IGNORED

Atari A8 Donkey Kong Hack

• 1 year later...

This just got some press over at Indie Retro News!

http://www.indieretronews.com/2018/12/donkey-kong-atari-8-bit-arcade-hack-has.html

Also, I made a quick side-by-side comparison video:

This is a pretty cool comparison. Is there a version of the video that includes the Pie Factory?

I have read articles where people wrongly leave the Atari out as a version that has the pie factory.

It's one more reason that it was a top version in the day.

post-13491-0-99885500-1499042152.png

• Like 5

Sorry--it's because I wasn't good enough to get there :lol:

I understand. It's a challenging game. Nice to see them side by side anyway!

I always felt that it was a feather in Atari's cap for including all 4 levels. Even their Vic 20 version had all 4. Since ColecoVision was the popular game system for DK, many didn't even know it was an option. Nintendo left the conveyors off of their NES version. That was really pathetic. Even the 4-screen version they released for the Wii years later was extremely flawed.

I think Landon said he didn't even really care for DK much, but he really captured a lot of the feel.

• 11 months later...

I just played it again on an Atari 400 NTSC with a perfect Sony 8" PVM. Very very good gameplay and graphics! So much better than the 1983 version. The only thing I miss is the attract mode. Wouldn't it be great if you could run this game all day long? Just to know it's there? Just like the Arcade game? Naturally you should also remove the stupid color switching screen saver that comes after just a minute.