IGNORED

Tutorial: NES controller MOD to work on Sega Master System

(I was asked to help make this MOD for a fellow Atariage member, so I figured I would post for all to see)

Tools Needed:
Soldering Iron and Solder
Wire Strippers
Multimeter
1 NES controller
1 Sega/Atari compatible 9 pin (DB-9) joystick cable

1: Disassemble NES controller by removing all 6 screws.

image.jpg

image.jpg

2: Desolder and remove original cable and controller chip. The controller chip can be a pain, so I
used small pointy wire cutters to cut the base of each leg, then I was able to remove the little legs
from the board easier. Be careful not to accidentally rip the solder pad off the front, just take your
time.

image.jpg

3: Strip each wire on the new 9 pin controller wire.

image.jpg

image.jpg

4: Using a multimeter, verify continuity of each wire, and write down which color goes to which pin. I
used a paper clip to stick into each hole of the controller cable.

image.jpg

5: Solder the wires that correctly correspond to each button. For Sega Master System, 7 wires are used
and 2 are not. They will be:

Up
Down
Left
Right
Button 1
Button 2
Ground

Note the images in step 2 and 4, I've designated which wire will go to which part on the controller. Your wire colors may be different.

In my case, the red and yellow wires were not used.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

6: Next I wrap the new cable into the NES controller and make sure the controller will go back together
okay and test it. After I verify it works, Then I apply hot glue to make sure the wires will stay in
place.

image.jpg

7: Assemble the controller and makes sure all of the buttons work. You are done!

• Like 1

mvLplCd.gif

Would be a bit quicker to refer to a picture of the NES' chip pinout and the functions. As long as one observes which way the notch on the chip was facing, they can follow the pins to the 6 button functions plus ground to connect with SMS controller. Atari 2600 can also use the same controller.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but this is seriously useful.

I really want to try this, but the images seem to be broken, is it possible get them posted up again? It would help a lot!

BIGGER PICTURES:

(I was asked to help make this MOD for a fellow Atariage member, so I figured I would post for all to see)

Tools Needed:

Soldering Iron and Solder

Wire Strippers

Multimeter

1 NES controller

1 Sega/Atari compatible 9 pin (DB-9) joystick cable

1: Disassemble NES controller by removing all 6 screws.

image.jpg

image.jpg

2: Desolder and remove original cable and controller chip. The controller chip can be a pain, so I

used small pointy wire cutters to cut the base of each leg, then I was able to remove the little legs

from the board easier. Be careful not to accidentally rip the solder pad off the front, just take your

time.

image.jpg

3: Strip each wire on the new 9 pin controller wire.

image.jpg

image.jpg

4: Using a multimeter, verify continuity of each wire, and write down which color goes to which pin. I

used a paper clip to stick into each hole of the controller cable.

image.jpg

5: Solder the wires that correctly correspond to each button. For Sega Master System, 7 wires are used

and 2 are not. They will be:

Up

Down

Left

Right

Button 1

Button 2

Ground

Note the images in step 2 and 4, I've designated which wire will go to which part on the controller. Your wire colors may be different.

In my case, the red and yellow wires were not used.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

6: Next I wrap the new cable into the NES controller and make sure the controller will go back together

okay and test it. After I verify it works, Then I apply hot glue to make sure the wires will stay in

place.

image.jpg

7: Assemble the controller and makes sure all of the buttons work. You are done!

Edited by Jeremy Popp