Photo

Odyssey Probe 2000 Pursuit of the Pink Panther

25 replies to this topic

#1 Lockepsb OFFLINE  

Lockepsb

Combat Commando

• 7 posts

Posted Mon Mar 7, 2016 10:05 PM

I have a copy of this game. I think I contacted the webmaster about it here like 10 years ago and I was wondering If anyone knows if it's worth anything.

#2 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

As Above

• 18,775 posts
  • So Below

Posted Mon Mar 7, 2016 10:54 PM

I have a copy of this game. I think I contacted the webmaster about it here like 10 years ago and I was wondering If anyone knows if it's worth anything.

If you are legit,  You already know damn well it's worth something.

#3 Lockepsb OFFLINE  

Lockepsb

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 7 posts

Posted Mon Mar 7, 2016 11:30 PM

yes it's a legit copy, it still has the label on it and I read a copy sold for almost $5000 on eBay about 9 1/2 years ago and that copy didn't even have the label on it.

#4 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

As Above

• 18,775 posts
  • So Below

Posted Tue Mar 8, 2016 11:46 AM

yes it's a legit copy, it still has the label on it and I read a copy sold for almost $5000 on eBay about 9 1/2 years ago and that copy didn't even have the label on it.

So where are the pictures and why did you even bother to ask if it had any value when you know it does?

#5 Foxsolo2000 OFFLINE  

Foxsolo2000

River Patroller

• 3,706 posts
  • Our future resides in the hands of fools!

Posted Tue Mar 8, 2016 12:10 PM

If it has a nice picture label it will be a reproduction and still be worth something but nothing like the true value if it was a legit proto.

#6 Lockepsb OFFLINE  

Lockepsb

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 7 posts

Posted Tue Mar 8, 2016 12:41 PM

So where are the pictures and why did you even bother to ask if it had any value when you know it does?

Anything that says prototype is worth something and I've only seen copies with hand written labels that have sold...

https://instagram.com/p/BCs8-pUwlcX/

https://instagram.com/p/BCs9FS9Qlcq/

#7 Foxsolo2000 OFFLINE  

Foxsolo2000

River Patroller

• 3,706 posts
  • Our future resides in the hands of fools!

Posted Tue Mar 8, 2016 12:52 PM

Now that is interesting.  How many of these have surfaced now?

Edited by Foxsolo2000, Tue Mar 8, 2016 12:54 PM.

#8 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Fallen Moderator

• 27,124 posts

Posted Tue Mar 8, 2016 1:50 PM

Now that is interesting.  How many of these have surfaced now?

I've lost count because I think some have changed hands privately.  So far I know of two with labels and at least two without.  This would be a third labeled one unless it's one of the other known two.  My guess is that there are at least 5 out there now.

#9 Lockepsb OFFLINE  

Lockepsb

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 7 posts

Posted Tue Mar 8, 2016 1:58 PM

I've lost count because I think some have changed hands privately.  So far I know of two with labels and at least two without.  This would be a third labeled one unless it's one of the other known two.  My guess is that there are at least 5 out there now.

I am one of the two, I contacted Alpert on here 10 years ago about this game. gave him pics and everything. My ex wife's cousin gave me a bunch of old video game stuff... PlayStation 1's, SNES, and Atari games. This was mixed in with the Atari games. I have been trying to figure out what system I need to obtain to try to test it out on. It almost looks like a 2600 board but the shape of the cartridge is all wrong.

#10 Scooter83 OFFLINE  

Scooter83

Dragonstomper

• 672 posts

Posted Tue Mar 8, 2016 2:10 PM

Looks like odyssey 2 cart

#11 Lockepsb OFFLINE  

Lockepsb

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 7 posts

Posted Tue Mar 8, 2016 2:17 PM

http://www.vectronic...2/cartridge.jpg

Doesn't look like this at all.

Looks like this.

https://instagram.com/p/BCtInjqwlVH/

Edited by Lockepsb, Tue Mar 8, 2016 2:21 PM.

#12 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Fallen Moderator

• 27,124 posts

Posted Tue Mar 8, 2016 2:53 PM

Looks like odyssey 2 cart

No that's a 'typical' Probe 2000 2600 case.  

Of course if it WAS an O2 cart you'd have something really rare.  The O2 version hasn't been found yet.

#13 Lockepsb OFFLINE  

Lockepsb

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 7 posts

Posted Tue Mar 8, 2016 3:15 PM

No that's a 'typical' Probe 2000 2600 case.  

Of course if it WAS an O2 cart you'd have something really rare.  The O2 version hasn't been found yet.

So does it work in any regular 2600 or is it for some other console?

#14 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Fallen Moderator

• 27,124 posts

Posted Tue Mar 8, 2016 3:31 PM

It should work on any 2600.

#15 Wickeycolumbus OFFLINE  

Wickeycolumbus

Red Sea Crosser

• 5,162 posts

Posted Tue Mar 8, 2016 5:11 PM

Cool!  Actually you must be the guy mentioned in this post:

http://atariage.com/...ebay/?p=1137819

It almost seems like Pink Panther is common as far as unreleased prototypes go, but of course that means it's still pretty rare.  You never know what will happen if you throw it on eBay.  Let us know if you are able to test it.

#16 Lockepsb OFFLINE  

Lockepsb

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 7 posts

Posted Tue Mar 8, 2016 7:24 PM

Cool!  Actually you must be the guy mentioned in this post:

http://atariage.com/...ebay/?p=1137819

It almost seems like Pink Panther is common as far as unreleased prototypes go, but of course that means it's still pretty rare.  You never know what will happen if you throw it on eBay.  Let us know if you are able to test it.

Yeah that was me. I live in the Seattle area and shortly after all this happened I had some family problems and threw the game in my storage unit. Came across it on Saturday and started digging around on information about it after that.

#17 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

As Above

• 18,775 posts
  • So Below

Posted Tue Mar 8, 2016 10:03 PM

Yeah that was me. I live in the Seattle area and shortly after all this happened I had some family problems and threw the game in my storage unit. Came across it on Saturday and started digging around on information about it after that.

It's still worth a lot but you missed out on your chance of getting the absolute top dollar. That ship sailed when a couple other copies sold in the meantime that you have been absent. There have been some reproductions made at one point also. I'd advise trying on ebay with a starting bid of 1 cent (no reserve, reserves are dumb) and let it ride for 10 days. I'm sure you will be happy with the sale price.

#18 Darrin9999 OFFLINE  

Darrin9999

River Patroller

• 3,156 posts

Posted Wed Mar 9, 2016 7:29 AM

It looks like a colecovision cart

#19 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Fallen Moderator

• 27,124 posts

Posted Wed Mar 9, 2016 8:16 AM

It looks like a colecovision cart

They may have used a Colecovision case.  I think one of the 2600 ones was found in a Colecovision case.  Remember Probe 2000 hadn't released any 2600 games at this point, but they had released a Colecovision game.  They probably used whatever they could find to protect the game.

#20 SiLic0ne t0aD ONLINE  

SiLic0ne t0aD

River Patroller

• 2,400 posts
  • Rock 'N Roller, Space Patroller

Posted Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:10 PM

I really hope this is the ColecoVision version, we've been hoping to check it out for quite a long time now.

#21 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

As Above

• 18,775 posts
  • So Below

Posted Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:32 AM

I really hope this is the ColecoVision version, we've been hoping to check it out for quite a long time now.

It's for the 2600.

#22 Crimefighter OFFLINE  

Crimefighter

Dragonstomper

• 949 posts

Posted Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:53 PM

What reproductions? I thought no one has shared the ROM with the gaming community.

#23 Supergun OFFLINE  

Supergun

Stargunner

• 1,093 posts

Posted Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:40 AM

Pink Panther was not your standard production run community controlled release. It was one of those special games that uses very unique architecture, such as bank switching, extra ram memory, etc.

Yes, a small handful of carts were made, most likely limited to just a small circle of the community; most who were involved with it and/or past projects.

The rom data is therefore not publicly or readily available. And. Even if it were, it's almost useless to the average person trying to build themselves a physical cart.

I think patience is the key here. Give it time. Some tech will eventually rework and modify the data so it can be used with another method.

#24 phattyboombatty OFFLINE  

phattyboombatty

Stargunner

• 1,179 posts

Posted Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:39 PM

Bruce - check out this. Probably the most comprehensive NAP/Pink Panther information out there on the web. As you can see, there was an Atari 2600, an Atari 8-bit, and a ColecoVision version planned. The ColecoVision prototype has more pins on the cartridge PCB. Would LOVE to have that CV version dumped, even if it is just a demo.

#25 Supergun OFFLINE  

Supergun

Stargunner

• 1,093 posts

Posted Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:16 PM

My biggest gripe with that whole Colecovision Pink Panther Proto debacle was with how conveniently it was swept under the rug that we were all misled & misinformed for months.

Whatever the explanation, be it the truth or not, I couldn't care less. Things happen, and I won't judge or question it. But, if he's back, and he's ready to do it again, then please just do it!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users