IGNORED

Arturia Minibrute

It can only generate one note at a time, so if you try playing a chord with 2 or more fingers at once only 1 note will sound. With an old fashioned piano you can put your whole arm on the keyboard and play 20 notes at once - polyphonic.

Modern MIDI instruments are usually polyphonic, they can play many notes and even many instruments at the same time, so Cubase can make it sound like a whole band is playing.

Well the Arturia MiniBrute is a full anologe monosynth designed to make nice squelchy bass sounds, like the infamous Roland TB-303, although it is not a clone of the TB-303. It was Arturia's first move into making hardware, typically they were a music software company. It's beauty is it is full analogie, you tweek the knobs to tune and fiddle with sound, no preset sounds as a result. It has a developed Steiner Parker filter which sounds nice, and something called the Brute Factor which 'brutalizes' the sound to give it more weight. It has MIDI so you can hook it up to your Atari like all MIDI instruments, and record events you play via your sequencer of choice, then play back the events on your Atari's sequencer. As it has a keyboard, if you turn the volume down, you can use it as a contoller keyboard for triggering other sounds from other racked instruments if you so wish. My opinion is that it is this machine that has spawned a resurgence of monosynths in recent years, in it's own MicroBrute (you may also want to consider), Moog Minitaur (althoug modular in design), offers from Roland and Korg etc...

See this article:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar12/articles/arturia-minibrute.htm

Edited by Atari74user

Oh, also this can receive and transmit SysEx (System Exclusive Messages) over MIDI. SysEx is typically used for changing and updating parameters of your device (synth for example). A common use is to save the parameters (not saving the actual sound) of your sounds (patches) to a Patch Editor / Librarian on your Atari for example, and maintain a log of them to retrieve and use at will to your synth. This way your sounds are not lost.

I haven't got that far with using the MiniBrute's SysEx and my Atari to date.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Edited by Atari74user

Oh, also this can receive and transmit SysEx (System Exclusive Messages) over MIDI. SysEx is typically used for changing and updating parameters of your device (synth for example). A common use is to save the parameters (not saving the actual sound) of your sounds (patches) to a Patch Editor / Librarian on your Atari for example, and maintain a log of them to retrieve and use at will to your synth. This way your sounds are not lost.

How would that work with the MiniBrute? I thought the knobs/sliders were connected to passive components (e.g. potentiometers) that were part of the analog signal generation circuitry. If that's true there would be no way to save nor restore their values via MIDI - you have to physically turn the knobs to the position you want. MIDI SysEx could maybe be used to control the arpeggiator etc. if that's a digital component.

Looking around a bit people tend to save their patches by either taking a photo http://imgur.com/gpe6y3xor by recording the positions of the knobs/sliders somehow: http://bradyjacobsen.com/microbrute/

Ahah indeed you are right, SysEx is not covered in the manual, this I know. In terms of the MiniBrute, patch editing is not viable, SysEx is limited. It appears the Arpeggiator you can mess with via SysEx. However as this is undocumented, it is deemed a 'hack'. Apparently you can change the Arpeggiator into the Sequencer of the SE model for example. So it can receive SysEx but limited to updates and 'hacks'.

I agree, if a first synthesizer, you may want to explore a polyphonic synth to give more of an array of sounds, as the MiniBrute, as beautiful as it is, is a synth for the sole purpose of creating analogue bass sounds. More of a beautiful addition, as opposed to a main synthesizer.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Edited by Atari74user
  • Like 1

Korg M1 is a good choice, as well as the DX7 as you say, both a fine choices and classic synths, along with the Yamaha SY77, SY99 and SY85 (although different in architecture to the other SYs) with it's AWM, but beautiful nonetheless. Even the Roland XP series. The MiniBrute is great, but has a sepcific purpose, the others mentioned are of the period of the Atari ST etc... so although not obligatory to have something of the period, work well with the Atari. However anything with MIDI should integrate well, it's only that you get specific editors for say an SY77 or SY99 etc...available on the Atari. So it is nice to have something of the period to allow that ease of integration, only my opinion. As Galax has alluded, such synths have more sounds (voices) to give you a good basis to start with. I don't think you would go far wrong with any of these.

Take a look at: http://www.vintagesynth.com/

I like the idea of the Reface, this skipped me by. It has MIDI (DIN) so will connect to your Atari, interesting.

Edited by Atari74user
  • Like 1

The question is how digital or analogue the preferred sound should be and how deep a user wants to get into programming sounds. Problem with the old synths from the 80s, from my experience, is that You need to have a good technician at hand in case of repairs and possible failures. Btw. some spare parts are hard to find these days. From the range of 80s polyphonic synths I prefer the Roland JX-3P (with Organix MIDI Upgrade), the Kawai/Teisco SX-240 and the Akai AX-80. From the range of 90s synths my absolute favourite is the Korg Z1. Here in Germany the Z1s are still pretty cheap (if You find one), around 400 - 700 EUR, depending on condition and configuration. It's a great allrounder but it's not easy to program sounds on it, therefore not really a beginners synthesizer. A 'pseudo-retro-synth' from the 90s is the Roland JP-8000, which offers more direct control of the parameters. Another 'new' retro synth I would really recommend is the reissue of the Arp Odyssey by Korg, which is duophonic. Great synth for genres like Wave and Indutrial.

Edited by MrPastGlory

It depends what you want to do with it.

If you want the synth to send MIDI messages to other instruments or the ST then it needs MIDI out.

If you want the synth to receive MIDI messages from other instruments or the ST then it needs MIDI in.

• 5 weeks later...