IGNORED

50 Pin SCSI CD Drive?

Tempest

I've got both the UW to 50 pin adapters, and the SCSI2SD. The UW to 50 pin adapter worked fine (IIRC, termination might have been an issue), while the SCSI2SD confused the heck out of the partitioning software on the Amiga. I also ran into a snag when I put my GVP 040 combo card in after prepping the hard drive from the SCSI card, the SCSI mysteriously stopped working. Plugging the SCSI cable into the GVP accelerator fixed that. ;>

As for the SCSI2SD SD card, I'm going to try to prep it in Amiga Forever/WinUAE first. If it works, it should save a boatload of time.

I have it all apart at the moment because I was also adding a Gotek drive, which gave me fits until I swapped out the 32GB USB stick with a 4GB stick (the only 4GB stick that I could find locally was a "Hello Kitty" stick, but sometimes a man has got to do what a man has got to do...).

I also followed wbochar's lead and got a Goldfinger card (Peak 650) for it. I'll have to expand the 8-bit slots to 16-bit (which will have to wait until I get off of the road), but that shouldn't be a big deal. The cards that I bought look to have both IDE and SCSI ports on them.

The cards: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271289697039?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I've got both the UW to 50 pin adapters, and the SCSI2SD. The UW to 50 pin adapter worked fine (IIRC, termination might have been an issue),

Yeah I got a cable with a terminator on the end. I'm just waiting for my Kickstart Switcher to be delivered so I can do all this stuff at once.

Another thing I plan on doing is trying to use a large Ultra SCSI hard drive (partitioned to a max of 4GB) on my A2000 using one of those cheap adapters you get on ebay. Finding actual 50 pin SCSI drives larger than 1GB is tough and they're always way expensive. This drie was free.

These adapters work with Amiga: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SCA-80-Pin-to-68-Pin-50-Pin-Ultra-SCSI-II-III-Adapter-Converter-SPC-2603-/262294026026?hash=item3d11f1372a

The Ultra Wide2 SCSI drives are cheap.

I got this adapter and 9.1GB HD for my CDTV with SCSI adapter, works fine.

These adapters work with Amiga: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SCA-80-Pin-to-68-Pin-50-Pin-Ultra-SCSI-II-III-Adapter-Converter-SPC-2603-/262294026026?hash=item3d11f1372a

The Ultra Wide2 SCSI drives are cheap.

I got this adapter and 9.1GB HD for my CDTV with SCSI adapter, works fine.

Great, that's the adapter I have.

Spinning rust... I think this weekend I'll try a 68-pin SCSI to SATA adapter with an SSD for fun. I'm waiting to install it into my Solaris server, but that keeps getting pushed back.

Ok I've got to ask. Why do you have a Solaris server at home?

Ok I've got to ask. Why do you have a Solaris server at home?

Originally for tinkering I had this and a couple of other Solaris boxes (Sparcs, the others, but they're not in use these days.) This has been my command-and-control server for my main server set for probably 15 years, now. AMD K6-III+/450 with 256MB RAM and a 128GB SSD. The SSD and adapter I noted above are actually for one of my production servers. I run a varying set of Solaris x86 machines, all but two of which have been virtualized. One will remain real-iron as it is an off-site secondary DNS and SMTP server.

Oh, and I have a dual ROSS 100MHz with 512MB RAM and a 64GB SSD in an Axil 320 (SS20 clone, I have pictures of that upgrade process in my albums) which I use for a syslog target and as the outbound server for customers who insist on bulk-mailing from their Exchange and for the mailing list server. It gets grey- and black-listed fairly frequently, but honestly mass-mailing is such a bitch.

• 3 months later...

On the matter of scsi adaptors, I need a backup scsi drive. My current 49MB drive is old as dirt and won't last forever so I needed a solution. Good thing for me, I have a stash of old pc servers with working lvd scsi drives. So for pennies compared to other adapters, I purchased a 50pin scsi to lvd adaptor. I'm going to guess lvd scsi are easier to come by.

This isn't the one I ordered, kind of wish I did. Waiting on China stinks.

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-100077-SCSI-HPDB-Adapter/dp/B001TIQ8G2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=atariage&linkId=881193bd66144ae53582fb1f0e358e03

The scsi2sd works extremely well in my Mac Color Classic, I think eventually I will replace the 20MB drive in the A2000 with one. I also added a sd-to-micro sd extension cable to the M.C.C. so that I can easily pull the drive and mount it in an osx g4 Mac Mini, which is modern enough to download files from the internet and yet still old enough to read and write the system 7 "hard drive" on the micro sd card. I imagine it would be harder to read the Amiga filesystem on a modern pc, but there are still situations where I can foresee easily swapping sd cards to run various hard drive configurations in the Amiga might be handy.

I also put a floppy emu in the M.C.C. which is similar to a gotek device, but it hasn't been very reliable, so I eventually pulled it out.

Did you ever find a beige drive? I did find one, though it is an Apple in an external case. What is the advantage of using a CD? Can CDTV programs be burnt on a OSX computer then played in this A2000/CD setup? Could they just be played from a scsi hard drive in any case?

Yes I did, but I switched to an A3000 so I put it in an external enclosure I had.

The reason I wanted the CD Drive was to transfer large amounts of data over to the Amiga. I don't know if CDTV games can be played on an A2000 or not (or CD32 games on a A4000 for that matter).