32 replies to this topic

#26 atari2600land OFFLINE  

atari2600land

Waffles:

• Topic Starter
  • 10,966 posts
  • Man's best invention. Ever.

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:14 AM

The timer now works. At first I wanted it to count from 99 to 0, but I couldn't do it, so instead, I had it count from 00 to 99. And that's what it will do. I had some troubles because the timer kept stopping at 80, but I finally got the timer and game to stop at 99.

#27 atari2600land OFFLINE  

atari2600land

Waffles:

• Topic Starter
  • 10,966 posts

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:41 AM

kevinvstomatoeslogo.png

What do you think?

#28 atari2600land OFFLINE  

atari2600land

Waffles:

• Topic Starter
  • 10,966 posts

Posted Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:44 AM

The game now plays more like you'd expect a snake-eating-fruit game than ever. Please check the Kevin Vs. Tomatoes website download the game and give me feedback on it. My highest score is 18. What's yours?

#29 atari2600land OFFLINE  

atari2600land

Waffles:

• Topic Starter
  • 10,966 posts

Posted Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:31 AM

A short YouTube video of the game in action:

#30 fdr4prez ONLINE  

fdr4prez

Stargunner

• 1,490 posts

Posted Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:02 PM

An interesting concept.

You must eat all the fruit! No waste ;)

Is a two player game possible, where the player getting the entire fruit in a single bite, or the player getting the last bit of fruit gets the point?

Is a game like Intellivision's SNAFU possible?

#31 atari2600land OFFLINE  

atari2600land

Waffles:

• Topic Starter
  • 10,966 posts

Posted Yesterday, 3:00 AM

Is a two player game possible, where the player getting the entire fruit in a single bite, or the player getting the last bit of fruit gets the point?

Is a game like Intellivision's SNAFU possible?

It might be possible for a two-player game. I don't know how many sprites the Channel F can have on the screen at once, so I went this route.

Maybe, although I don't know how the collision detection would work on it.

#32 Kurt_Woloch OFFLINE  

Kurt_Woloch

Stargunner

• 1,242 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:30 PM

OK, just to clear things up... actually I don't understand how you were even able to code this up without knowing much about the technical data of the Channel F.

Sprites??? Sadly, there are no "sprites" per se on the Channel F, only bitmap graphics. And the graphics memory is write-only, so you can't read it in order to determine if the snake has hit something. There's also no collision detection in hardware, which means the processor can't see what's actually in graphics memory at all, not even through small windows. As for colors, each scanline can have one of 4 possible 4-color (or 2-color) palletes, one of which is black and white and the other red/blue/green on grey, light blue or light green (if I remember right). Inside of that scanline, the dots can be freely set, that means you can have red, blue and green adjacent to each other.

#33 atari2600land OFFLINE  

atari2600land

Waffles:

• Topic Starter
  • 10,966 posts

Posted Yesterday, 1:05 PM

When I said "collision detection," I meant how I would code it. I know there's no such thing for collision detection. I didn't know about the sprite/bitmap graphic thing. I am having quite a problem subtracting 4-bit numbers, since there doesn't seem to be an opcode for it, only for addition. I can make the beginning timer be 99, but I can't figure out how to subtract 1 from it. I can add 1 to it, but just can't subtract 1.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users