IGNORED

First pin!

racerx

I've been collecting arcade games for a few years now, but I finally picked up my first pinball machine! I know the Ataris get a bad rap for slow play and general maintenance woes, but I've always had a soft spot for them. I think this will clean up really nice...the back glass and playfield are almost mint.

DSC_8775_zpsgpg2iot6.jpg

DSC_8778_zpsqfzrmo6z.jpg

DSC_8779%20-%20Copy_zpsfhwsq0tb.jpg

DSC_8780_zpsxptnmnnd.jpg

DSC_8782_zps6vjehgel.jpg

• Like 2

Love these machines myself and Atari pins are almost always in great shape! No stupid #44's in the backboard to ruin the backglass for starters. Regular house light bulbs for these machines, but people really should just be using #47's in the head and under the PF's of every game from here on out, so you don't burn up/yelllow your inserts. ;)

Playfield's typically in great shape because the game sits unused/broken most of the time. :lol:

Very few people know and/or are willing to work on them and that's always been the case, even when new. Still have John's Jukes up in Canada when you need board repair/parts:

https://www.flippers.com

• Like 1

Nice! Middle Earth was my first pinball machine as well. I like the Atari machines, too - I think a lot of my attraction to them is that not many people knew that Atari was ever in the pinball machine business, so they tend to grab some attention! I got my machine about 7 years ago and have been pleased with it, although it can be BRUTAL. I had a LOT of low-scoring games early on, but it was interesting enough to keep me coming back.

At this point, I have all of the released Atari pinball machines (including Hercules x 2) and have been building up a small stash of spare parts since some of them are pretty uncommon. I seem to come across Middle Earth parts the most frequently, so it's not a bad choice at all. Any plans for hunting down any more of them? :)

• Like 1

Any plans for hunting down any more of them? :)

Probably not. I'm budget and space limited, and I've already got five too many cabinets to fit in the basement arcade. :)

I did look at an Airborne Avenger a year or two ago, but the guy wouldn't come down on price and let's face it...the Atari pins don't command high prices. I wouldn't mind a Superman, but if I pick up another pin it'll probably be something like a Firepower or a cheap Gottlieb System 80 like Hollywood Heat.

Another middle earth owner! This is my fav atari widebody pinball machine. Best thing to do for it is swap all the bulbs with LEDs. If you find the game too slow they also make these coated balls that are very fast. Awesome to see you got this under appreciated game!

w2heo4.jpg

• Like 1

I've played a couple Atari pins but honestly haven't been impressed. Middle Earth looks like it has a really nice playfield layout though, I'm sure I'd really enjoy it if I had a chance to play it. Congrats on the score! Pinball machines are awesome to have.

I've played a couple Atari pins but honestly haven't been impressed. Middle Earth looks like it has a really nice playfield layout though, I'm sure I'd really enjoy it if I had a chance to play it. Congrats on the score! Pinball machines are awesome to have.

Obviously none of the Ataris are going to play like a new Stern, but with the split playfield and the extra set of flippers, Middle Earth tends to play a little faster than the others.

Obviously none of the Ataris are going to play like a new Stern, but with the split playfield and the extra set of flippers, Middle Earth tends to play a little faster than the others.

Well yeah, I don't expect them to. It would be nice though if they played even remotely as well as most of the Bally and Gottlieb releases of the time. :P

I suppose Middle Earth has more of a layout that fits what was good at the time. Definitely looks like it will play faster like you said. Hopefully I'll run into one day and be able to give it some plays. :)

If you want an older game like i.e. middle earth, to play fast use globalls. The only drawback is you will find yourself cleaning them alot, but what a difference in gameplay though.

I may pick a couple up at MGC just to try out, although honestly I'm okay with the way it's playing now. Probably the only faster Atari would be Superman.

What do you think would look best? Green?

Also, regarding LEDs, there are only so many incandescents that can be replaced without the lighting getting wonky, with the ghosting Atari did with the lamps. I've got it limited to the greens in the thumpers, the coin door, and the "credit" light. I may eventually do the GI but anything flashing doesn't work well.

Edited by racerx

For old games like these, I generally just replace the GI (unless there are aftermarket boards that help the flickering, like the Alltek lamp driver replacements on Bally machines). To keep it true to the original look and feel (but a little bit brighter), use clear-domed incandescent-style (warm) LEDs. Maybe frosted if the plastics look to 'white' or if a bulb is blinding the eyes.

Globalls are cool. They get beat up faster than standard balls or ceramic balls though so durability is an issue. Although, if you have a single ball game, they come in packs of four, so plenty to last a long time.

I put a power ball (ceramic ball) in my Bally Eight Ball and it's definitely fun to play that way. The ball obviously moves faster, but it's also easier to catch it when you get used to the movement. It's a nice change of pace.

• 9 months later...

I have almost bought Atari pins a few times, but always get shooed away from them due to issues they tend to develop.

They definitely aren't for the faint of heart. It's as if they were designed with the express intent of being unreliable, and parts can be scarce. On top of all that, their slow play doesn't appeal to many.

Still, the art, the history, and their scarcity endear them to me. I can definitely see adding a Time 2000 if I manage to stumble across one.

• 2 months later...

Awesome! I just got my first pin last week, actually. Not an Atari. It is a Bally (after they had merged with Midway): Party Animal! It doesn't have the highest reviews on Pinside or the IPDB, but I am really loving it so far. Plus, the theme is really good for my kids...and its an 80s dance party! :)