IGNORED

The 3DO thread

Are there any games that support eight players simultaneous? Maybe a sports game or Bomberman-like game?

If I'm right, the bonus game on The Perfect General works with eight. It has a little 8-player bomberman type game, and I think it's the only reason I play the game all that much. The most I ever got was four, but heck, that's the biggest amount of friends that I had that wanted to play it.

Edited by BurritoBeans
  • Like 1

...some people hate the guy in the intermissions, but the game is great fun...

...Personally, I think the controllers were great. I also thought the daisy chaining was an elegant solution to not needing a multi-tap or lots of ports on the system. And the headphone jack in the controller is great...

Hah, I remember my dad would absolutely hate the guy in the cutscenes. Personally I always thought it was just cheesy. Also, I do think the controller ports in the controller are nice. While they're not the best way, they at least don't make you need a multitap, like you said. The only issue I ever had was playing some of the multiplayer games, when one person would get mad, just to get at the other players, they'd unplug all the other controllers from theirs so we'd always stick the one who would get mad the easiest on the end :lol: And yeah, the headphone jack in the controller is cool. Most of the time nobody else in the house would want to hear the game, so it was nice to be able to turn the TV down and just slap some earbuds in the controller. Some of these features are still kind-of cool to me, and I have to admit, they sure make the system unique.

Another story, slightly OT:

I was a freak for Street Fighter in the early '90s, and was bummed SSFIITurbo never came out on Genesis or SNES. Our arcade never even got it. All we had was "regular" SSFII. When we (my equally obsessed friends and I) heard that SSFIITurbo *did* come out on the mythical 3DO--complete with Akuma and super moves and everything, and was arcade-perfect, no less--the system went from fringe console to the Ferrari of all game consoles in our minds.

Still, that's as far as the 3DO ever really got in my area. An exotic luxury system that we Sega- and Nintendo-owning mortals only dreamed about (we weren't even deterred by the confusing and underwhelming Supreme Warrior demoing at Software Etc.), since our parents didn't see why they should buy another game console only a year or two after buying the current one. Especially when it cost almost as much as a mortgage payment at the time. I only knew one kid who had a 3DO. At least, he said he did, he might have just been bullshitting, as kids tend to do. His dad was loaded, though. Both had an equal chance of being true.

By the time the price dropped to a point where our parents might plausibly be persuaded into purchasing a 3DO for Christmases and Bar Mitzvahs and what have you, we were captivated by the PlayStation.

• Like 1

Hah, I remember my dad would absolutely hate the guy in the cutscenes. Personally I always thought it was just cheesy. Also, I do think the controller ports in the controller are nice. While they're not the best way, they at least don't make you need a multitap, like you said. The only issue I ever had was playing some of the multiplayer games, when one person would get mad, just to get at the other players, they'd unplug all the other controllers from theirs so we'd always stick the one who would get mad the easiest on the end :lol: And yeah, the headphone jack in the controller is cool. Most of the time nobody else in the house would want to hear the game, so it was nice to be able to turn the TV down and just slap some earbuds in the controller. Some of these features are still kind-of cool to me, and I have to admit, they sure make the system unique.

That guy really WAS obnoxious. But the had to have FMV in there somewhere, right? Ha!

The earphone Jacks were a clever idea. I really wish modern consoles did that. I truly do. I'd get told to turn down the TV to practically a non-decipher able whisper by my wife a lot less.

• Like 1

The earphone Jacks were a clever idea. I really wish modern consoles did that. I truly do. I'd get told to turn down the TV to practically a non-decipher able whisper by my wife a lot less.

The PS4, Xbox One, and Wii U all do exactly that. The Xbox One also has the advantage of playing the sound via the headphone jack on its controller when you're watching TV as well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Great to see a 3DO thread here! My favourite console ever and I'm still obsessed with it today.

I've done a few bits given my undivided passion and was lucky enough to interview Silent Software's Reichart Von Wolfsheild from Return Fire. My favourite games include: Return Fire, Space Hulk, WCIII, Road Rash, Escape From Monster Manor and Killing Time.

I'm also find of Demolition Man, Night Trap, Sewer Shark & Supreme Warrior.

I wanted to paste the article on Reichart but as I'm on my phone I'll bung a link and update later. Hope you like it - lots of 3DO history and an insight behind the scenes at 3DO etc...

Also - damn sad to hear about the passing of Amiga/Lynx/3DO legend Dave Needle. :(

https://retrogamingblog.co.uk/2015/05/14/reichart-von-wolfsheild-3do-return-fire-and-the-industry/

• Like 2

Great to see a 3DO thread here! My favourite console ever and I'm still obsessed with it today.

I've done a few bits given my undivided passion and was lucky enough to interview Silent Software's Reichart Von Wolfsheild from Return Fire. My favourite games include: Return Fire, Space Hulk, WCIII, Road Rash, Escape From Monster Manor and Killing Time.

I'm also find of Demolition Man, Night Trap, Sewer Shark & Supreme Warrior.

I wanted to paste the article on Reichart but as I'm on my phone I'll bung a link and update later. Hope you like it - lots of 3DO history and an insight behind the scenes at 3DO etc...

Also - damn sad to hear about the passing of Amiga/Lynx/3DO legend Dave Needle. :(

https://retrogamingblog.co.uk/2015/05/14/reichart-von-wolfsheild-3do-return-fire-and-the-industry/

Hi Ash,

Great to see you posting on the 3DO thread. Excellent article you did with Reichart Von Wolfsheild and will be glad to see more of your works on here. See you soon my good man! :)

Anthony...

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys, I just ordered an FZ-10 w/the pack-ins, also picked up FIFA and Crash and Burn. Aside from the usual suspects, Madden, Road Rash, NFS, etc, are there any good hidden gems I should look for? Slam and Jam, Battlesport and PGA Golf are the next games on my list to track down.

Cool, thanks for the recs. I'm kind of over Alone in the Dark, played it on PC BITD but it might be fun to revisit. How's the Wolfenstein version compare to the Jag in your opinion? I was just reading about Monster Manor on VGC in another tab, looks pretty cool.

Are there any worthy import games? The Shin Chan puzzler looks like it might be up my alley.

Alone in the Dark gets a pass with me because there are some nice enhancements over the PC original, such as CD music, voice acting, etc. It does play sluggish but you can get used to it. Just stay away from Alone in the Dark 2 if you do decide to try them, it's nearly unplayable.

Wolfenstein 3D on the 3DO is great and is worth having even if you are familiar with the Jag one. It has all new music/sound effects and has far more levels (it has the trimmed down 30 level campaign that's in the Jag version, but then it also offers up the original 60 levels from the computer original). Framerate is a little choppy compared to the Jag version but the gameplay is very brisk. Strafing with the shoulder keys is very nice.

There are a bunch of import exclusives but I believe most of them are text-heavy and not English friendly. There is a collection of games by Warp dubbed "Short Warp", some of the games are pretty mindless but fun. There's a Bomberman-esque game as well, forgot the name of it. There are a few others I know of but it's a topic I haven't thought about in a while so I need to jog my memory, I'll try to post updates as I think of games.

I do recommend sifting through the 3DO Zone forums, I believe there is an import thread as well that's stickied in one of the sub-forums. http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/

• Like 1

Here's the import thread. Had to dig a little bit, it wasn't stickied.

http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=173&hilit=import

I went through a phase in 2010/2011 or so where I was trying to find good English-friendly 3DO imports. Found some interesting ones (Tower of Puzzle, Short Warp, Flopon the Space Mutant, etc), but I also found there was probably a good reason some of them were never released here (poor framerates, sluggish gameplay, lack of polish, etc). A good example there is Insector Wars. Neat concept, but almost unplayable.

Oh, not import-only, but if you like puzzle games, I recommend Trip'd and Icebreaker. First one is a block-dropper, ala Columns or something. Second one is harder to describe, check some videos out of it. I think those are hidden gems, they aren't talked about often at all.

3DO's unfortunately not a terribly popular topic among oldschool gamers. I think a lot of it is just that few have had real experience with the platform, so.. kind of like the Jag, there's less people talking about it--it's niche. Unlike the Jag however, you don't have anyone feverish about it (come to think of it, that may actually be a good thing). Seeing that you enjoy the Jaguar, it will be interesting to see what you think of the 3DO when you get it. FZ-10 was the right choice by the way in terms of the model.

• Like 1

Not yet really.

The issue with the 3DO is that unlike other consoles of the era, it use an OS instead of giving the programmers access to the hardware - so you have to know how to program the 3DO harware AND the OS.

Also, the 3DO feature a strong 128 bits key encryption that prevented unauthorized games from booting on the system. This encryption was cracked in 2012 only, which mean that prior to that date, the few homebrewer interested in 3DO could only play with MESS to see what they could do.

Some people on the 3DO forums are working on translating Japanese games such as Dr Hauzer, which is a start.