IGNORED

Atari A8 Donkey Kong Hack

Please see video of barrels bouncing off the double ladders in 7.4 on real hardware. All the other versions are fine.

attachicon.gifbarrelbounce.mp4

LMBO!!!! I will probably not get to it tonight, but I will check that out on real hardware. What model Atari do you have? Do you have any hardware modifications? That's only on the RMT? Finally, does that do it if you reload it?

LMBO!!!! I will probably not get to it tonight, but I will check that out on real hardware. What model Atari do you have? Do you have any hardware modifications? That's only on the RMT? Finally, does that do it if you reload it?

This is original 800 with Incognito. DK loading from Ultimate SD cart. I have only downloaded the RMT ones. The original DK runs fine from the cart. I have misplaced my CF card reader, so I can't try loading it from the SIDE Loader. 7.4 does that every time I load it. The original DK works fine every time I load it from the SD cart. I have DK7.2RMT on the CF card, and it works every time.

I hope that all makes sense.

Edit: I just downloaded 7.4 non-RMT with my phone and sent it to Ultimate cart. It works fine, so it must only be the RMT versions that have the barrel problem.

Edited by Kyle22

Version 7.4

Updates:

1. I switched Mario back to the colors from 7.2, and I tweaked the brightness of some of the colors.
  2. Retains graphic tweaks -- New Ramp Girders and other minor tweaks.
  3. 5200 Alternate is an option, as my 5200 seems to display similar to the PAL palette, even though all are NTSC. When hacking DK Jr, Playsoft notices his 5200 colors varied too.

I made the 5200 alternate, as I have only tested these versions on Altirra, version 2.71.

attachicon.gifRamp7.4.PNG attachicon.gifConveryor7.4.PNG

attachicon.gifElevator7.4.PNG attachicon.gifRivet7.4.PNG

attachicon.gifDKArcade_XL_v7.4.xex

attachicon.gifDKArcade_RMT_v7.4.xex

attachicon.gifDKArcade_5200_v7.4.bin

attachicon.gifDkArcade_5200_v7.4alt.bin

I gotta say I really love whats been done to this game! It is sooooo much more enjoyable to play! Kudos and Thank you!

• Like 2

Fantastic work but.......will there also be a version with all the graphics enhanced, original sound and NO changes to the game mechanics like collision detection.....so....basically a graphics update only ?

Wrong or right, I love the original A8 game mechanics but would love to have a version with the enhanced graphics.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

I just got my new old Atari 800 (original, NTSC) with its very good, unmodified S-Video out. I use it with a very good Loewe CRT-TV. All the colors in 7.4 look good, but Mario still has weak contrasts. The blue is not really blue. Would be great if he could have his original primary colors. I'd say to everybody: If your colors bleed out, buy a better CRT-TV for 10 bucks! And use S-Video!

Thanks again for doing that great hack! I have lotsa fun here. :)

• 4 months later...

I see you are loading it from the Ultimate SD cart so I tried a couple of tests.

From RespeQT it runs ok.

From a MaxFlash workbook and flashed to a cart it runs ok.

On the Ultimate SD cart you get your rebounding barrels.

I then tried the original RMT version (i.e. without any of our changes) and that gave exactly the same results.

Edited to add:

If you add it to a MaxFlash workbook, export it to a .bin and turn it into a .car, that will run ok from the Ultimate SD cart.

I have done that for you in the attached.

dkrmt.zip

• Like 2

And here is a xex file which will work with the Ultimate SD cart.

What it comes down to is the BOOT? flag, the xex loader and some sneaky copy protection.

The original cart uses BOOT? in a number places as a copy protection mechanism. It expects BOOT? to have a value of 1, any other value will result in problems (like rebounding off the ladders).

When the xex file is loaded from the MaxFlash cart, BOOT? contains a value of 1. You can see the MaxFlash loader set it.

When the xex file is loaded from the Ultimate SD cart, BOOT? contains a value of 3. I guess in most cases this won't cause a problem.

All I have done in the attached xex is to add a new segment that sets the BOOT? location to $01, just before the run segment.

The non-RMT version runs correctly from the Ultimate SD cart because it had all the BOOT? accesses replaced.

DKRMT74_$09.xex

• Like 3

I don't know about this exactly, but I have seen the real time clock being checked before.

I originally thought this must be copy protection from the original cart, but I just downloaded the image from atarimania and it does not access BOOT? In fact when the cart is running I think BOOT? would be 0 anyway.

So now I wonder if this was something put into the RMT version?

I cracked the ROM years ago when kjmann originally started selling the non-RMT version of "Donkey Kong Arcade". I don't recall the details but I remember
it would over write the code in ROM, which wouldn't do anything if really running out of ROM but altered the program if running out of RAM. I think the code
that reads BOOT? only exists after the code modifies itself. There might be other bugs hidden in the modified code. The correct
way to crack it is to prevent the modification from happening in the first place.

edit: Ok, I looked at the rmt version and the original ROM, and it looks like the copy protection stuff was edited out. The odd thing is that the code at $9852 at the RMT version is:

LDA $09

which load the value in BOOT?. But the original ROM has this code at that location:

LDA #$01

It loads the accumulator with #$01 in immediate mode. I'm not sure why this change was made, but it does seem to be the cause of the barrel bug.

• Like 3

And here is a xex file which will work with the Ultimate SD cart.

What it comes down to is the BOOT? flag, the xex loader and some sneaky copy protection.

The original cart uses BOOT? in a number places as a copy protection mechanism. It expects BOOT? to have a value of 1, any other value will result in problems (like rebounding off the ladders).

When the xex file is loaded from the MaxFlash cart, BOOT? contains a value of 1. You can see the MaxFlash loader set it.

When the xex file is loaded from the Ultimate SD cart, BOOT? contains a value of 3. I guess in most cases this won't cause a problem.

All I have done in the attached xex is to add a new segment that sets the BOOT? location to $01, just before the run segment.

The non-RMT version runs correctly from the Ultimate SD cart because it had all the BOOT? accesses replaced.

Thank you so much. It works great.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think the graphics and game play of the Ocean version are very good for the era and hardware. But the sound drives me nuts. The music could have been dead on with the SID chip but they did a poor job of recreating it. It makes me think the music and sound effects were an afterthought.

Glad I wasn't the only one - the sound on that version was pretty bad.

• Like 1

Glad I wasn't the only one - the sound on that version was pretty bad.

I personally think the SID chip is weak for games. I think the Ocean sound effects were better than the Atari version in some ways. I think SID's envelope parameters hinder it's ability to make a hard hitting,fast attack sound.

I am NOT saying it CAN'T be done. I was very impressed with the sound effects and music in the C-64 Donkey Kong Jr. If that would have been based on the arcade version, instead of the NES version, it would have been even more spectacular.

Regardless it's great. I am just saying that it seems to be the norm to have weak C-64 game sound effects. Music is great, but sound effects (foot stomps, explosions, chest pounds, quick score sounds, seem to always be below standard).

I always thought it would be great to see somebody port the Ocean version to the A8. The C-64 Ocean port is almost identical to the Amstrad version, even sound!

I always thought it would be great to see somebody port the Ocean version to the A8. The C-64 Ocean port is almost identical to the Amstrad version, even sound!

Ah, you might not know there is actually a 3rd conversion now? I haven't tried it or seen any video of it yet, only a screnshot, but word is that this is the real thing. (It is named "Donkey Kong Arcade" IIRC.)

• Like 1

Ah, you might not know there is actually a 3rd conversion now? I haven't tried it or seen any video of it yet, only a screnshot, but word is that this is the real thing. (It is named "Donkey Kong Arcade" IIRC.)

That would be great! I'd LOVE to see it.

** If it's KJmann's Donkey Kong "Arcade", then it is actually a hack that precedes this one. In fact, that is the sound used in the enhanced version.

Edited by darryl1970