Trying to extract data from Atari 800 *.atr file, no luck

atari 800 atari 800 atr extraction 8-bit

3 replies to this topic

#1 glebanych OFFLINE  

glebanych

Combat Commando

• 2 posts

Posted Tue Mar 8, 2016 7:56 AM

Hi. I'm trying to extract music from one demo file (X-Files, The (1988-02-01)(SHP)(pl)[stereo]), all I get after extracting is 14 corrupted 1Kb files.

I tried to use ATADIM, makeATR, Altirra, etc- no luck...

Are there any chances to extract the sound files?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

P.S. The demo file itself- http://nitroroms.com...tereo].atr.html

#2 CharlieChaplin OFFLINE  

CharlieChaplin

River Patroller

• 3,092 posts

Posted Tue Mar 8, 2016 6:07 PM

Hmmm,

this looks like a bootdisk with no filesystem to me. Or the files are hidden somewhere.

Think MakeATR, Atadim and others will only extract files from a standard DOS 2.x filesystem.

#3 1050 OFFLINE  

Stargunner

• 1,100 posts

Posted Tue Mar 8, 2016 6:40 PM

From what I can see there is no DOS on this disk that would understand what a file is to begin with. So entries in the directory are using illegal file names with invalid directory flags and each 'file' is 4 sectors long only. I suspect the simulated VTOC, and directory sectors are just eye candy and this one needs to be disassmbled as a boot disk which has no files at all.

CharlieChaplin is right about most programs not being able to even mount this disk to extract any files.

#4 glebanych OFFLINE  

glebanych

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 2 posts

Posted Wed Mar 9, 2016 2:00 AM

Hmmm,

this looks like a bootdisk with no filesystem to me. Or the files are hidden somewhere.

Think MakeATR, Atadim and others will only extract files from a standard DOS 2.x filesystem.

From what I can see there is no DOS on this disk that would understand what a file is to begin with. So entries in the directory are using illegal file names with invalid directory flags and each 'file' is 4 sectors long only. I suspect the simulated VTOC, and directory sectors are just eye candy and this one needs to be disassmbled as a boot disk which has no files at all.

CharlieChaplin is right about most programs not being able to even mount this disk to extract any files.

Thanks for the info guys, after some trying found the music on Demozoo (http://demozoo.org/music/119914/) :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: atari, 800, atari 800, atr, extraction, 8-bit

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users