44 replies to this topic

#26 gauauu OFFLINE  

gauauu

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 401 posts

Posted Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:44 PM

I really appreciate your feedback.

I spent some time playing with balance, and did try changing the initial blue slimes to having only 1 hp, and I think it did improve the early game. I agree that the range of the sword combined with the offset from the player's body makes combat a bit trickier than you'd expect. Stronger enemies early on make it just feel annoying.  I think as the player gets used to the mechanics of the sword, and gets some arrows to help with long-distance fighting, that I can make the enemies more challenging. But for now, I agree that they need to be more fun and rewarding to fight in the first few rooms.   

I'm going to try leaving the blue slimes at 1 hp, but the other enemies (yellow slimes, green toady guy, boss dragon, overworld enemies, etc) at the higher HP levels.  With the slight bounceback effect that I plan to add (but haven't gotten to yet), that may help.

I'm trying to get things cleaned up to release a first-half-of-the-game demo for people to try, hopefully that will be ready soon, including these changes from what you suggested. 

Edited by gauauu, Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:00 AM.

#27 gliptitude OFFLINE  

gliptitude

Moonsweeper

• 326 posts

Posted Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:54 PM

Cool. I love giving feedback on these projects, (when it is welcome). I just don't have any programming knowledge to share. I look forward to seeing your game evolve.

I really like the sprite for the green enemy figure. The way he looks and also the way he behaves has a lot of character, one of my favorite touches in the game so far.

Edited by gliptitude, Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:56 PM.

#28 gauauu OFFLINE  

gauauu

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 401 posts

Posted Tue May 3, 2016 9:33 PM

Per Thomas's advice, I posted a thread in the 2600 general forum, including the latest version of the game and an updated video. (mentioning it here for anyone following this thread)

#29 gauauu OFFLINE  

gauauu

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 401 posts

Posted Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:17 PM

Just FYI, I posted a new build on the other thread, which is the completed game, just needing some more testing before I call it finished.  If you try it, let me know!

#30 bradhig1 OFFLINE  

bradhig1

Dragonstomper

• 807 posts

Posted Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:56 PM

I ran into a glitch in the castle you reach by crossing the water.   When I got killed by a bad guy after throwing some switches I reappeared in a wall near the beginning of the maze and had to use an earlier password to get around it.  Don't know if it was because I was playing on my Atari 7800 or not.

#31 gauauu OFFLINE  

gauauu

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 401 posts

Posted Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:55 AM

Interesting. So where you respawned was stuck in a wall, but still in that same dungeon?  I'll look at it.

#32 bradhig1 OFFLINE  

bradhig1

Dragonstomper

• 807 posts

Posted Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:59 AM

Interesting. So where you respawned was stuck in a wall, but still in that same dungeon?  I'll look at it.

Yes it was the same dungeon.    I will try again later on my heavy sixer.

#33 bradhig1 OFFLINE  

bradhig1

Dragonstomper

• 807 posts

Posted Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:29 PM

Played it today on my heavy sixer and still the same problem.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5860.JPG

#34 gauauu OFFLINE  

gauauu

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 401 posts

Posted Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:13 PM

Thanks for the screenshot. Are you playing on the cartridge release or a different version? Can you also send a screenshot of the password screen?

Thanks so much for your help

#35 bradhig1 OFFLINE  

bradhig1

Dragonstomper

• 807 posts

Posted Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:57 PM

cartridge release.   Here is the password from my atarivox.   when I turn the console off and on again the glitch doesn't happen.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5862.JPG

#36 gauauu OFFLINE  

gauauu

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 401 posts

Posted Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:42 PM

Thanks. That should be enough info that I can fix it for the future.  (And sounds like you discovered the workaround I was about to suggest -- power cycling)

#37 gauauu OFFLINE  

gauauu

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 401 posts

Posted Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:29 PM

Ah, yup, found the problem. I've only got 6 respawn rooms, but my index to check them checks 8 -- which means it's checking garbage data, and lets you respawn in that room where you aren't supposed to respawn. I've got a tentative fix (attached) although it's a bit too late for the initial cart release.

That said, to help with the possibility that anybody might be stuck, I think I'll set up an online password generator -- where you can plug in a password, and it will give you a new password that grants you the same progress/equipment, but reset to a neutral respawn location.

Attached Files

#38 bradhig1 OFFLINE  

bradhig1

Dragonstomper

• 807 posts

Posted Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:38 PM

Guess I will need a new cartridge.

#39 MrBeefy OFFLINE  

MrBeefy

Stargunner

• 1,164 posts

Posted Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:16 PM

Will the store one have the bug fix rom?

#40 gauauu OFFLINE  

gauauu

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 401 posts

Posted Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:23 PM

I've been working with Al to get the bug fix included.  I think new carts will have it, but we can double-check with him first.

#41 MrBeefy OFFLINE  

MrBeefy

Stargunner

• 1,164 posts

Posted Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:32 PM

I've been working with Al to get the bug fix included.  I think new carts will have it, but we can double-check with him first.

Cool. This one was on my next to get list. Want to try the GBA version too.

#42 Stratos OFFLINE  

Stratos

Combat Commando

• 4 posts

Posted Tue Jan 2, 2018 12:27 AM

I'm loving this game. Wondering If the manual is available in pdf format?

#43 gauauu OFFLINE  

gauauu

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 401 posts

Posted Tue Jan 2, 2018 10:01 AM

I'm loving this game. Wondering If the manual is available in pdf format?

You can download a copy from my website although it's not the final version of the manual that's included with the physical cart (it's missing a little bit of art, and has a few typos)

#44 Stratos OFFLINE  

Stratos

Combat Commando

• 4 posts

Posted Tue Jan 2, 2018 12:36 PM

Downoaded! Thanks a lot mate!

#45 eegad OFFLINE  

eegad

Moonsweeper

• 366 posts

Posted Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:22 AM

Truly excellent game!   If only games like this were being released for the 2600 back in the mid-80's, I wouldn't have "retired" my 2600 so soon.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: homebrew, assembly, wip

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users