IGNORED

SCSI toIDE Adapter

RickyDean

I bought this from Ebay several months ago, and it was touted to be a Scsi to IDE adapter. I did not see the supposed scsi connector closely till I received it, but as you can see from the picture it does not have a standard connection. The IDE side is standard and plugs into a standard HDD and so forth. Does anyone think they recognize this adapter and can point me to a site with info. The seller was cryptic when I questioned him on them( I bought two) after the fact, saying he was told they were scsi to ide adapters, and the price was low, so I figured I would keep them, just in case.

post-41593-0-94522500-1457724403_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I bought this from Ebay several months ago, and it was touted to be a Scsi to IDE adapter. I did not see the supposed scsi connector closely till I received it, but as you can see from the picture it does not have a standard connection. The IDE side is standard and plugs into a standard HDD and so forth. Does anyone think they recognize this adapter and can point me to a site with info. The seller was cryptic when I questioned him on them( I bought two) after the fact, saying he was told they were scsi to ide adapters, and the price was low, so I figured I would keep them, just in case.

That is the 50 pin SCSI high speed plug. I had a normal SCSI plug in the SCSI card on the cables ran from the TI to the PC box with 9 SCSI drives in it.

Those are also the same plugs they today use for Serial SCS today that is faster then Serial SATA.

https://www.google.com/search?q=serial+scs+plug&espv=2&biw=1746&bih=842&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjp9t7ksbnLAhUByWMKHYJqAcgQ_AUIBygC#tbm=isch&q=50+pin+scsi+cable&imgrc=bXvN3BMCSJv6PM%3A

https://www.google.com/search?q=serial+scs+plug&espv=2&biw=1746&bih=842&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjp9t7ksbnLAhUByWMKHYJqAcgQ_AUIBygC#tbm=isch&q=50+pin+scsi+cable&imgdii=ZOgdUuoljxsdhM%3A%3BZOgdUuoljxsdhM%3A%3Bt8EZj9oPbcwYjM%3A&imgrc=ZOgdUuoljxsdhM%3A

You may need one of these:

https://www.google.com/search?q=serial+scs+plug&espv=2&biw=1746&bih=842&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjp9t7ksbnLAhUByWMKHYJqAcgQ_AUIBygC#tbm=isch&q=50+pin+scsi+cable&imgrc=8rOJ3iKi5um-JM%3A

Edited by RXB

That is the 50 pin SCSI high speed plug. I had a normal SCSI plug in the SCSI card on the cables ran from the TI to the PC box with 9 SCSI drives in it.

Those are also the same plugs they today use for Serial SCS today that is faster then Serial SATA.

https://www.google.com/search?q=serial+scs+plug&espv=2&biw=1746&bih=842&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjp9t7ksbnLAhUByWMKHYJqAcgQ_AUIBygC#tbm=isch&q=50+pin+scsi+cable&imgrc=bXvN3BMCSJv6PM%3A

https://www.google.com/search?q=serial+scs+plug&espv=2&biw=1746&bih=842&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjp9t7ksbnLAhUByWMKHYJqAcgQ_AUIBygC#tbm=isch&q=50+pin+scsi+cable&imgdii=ZOgdUuoljxsdhM%3A%3BZOgdUuoljxsdhM%3A%3Bt8EZj9oPbcwYjM%3A&imgrc=ZOgdUuoljxsdhM%3A

You may need one of these:

https://www.google.com/search?q=serial+scs+plug&espv=2&biw=1746&bih=842&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjp9t7ksbnLAhUByWMKHYJqAcgQ_AUIBygC#tbm=isch&q=50+pin+scsi+cable&imgrc=8rOJ3iKi5um-JM%3A

I appreciate the quick response Rich, but look closely at the connector(it's high resolution), it almost looks like an arrow going in one direction. A standard connector will not fit this, so I am doubting it being a standard scsi connection, that is why I am trying to figure out what it is. I have the other types too.

Edited by RickyDean

It is not a 50-pin connector. I am pretty sure this is the VHDCI 68 pin high density connector. A little tough to be 100% certain from my phone - look up the connector online and see if it matches.

no the arrow shape is different, unless I am looking at the wrong things. |===========> not \=============/. Any how none of the numbers on the PCB match anything on Google.

Edited by RickyDean

That is called an SCA connector; specifically, it looks like the drive side. SCA is a SCSI hot-plug interface which can carry signals for any level of SCSI. If that is the drive side of the connection, then this would convert an IDE drive for use on a SCSI controller.

That is called an SCA connector; specifically, it looks like the drive side. SCA is a SCSI hot-plug interface which can carry signals for any level of SCSI. If that is the drive side of the connection, then this would convert an IDE drive for use on a SCSI controller.

Thanks for your reply also, but I think not, the shape of the pictures, that I am pulling up is like the second one that I talked with the Insane one about. Look at the shape of the connector, it is rounded at the left side and arrow shaped on the right side. It actually looks like it is keyed for the incoming connector.

Edited by RickyDean

Yes, almost sure. But I really would like to see the other side, and a full pic of this side.

I think there must be a chip on the other side if IDE really goes to SCSI.

And I cannot see how many connectors there are.

Maybe this is just a plug-conversion for IDE. Dell often tinkers (or tinkered) such things.

The more I look at this, the more I think this is a proprietary back-plane connector, but possibly a back-plane capable of both SCSI and IDE (though perhaps not both at the same time.) Notice how you can see some of the lines are straight from the connector to the pin header. In SCSI, half the lines are ground, so that might make sense that these could be the SCSI ground lines, but the pin header is 40-pins rather than 50 for narrow SCSI, implying IDE.

It would be possible for it to be a back-plane with both SCSI and IDE signals segregated and using special adapters to pull the signals, since a narrow SCSI needs around 25 signal lines and IDE uses almost all 40, so 68 pins would cover that easily and prevent damage to the controller and drives if adapter signals are mis-matched. 68 pins seems pretty coincidental to UW-SCSI, but then again if the connectors are in easy supply making a big run of these boards would be pretty inexpensive.

With such an arrangement it might be possible to run both narrow SCSI and IDE at the same time with the adapters pulling from the correct signals on the back-plane. But then, it could also just be a common arrangement and different back-planes would carry UW-SCSI or IDE. I suppose you could key the adapters to match a certain way for certain boards (hence the arrow configuration of the connector.)

I agree: we need a picture of the other side of the board. Speculation could pull us in many directions.

Watching the other side now, this CANNOT be a "converter".

A SCSI-converter, for instance, must have some chips on the PCB,

to convert the signals from and to SCSI, a BIOS at least, for the Host-Bus.

But here on this board there are NO chips, NO "logic".

Either it is a complete fake, or a SCSI-to-SCSI-cabling adapter for a properitary system,

but from "40+10-SCSI" to "68--pin SCSI" ? I never ever heard about. But not impossible, of course.

Here, on a regular ACARD SCSI-converter, you can see what efforts (chips) are needed to convert IDE/SATA to SCSI....

And you need a BIOS-Chip for the HostBus-Adapter.... (as mentioned before, this all cannot be done by cabling only) :)

post-41141-0-74303200-1457972454_thumb.jpg

Or see here, what is needed for SCSi-to-MFM-converting :)

post-41141-0-25449900-1457972505_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yup. This is definitely passive. I stand on the theory this is a proprietary back-plane connector. I would love to discover this is some obscure drive interface standard, but I highly doubt it.

The 40-pins on the other side do not necessary need to be IDE. It could still be SCSI, but only narrow as UW-SCSI only has six ground lines out of 68 pins.

I wonder how much of that board could be replaced by FPGA.

• Like 1

That´s what I ment with the "40+10"-SCSI, instead of IDE.

Next to the 40-pin-connector there are additional 10 pins (2x5), on the left side.

you can also trace the lines on the board, going there....

....maybe this are the missing 10 pins to have SCSI-1 ? Or it is for jumpers...

No, I believe more in that theory of an IDE-to-Backplane-adapter.... or so

uuuuahhh strange :)

Watching the other side now, this CANNOT be a "converter".

A SCSI-converter, for instance, must have some chips on the PCB,

to convert the signals from and to SCSI, a BIOS at least, for the Host-Bus.

But here on this board there are NO chips, NO "logic".

Either it is a complete fake, or a SCSI-to-SCSI-cabling adapter for a properitary system,

but from "40+10-SCSI" to "68--pin SCSI" ? I never ever heard about. But not impossible, of course.

Here, on a regular ACARD SCSI-converter, you can see what efforts (chips) are needed to convert IDE/SATA to SCSI....

And you need a BIOS-Chip for the HostBus-Adapter.... (as mentioned before, this all cannot be done by cabling only) :)

attachicon.gifAcard AEC-7720UW 40-Pin IDE to 68-Pin SCSI Bridge.JPG

attachicon.gifAdaptec-ACB4070-SCSI2MFM-RLL-Adapter-07.JPG

Yea I think it is a SCSI cable adapter as it does not have the correct 68 pin plug I have on my SCSI cards for a PC. I have all the different types of cards. i.e. 50, 68, 80, 128

That´s what I ment with the "40+10"-SCSI, instead of IDE.

Next to the 40-pin-connector there are additional 10 pins (2x5), on the left side.

you can also trace the lines on the board, going there....

....maybe this are the missing 10 pins to have SCSI-1 ? Or it is for jumpers...

No, I believe more in that theory of an IDE-to-Backplane-adapter.... or so

uuuuahhh strange :)

Judging by the traces I can see, I figure they are jumpers. But what the hell for??

I agree... it has to be some special adapter. There's no electronics built into it at all to convert anything to anything. Just two connectors.

That being said.. This has some of the same markings: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Board-RD-6-5324-H161040015-2M-94V-0-11442-PCB-NEW-/331511167157

Have no idea what is is, but is has the same 2M 94V-0 on it.

I agree... it has to be some special adapter. There's no electronics built into it at all to convert anything to anything. Just two connectors.

That being said.. This has some of the same markings: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Board-RD-6-5324-H161040015-2M-94V-0-11442-PCB-NEW-/331511167157

Have no idea what is is, but is has the same 2M 94V-0 on it.

I believe that has something to do with it being RoHS complaint, not sure.