IGNORED

A pocket-size Windows laptop

Flojomojo

Looks pretty neat, kind of like a Windows 10 version of the Pandora handheld.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/a-laptop-fitting-in-your-pocket

It's from GPD, who has made a bunch of nice game-centric handhelds already, so I don't get why they're using crowd funding.

I am definitely keeping an eye on this for when it comes out in general release.

TIE Fighter in my pocket with enough controls to play properly, yay!

• Like 1

Continuum is already out for Windows phone. Apple and Android will copy this within the next 2 years.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/mobile/

http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-with-windows-continuum-any-phone-can-be-your-pc/

http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/29/continuum-windows-10-phone/

There is an IoT version of Windows 10 that will run on tons of different devices including Raspberry Pi and Arduino (maybe that's what they did here). Basically, a lot of people could make something like this AND you can already use your phone almost exactly like a PC in a dock.

https://dev.windows.com/en-US/iot

http://techcrunch.com/2015/04/30/how-to-install-windows-10-iot-on-your-raspberry-pi-2/

This is literally exactly what I want. The Pandora was terrible, and I'm glad I returned mine. But this looks to be much better, and from a company I'd better trust. And 200 bucks off? SOLD.

My only question is, what's everyone's experience with indie go go? I know they don't have a prototype, it's pretty obvious as that picture is photoshopped pretty bad. What happens on this site if they just up and said "screw it, we decided not to do the project"? Are you out all your cash? Also, if it fails to be funded, you get your money back, right?

Fingers crossed. I really, really want this.

EDIT: Do you think Rocket League would run on this? Thanks!

Edited by MotoRacer

I've been using an HP Stream 7 for over a year. While it's not a phone, it does run FULL FLEDGED Windows. I use Chrome on mine and use it to get on Atari Age when I'm not at home. I do however recommend getting an extra 32GB micro SD card.

Check this video out for more information...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoPNzx8bcVQ

Nice suggestion, but I really don't like tablets. Lack of physical controls ... bother me. The fact you need a stand like that, and you can't easily hold a controller while using that on a couch just makes tablets (for my purposes) kinda useless.

• Like 1

Looks pretty neat, kind of like a Windows 10 version of the Pandora handheld.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/a-laptop-fitting-in-your-pocket

It's from GPD, who has made a bunch of nice game-centric handhelds already, so I don't get why they're using crowd funding.

I am definitely keeping an eye on this for when it comes out in general release.

TIE Fighter in my pocket with enough controls to play properly, yay!

Thanks for the link! That tiny laptop looks great! I am so going to be watching this closely too as it looks great..

Nice suggestion, but I really don't like tablets. Lack of physical controls ... bother me. The fact you need a stand like that, and you can't easily hold a controller while using that on a couch just makes tablets (for my purposes) kinda useless.

Yeah, different strokes for different folks I guess. For $100.00 bucks I could not pass it up.

gallery_35324_1072_2368894.gif

gallery_35324_1027_190834.jpg

• Like 1

Ok, so I have a question. It says it's a flexible listing, and if you hover your mouse over it says they'll keep all the money even if it doesn't go through.

So my question is this:

If it doesn't go through, do you still get the portable laptop, or are you out 300 bucks? I'm assuming they're making this regardless, so it shouldn't matter, but I'm not entirely sure of that...

Thanks.

I'm not sure...it's too much money for me to put forward blindly since even if funded, it won't come out until the fall. I would just wait and see, because others could beat them to it, with or without gaming controls.

Cheap Windows tablets (and laptops, and 2-in1s) were all over the place in late 2014. You can still get stuff like ASUS T100 right now for less than the price of a New 3DS. I think they'll be back when the new Intel chips are readily available. I liked the WinBook line from MicroCenter, which were super cheap and had ports for USB and HDMI in addition to MicroSD. I assume the next generation will be even better. They came with Windows 8 but upgraded to Windows 10 without much difficulty. You definitely want a touch-ready OS for these little things.

I don't know about Rocket League, but those cheap Windows tablets could run anything well enough up to ~2006 or so. Burnout, Star Wars Battlefront II, Half-Life 2 all ran great. Skyrim ran slowly but playable in 800x600 and low detail.

I would assume they are full of sh!+ and are trying to separate you from your money. As flojo and I are saying, this type of thing is really not that uncommon already. Just wait and keep looking for alternatives while these guys on IndieGoGo get their stuff together. You could also try to find out more about them; contact them directly and see if they will answer your specific questions. If not, I would totally wait and watch.

If you really want a portable emulation box that has built in controls check this out: http://www.gcw-zero.com/

Not windows, but that one is well known and already has support. (There are also other Android based devices very similar).

The GPD XD (same company as this) is a cool Android-based gamebox. It looks like a 3DS but runs everything from Atari to Dreamcast. It's easy to setup and use. If the GPD Win has a similar build quality (it uses the same game controls) it could be great. It's a decent alternative to the bulky Nvidia Shield portable, which is getting harder to find.

I like CGW-Zero but it's less powerful and not as simple to set up.

Neither one has a hardware keyboard or Windows compatibility, though.

I'm also keeping an eye on Windows tablets made by CHUWI. I haven't seen many small Windows things from other, more familiar low-cost manufacturers like ASUS, Acer, or HP lately.

I have a 6.something inch netbook running your choice of winders 7 or xbuntu

it functions but even with its low res screen I find it very small when running a full blown desktop app, of course that result is my opinion, your's may be different, but keep in mind how tiny stuff is going to be on a phone screen while running a desktop OS

I kind of like this idea. My beloved netbook (I'm on my second) is starting to feel its age, and maybe 1.0ghz is a little slow for 2016.

The netbook actually runs many of the old games I want to play, thanks largely to its graphics chipset, but it's starting to struggle with modern things like the latest chrome browser. This might be a nice alternative for 'on the can' computing. Much more CPU power than I'm used to, but probably less GPU.

Edited by Reaperman

I trust the company, but some insurance on them giving you a unit would be nice.

I might just do it. I spent more than this on the disappointing Pandora, and this uses Windows which will be a lot easier to use. Intel HD graphics do suck, yes. But for emulation it should be fine, and before I found the NVidia driver for my thinkpad (windows 10 ditched it for some reason), I was able to run Rocket League and even guilty gear xrd just fine (though, with 16gb of ram, which probably helped the onboard processor graphics some).

If I could get some better idea of what this can do, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I don't play AAA games, so as long as it could do things like emulation and games like Rocket League, I'd be happy.

One other question for you guys. Would you think the RAM would be replaceable? Just looks like DDR3 laptop RAM.

Anywho, for you guys who own tablets and swear by them, I'm glad you like them, but I just love this Pandora-like layout. I don't want an Android or Linux machine, and I don't want a unit with no physical controls. The Shield is a better idea, but it looks cheap and childish, and wouldn't be ideal for on the go for me (especially for bringing to work for lunch breaks).

The RAM on this will be onboard, there won't be any room for a socket. 4GB is plenty of memory for Windows 10 on something this little. I was having plenty of fun with GOG games on 1GB of RAM.

My trick for finding performance info is simple, just look for videos of the game in question, followed by the GPU (in this case embedded Intel HD, I assume)

Not amazing to look at, but certainly playable.

The RAM on this will be onboard, there won't be any room for a socket. 4GB is plenty of memory for Windows 10 on something this little. I was having plenty of fun with GOG games on 1GB of RAM.

My trick for finding performance info is simple, just look for videos of the game in question, followed by the GPU (in this case embedded Intel HD, I assume)

Not amazing to look at, but certainly playable.

That can't be. What version of the Intel HD is this? When I ran the game through Intel HD graphics on my laptop (before I got my driver working on my Nvidia card) it looked like the regular version, full framerate, just didn't show effects on the cars when they had different paintjobs (no metal brushed finish, etc).

Thanks for letting me know about the ram. That's unfortunate. Still, for 299, this looks like it might be fun. Might just wait it out though.

Edited by MotoRacer

Crowdfunding is becomming a pre-order platform. I don#t really understand why would anyone ever pre-order stuff These days. If this is a success they'll make more. I would not pre-order something like this that could be great or be kinda crap. I'll Keep an eye out, ebcause if the execution is good this could actually be great. I have a huge library of very fun games that would Play like a charm on this.

• Like 2