IGNORED

Some interesting things are afoot with TIMXT and the BBS's.

Omega-TI

This high speed version requires the F18A to display the color attributes. If all goes well I'll release an updated version this weekend with working file transfers.

At a later date I'll explain and share details concerning the RS232 code. It does not rely upon the F18A or its GPU, nor does it require a special cable.

It -does- rely upon interrupts and is capable of 38.4Kbps sustained character reception.

• Like 6

I wonder if it works with a 9938/9958?

A somewhat complicated question to answer.

1. The RS232 code is device independent.

2. I have tested TIMXT in monochrome on a Geneve at 38.4K, which uses a V9938. It works.

3. The V9938/58 does not have a color text mode; on the Geneve, it is achieved by plotting each character. This is a slow operation and requires hardware handshaking to survive anything beyond 2400bps. Someday I may try to port the Geneve XOP routines (5000 bytes or so) to the TI, but it is low on my priority list.

4. I do intend to support the V9938, if possible.

Now for the caveat. As you know from recent MENU testing, the AVPC is a little different. It has its own DSR and does some things with interrupts that may conflict with the routines I am using. I need to dig more deeply into that scenario and will test when I have a working system up and running.

• Like 1

While testing I was reminded that a 38.4Kbps connection rate does not always equal a 38.4Kbps transfer rate.

File transfers are now functional. I have transferred files from my PC to the TI, using the UDS on the local network, with speeds hovering around 25Kbps. (Packet handshaking and saving to disk reduce the overall effective speed from 38.4K)

• Like 4

While testing I was reminded that a 38.4Kbps connection rate does not always equal a 38.4Kbps transfer rate.

File transfers are now functional. I have transferred files from my PC to the TI, using the UDS on the local network, with speeds hovering around 25Kbps. (Packet handshaking and saving to disk reduce the overall effective speed from 38.4K)

Well considering how small the average TI download is, it'll take longer to type in what you want than download it! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Super awesome! ...where can I get a copy? :)

Defaulted to RS232/1 (1300) and 19.2. File transfers still need some timeout functionality so be cautious.

Do not activate the log buffer. ;)

If you try it, share some feedback here or via PM please.

F18A only at this time. I will work on activating the V9938 code later.

TIFILES format: TIMXT.zip

• Like 2

Defaulted to RS232/1 (1300) and 19.2. File transfers still need some timeout functionality so be cautious.

Do not activate the log buffer. ;)

If you try it, share some feedback here or via PM please.

F18A only at this time. I will work on activating the V9938 code later.

TIFILES format: attachicon.gifTIMXT.zip

Thank you!!!!

With the legacy code being 25+ years old, it is quite a challenge to make adjustments without breaking things. :skull: There is also more than enough spaghetti code here to satisfy pasta lovers world-wide.

I did find a few things to optimize and they cleared up (for now) the sporadic character loss I was seeing at 38.4. ANSI detection doesn't work with this older emulation code, so logging into thekeep.net results in plain black and white text mode. I really need to transplant PORTs terminal emulation routines into this program, space willing.

No room for ANSI music though. Sorry Schmitzi. :music: :music: :music:

• Like 3

Yes, it IS great. Did you ever think in your wildest dreams you would ever call a BBS with the TI at 38,400?

Hell NO. i already took a screenshot pic and sent it to one of my buddies in Nebraska. Hell, he still has his 300 Signalman baud modem (I think I may still have mine in a box somewhere too). Told him the TI is now 128 times faster at modem speeds than what we started with.

I remember around 1984 Barry Boone came out with a hacked version of Fast Term that would transfer a sector by sector disk over the modem. Barry was able to push the baud rate to a max of 450bps and we thought we were at blazing speed. It took hours to transfer 90k but we were happy! The bad thing is he lived less than 1.25 miles from me and it would have been quicker to walk over there with the disk, copy it and walk back and still have time to spare..

• Like 4

ZIP file contains three files in TIFILES format. Remove the extension if desired.

Changes in this release.

• Default baud rate is now 38.4Kbps on RS232/1.
  • Improved interrupt performance. No longer sporadic character loss.
  • RS232 buffer is limited to 4K. I will expand this to 6K or allow 8K supercart later.
  • Color interpreter fixed; no more sporadic green background (forgot to clear a register!)
  • Improved keyboard capture routine. Typing the same character (quickly) in succession may result in a dropped character; the high terminal speed and debounce requirements make this difficult to get 'perfect'.
  • Startup screen and menu changes
  • Added "CTRL-SHIFT" to immediately suspend display. While held, the interpreter will still buffer incoming data until it reaches capacity. This is -not- a xon/xoff key; this is local display only. I may add uni-directional handshaking or software xon/xoff to this routine at a later date.
  • File transfer timeout routine updated to reflect lack of interrupt timer.
  • Configuration and Macro data consolidated to provide for a save/load option in the future.

Edit: I have the program hooks in place for V9938 support but they are inactive until I can test with an AVPC system.

TIMXT.zip

Edited by InsaneMultitasker
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

ZIP file contains three files in TIFILES format. Remove the extension if desired.

Changes in this release.

• Default baud rate is now 38.4Kbps on RS232/1.
  • Improved interrupt performance. No longer sporadic character loss.
  • RS232 buffer is limited to 4K. I will expand this to 6K or allow 8K supercart later.
  • Color interpreter fixed; no more sporadic green background (forgot to clear a register!)
  • Improved keyboard capture routine. Typing the same character (quickly) in succession may result in a dropped character; the high terminal speed and debounce requirements make this difficult to get 'perfect'.
  • Startup screen and menu changes
  • Added "CTRL-SHIFT" to immediately suspend display. While held, the interpreter will still buffer incoming data until it reaches capacity. This is -not- a xon/xoff key; this is local display only. I may add uni-directional handshaking or software xon/xoff to this routine at a later date.
  • File transfer timeout routine updated to reflect lack of interrupt timer.
  • Configuration and Macro data consolidated to provide for a save/load option in the future.

Edit: I have the program hooks in place for V9938 support but they are inactive until I can test with an AVPC system.

what is the latest version of TIMXT ? Mine says 10.18.91, is that the latest ?

Hi,

I have a DSK-file from 16.03.2016, and found the one from 17.03.2016 here.

How can I find out which one is the most actual version ?

I tried to find out myself, but if I start both versions (in Classic99, E/A-Option #5 -> DSK1.TIMXT))

I get the following screen ?

Maybe my versions are the wrong version (all have th same names),

(and I think it is not defective because I downloaded the 17.03.2016 again)

or I don´t know how to start it ?

Here the screen I get on both versions:

post-41141-0-11257800-1462184025_thumb.jpg

And the DSKs of both versions I have, (I made them with TI99DIR)

16.03.2016:

TIMXT-v02a-1300-1--19200-38400-F18A-NO-logbuffer-90KB.dsk

17.03.2016:

TIMXT-v02b-2016-03-17-90KB.dsk

Maybe somebuddy has an idea ?

I am a bit desperate after tinkering for some time now....

thanks

xXx