar stores that were carrying don't have them anymore...

• Like 2

Bill Loguidice, on 24 Feb 2016 - 4:23 PM, said:

I guess the fact that AtGames sells replacement Atari 2600 controllers and not Intelivison ones is pretty damning about how poorly the Intelivision Flashbacks sold. :(

I have bought maybe four off eBay for $25 bucks or so with shipping. They are tough to find right now. Shipping charges are HIGH on the less expensive units.

Where are you seeing them for $25? In Canada they are $50 or more and I haven't been luck enough to find them on sale (and I've been looking.)

Whenever I'm in California, the stores that still have them like Walmart/ToysRUs etc have them at 40 or higher. The Dollar stores that were carrying don't have them anymore...

...because in most (all) other industries, including gaming - this_exact_scenario happens all the time! It's all about the money and we're talking about China here. Think they're shining examples of championing or recognizing copyright's and IP's? ;)

As to why Intellivision Productions and/or AtGames aren't readily making them available, (someone mentioned they might be basing this decision on poor sales of the Flashback) is maybe they're underestimating demand of us legacy users? If you're going to go through the rigamarole to have a bunch of overlays made up to fulfill that particular game selection (a debacle that turned out to be) and produce so many complete FB systems, may as well have so many replacement controllers made up while you're at it. Hey wait a tick... in order to legally sell something like this in America as a business entity, aren't you supposed to be able to provide replacement parts and services for x amount of time? Or prove that you can? Thought that was 7-10 years for consumer electronics. Whatever the case may be, it's typically much longer than the warranty period. So either they're already sitting on a bunch of replacement controllers and parts... or they're not. lol

What I'm getting at is, and since these Flashback controllers are as nice as they are (love the side button action especially), be nice to see real plug and play replacements for the original systems. Wired correctly and all... too much to ask? :rolling:

• Like 1

To me it would be a perfect thing for Intellivision Productions to offer in the Intellivisions Productions store, along with the overlay packs. I suggested it to Keith a few weeks ago. I got the impression that it was either too much hassle or would require too much money up front to acquire them. I also don't understand why Atgames doesn't offer them like they do with the Atari joysticks.

Well, it's important to keep in mind that unlike the Atari and Sega controllers AtGames makes, the Intellivision and ColecoVision Flashbak controllers don't work on the original consoles without an adapter (that AtGames doesn't make), so there's no perceived market for selling these as replacement controllers. It's a damned shame that these controllers weren't developed exactly as originally intended (backwards compatible), then there would be more of a reason to produce these separately.

With that in mind, one does have to wonder aloud how much of a market there really would be for replacement controllers, even backwards compatible ones. Would it exceed more than a few thousand controllers at the absolute best case scenario? Maybe not. And as others have stated, it doesn't help the case that both of those new Flashbacks under-performed in terms of sales.

Depending upon how the AtGames Flashback Zone initiative continues to evolve behind the scenes here, there might be something that will come out of that, either in terms of a USB adapter or USB controllers, but there's absolutely nothing concrete at this time.

Another thing AtGames/Intellivision Productions could do is an Inty controller with USB connector.

Right now I am using the Retrolink NES USB controller to play (some) Intellivision games on emulation.

It works great with 4-way games like Christmas Carol, Donkey Kong Arcade, Frogger, Burger Time, Bump n Jump etc.

My 3,5 year old daughters first gaming experience was Christmas Carol with the NES controller... She loves that game!

I am definitely entering the Carol vs. World competition next December... Aiming at 300 something... ;-)

I can also btw play some Inty games with classic DB9 (SunCom SlikStik in my case) Joysticks using the Retro-Bit DB9-to-USB adapter.

To play Intellivision games with an NES controller might sound like an unholy alliance, but especially with DK it is great for me.
My first contact with DK was on the Nintendo Game & Watch so it feels natural with that d-pad and buttons... ;-)

Anyways,

I would love it if they made controllers sold separately, with USB and/or DB9.

As of now I would need to buy both the Flashback and the Retronic DB9-to-USB adapter to be able to play on emulation with Inty controllers as I understand.

i had to buy one cause my 2 first gen (yes there is a newer design made shortly after the systems released.) went bad. There was a system on ebay for $20 with free shipping. I didnt realize my money was already put in my account so later in the day i went back and it was sold so i bought one for $30 with free shipping Edited by pimpmaul69

ATGames Flashback Zone? Can you elaborate or is this under an NDA? Thank you very much.

It's this: https://www.direct2drive.com/#!/promotion/88. AtGames owns Direct2Drive and this is its own element on it. We're working on greatly expanding it to be a real portal for classic gaming. For now it only has the same offerings (Intellivision and ColecoVision) it's had on there for quite some time already.

• Like 1

i had to buy one cause my 2 first gen (yes there is a newer design made shortly after the systems released.) went bad. There was a system on ebay for $20 with free shipping. I didnt realize my money was already put in my account so later in the day i went back and it was sold so i bought one for $30 with free shipping

The Toys R Us Website presently has them for $30 each. I forgot where I saw them for $25, unfortunately.

Perception is reality......or even better...reality is reality.

One small example.

"KO" Transformers. All over ebay and amazon. Knock offs so good that they look like the real thing. Even KO of the 80's TFs. Look on ebay for 'Transformers ko'. You will be shocked.

Here is a small example from amazon. This usually goes for 100ish. Ko is 35.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00W1VA2WW/ref=pd_aw_sim_21_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=51oT-mnBLLL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL100_SR100%2C70_&refRID=0F4S2TEDAFP1HMYCXR10

The perception is anyone can call up China and have them rip a product off? Well maybe anyone with money can. ;-)